Want to know why carriers are blocking NFC in the 9900/9930?

Because they can't make money off of it, but they can on their own NFC program, called ISIS.

Carriers set to chip in $100M in Isis to take on Google — Tech News and Analysis

Carriers set to chip in $100M in Isis to take on*Google

By Ryan Kim Aug. 29, 2011, 8:35am PT No Comments
    Tweet

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are reportedly poised to invest $100 million in their joint mobile payment venture called Isis, a near field communication-based contactless payment system that will do battle in the increasingly competitive mobile payments market. According to Bloomberg, the carriers are still determining exactly how much to invest based on Isis� ability to obtain support from banks and merchants, but they could throw in a lot more money if the platform can gain momentum.

Isis will have to play catch-up with*Google Wallet ,*the open NFC platform launched by Google, MasterCard and Citibank. That payment system was unveiled in May and is set to open to the public soon. Google Wallet lets people pay for things by waving their NFC-enabled Android phone at point-of-sale terminals that are equipped to handle MasterCard Paypass purchases. However,*Google�s offering is limited right now to just the Nexus S from Sprint, and it hasn�t announced new credit card or banking partners beyond MasterCard and Citibank.

Isis, meanwhile, is backed by*credit card companies MasterCard, Visa , American Express and Discover. But the first trials won�t begin until next year in Salt Lake City and Austin, Texas. That will put it behind Google Wallet, though with few NFC-enabled devices available so far, it may not be that much of a disadvantage. But will consumers even embrace NFC payments on their handsets when the tech does become available? Questions about the security, reliability and fees of mobile payments still suggest that adoption will be slow, at least initially.

Google is trying to play up the openness of its platform, saying*it welcomes all partners. Isis, however, has a lot of strong relationships with manufacturers, who can pre-install the Isis application right on their phones. Isis is hoping that this, along with the support of the credit card companies can help it become a*universal digital wallet for all NFC payments.

For both Google Wallet and Isis, the key to attracting consumer attention appears to be in enabling digital offers and discounts via smartphone devices. Google isn�t taking a cut of *transactions made through its service, and is looking to instead link up Google Wallet with its Google Offers program, with Google making money from offers made to consumers. Isis, too, is looking at making its digital wallet a platform for*delivering targeted mobile offers to users based on their preferences and behavior.

Mobile payments are expected to be worth $670 billion by 2015,*with one in five smartphones worldwide employing NFC-based mobile payment functions, according to Juniper Research. It�s a big market opportunity, and it appears the carriers understand that making money in NFC payments is going to require a significant pool of starting cash.*You can hear more about mobile payments at*GigaOM�s Mobilize Conference*on Sept. 26 and 27 in San Francisco, where we�ll be discussing the issue during a panel called:*Mobile Payments 2012: Will This Be the Year?
    08-29-11 12:29 PM
    It all a out the bottom line with carriers and its to be expected. They are in the business to make it not loose it. But forums like these get their goat after while and they see what the public wants and they will eventually give in. With the high pace that smart phones are going things will change daily.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 01:09 PM
    Sprint isn't blocking nfc but big red and big T are trying to make their peeps pay a monthly fee or a fee per transaction.

08-29-11 01:49 PM
    There will likely be fees from BOTH the carrier AND the bank!

Right after the first of the year, our current administration has given the banks permission to fee us for everything!

Carriers like AT&T will use NFC one day or a system like it when they work out how to make money with it! That is good business of them.

Problem is people want everything for free or to be given to them, that is also our governments fault but they want you to depend on them for everything.
    drjay868 and Peppy690 like this.
    08-29-11 02:10 PM
    I have no doubt that VZW and AT&T will eventually allow RIM's NFC to work... they just wont allow us to get comfortable using it before they have the option to get you to use theirs, that they can charge for.
    08-29-11 02:16 PM
    Gee, and folks felt the same way against paying for streaming music, data, etc. Anytime something new comes along and there's a fee involved, folks will pitch a fit. If it's worth anything to them, they come around and after awhile you wonder how you ever lived without it!
    08-29-11 02:17 PM
    Wifi- Free
    Bluetooth- Free
    NFC- Lets charge for it. Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

Yeah, Clark why were you late for work this morning?

My Keycard didn't open the front door.

Why?

I forgot to pay my wireless bill so the door wouldn't open.
    snowindec9 and Kyle. like this.
    08-29-11 02:41 PM
    Sprint isn't blocking nfc but big red and big T are trying to make their peeps pay a monthly fee or a fee per transaction.

Where did you read this?
    08-29-11 02:43 PM
    The carrier can't really stop you from 'using' NFC, I mean the hardware is on the phone. Banks and carriers(not too sure about the carriers) will make a transaction fee, just Cirrus/Interac.

ISIS is more of a concentrated effort by American Carriers and Credit card companies to roll out a standard. If some carriers are 'blocking' NFC, who cares? Right now there is not much you can do with it. The carriers cannot charge you for having it on the device.
    08-29-11 03:29 PM
    NFC is just the technology fellas. It's free just like bluetooth. Its the payment service that you'll be paying for. So many people, so few brains.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-29-11 09:40 PM
    shouldn't be charged to use the nfc on the nfc equipped device.hope at&t realizes this.they are already making a profit on at&t navigator.
    08-29-11 10:21 PM
    Consumers will have their revenge here: the odds of any carrier pulling off a useful NFC service are slim to none. They're going to throw 100million at it? Great! The consultants & MBAs are going to get 100million free and clear and the carriers will walk away with yet another service that isn't worth a sh*t. Like AT&Ts medianet? ROTFLMAO. Me, as soon as I get mine, I'm ripping that sh*t right out of my phone. If you though handing over your money to an actual bank was bad... I have a feeling that after letting a carrier handle your cash for you you'll be thinking, "I needed that NFC like I needed teeth in my a**hole."
    08-29-11 11:17 PM
    Cool alternative to NFC: grow teeth in your a**hole, bite the antenna out of your credit card (using said teeth) and tape it to the back of your phone (with your hands and some scotch tape, mind you: not your newly grown a**hole teeth).
    The_Kills likes this.
    08-29-11 11:20 PM
    shouldn't be charged to use the nfc on the nfc equipped device
    Why should I be charged monthly to use my phone as a wifi Hotspot, when it already has the capability built in?
    08-29-11 11:22 PM
    Lol..

It's funny how things like this are always happening, yet look at how our economy is. For the majority of people, wages are static, if not barely rising, on top of inflation along with natural rise in prices for essentials and even luxuries.

Who needs a bedtime story to put them asleep when you can get some buffoon to tell them all of the graces of America.

Charging for NFC. FFS.
    08-29-11 11:26 PM
    Another cool alternative to NFC: Cash. Cold, hard cash: the stuff that really makes the checkout line move. The first time I have to wait and wait and wait for some dipsh*t clerk to try and connect their POS terminal to the network and then wait for the authentication to take place I'm going to freak out. All the time people spend waiting for the connection to take place is time that would have been better spent at an ATM. BUT if people must use this, and what the ****, maybe they iron it out someday in 2019, it should only be available, in a line that starts outside, next to the smoking area (because smoking is the other habit that I have that I need like I need teeth in my a**hole).
    08-29-11 11:27 PM
    I'd expect the credit card company to perhaps charge for it but to **** with the carrier that expects to get paid for me using a NFC enabled device. It wouldnt surprise me if AT&T did it. From what I've seen on here they love to rip off their customers. AT&T customers will probably have to use an OS from another carrier since the payment to the carrier will be on their OS. Hopefully this never happens.

08-29-11 11:29 PM
    OK here is information on NFC payment systems.
    Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There will be many operators of NFC payment systems and any NFC device such as the 99XX will be used on any and all systems that process payments. It will be like using a credit card on the may different systems that currently exist. Of course the reason the carriers want to process these payments is to use the cash and charge the merchants a fee for processing the payment. In reality it will be the same as swiping a Credit Card. You dont know what payment processor processes the transacton. The carriers are not going to block this technology because they will not be the only payment processor. My 2 cents. Read the article it pretty interesting.
    08-30-11 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD