I would just make them jump. If you have an itch for android or ios experience, then blackberry won't do it for you. You will just be miserable with you new blackberry.
    05-21-11 12:58 PM
    I would wait until it comes out so you yourself can compare it to the available androids, but that's just me.
    05-21-11 04:13 PM
    Whats with the thread police on here?God help you if you ask a question thats been asked before......relax its just forum!
    05-21-11 04:24 PM
    Heck even DocumentsToGo is cheaper on an Android than BB!
    Just so you know, the full unrestricted versions of DocumentsToGo will be shipped with the Blackberry 9900. So that puts paid to that!

I think whether or not you stick with Blackberry very much depends on what you use your phone for. Opinions regarding one phone over another are very subjective. What I can say objectively, however, is that Blackberry wins hands down over Android and iPhone if battery life and email is important to you.

Listen, I understand the temptation to switch to a "fancier" phone with more bells and whistles and more apps. Everyone likes the idea of having a mini computer in their pocket. Android and iPhones are certainly more advanced than Blackberry on that score. But the dream is not quite there, primarily because of battery life.

As a long term BB user, I've had forays with both iPhones and Android phones. I really wanted to use them. And I listened to the occasional claim that phone-x has "great battery life - 2/3 days according to some reports!" - they're all BS. If you are a heavy user, particularly if you're using it for business and leisure (lots of bluetooth calls, lots of emails and texts, lots of typing, document viewing/creating, lots of browsing, a bit of gaming here and there, maybe some music on the commute home) then the ONLY way an Android or iPhone is going to last you the whole day is if you recharge it at some point. If you're sat at a desk most of the day, that's fine. For those of us on the move, it's not. My iPhone would worry the **** out of me, by 2pm it would be at 30% charge. That is not good.

I need my phone to last a full day (morning till late at night) of heavy use on a single charge. Blackberries have done this for me, consistently. My 9700 would last halfway through the next day as well. And I am a hardcore user. I never once had to worry about recharging. With iPhone and Android, I don't care what anyone says, unless you're a light to moderate user you're going to be looking at that battery meter all day and worrying about it. And this is with many features turned off. With the iPhone, I still didn't get a full day even with 3G + location services + bluetooth turned off, with the screen at low brightness. With my Blackberry, I have EVERYTHING on full and it just lasts and lasts.

And email. Android and iPhone do NOT have true push email, it has a workaround whereby the phone is constantly polling the server to check for mails. Blackberries are sent a message over the network when there's an email, so it doesn't have to keep checking. This is a huge factor when it comes to battery drain. With push Gmail activated on my iPhone, it was bye-bye-battery.

And don't ever think a touchscreen keyboard is going to be as good as a real one. BB's have the best keyboards hands down. I tried Swype on Android and also got pretty good at typing normally on my iPhone. But it just wasn't the same - I believe you express yourself better with a real keyboard because of the physical connection. And I can always tell when friends are emailing or Facebook posting with a touchscreen, because their sentences are full of mistakes. If you're in business and emailing clients etc, this is unforgivable.

I think the 9900 will be the sweet spot as far as Blackberry's are concerned. They screwed up with the Torch. Us business oriented BB users don't need a full sized screen, especially when it has Bold-like sharpness. And we didn't like the way the Torch was too long and unsteady in the hand when the keyboard was out. The 9900 looks to me like the best of all worlds - a sweet, powerful processor that uses low power, a stunning crisp touch screen, a real keyboard, enough memory to run everything slickly and smoothly. Since I don't play games and I'm not interested in gimmick apps, I will be upgrading to the 9900 and will continue to avoid iPhone and Android until they can bring us a phone with BB-like battery life that handles email properly.
    05-21-11 04:25 PM
    As someone who paid 550 bucks for his Nexus S when it came out, and who is a current Android user as his main phone (for the time being), I'm gonna have to say wait for the Bold. And if you read my posts there is no bias here, I bash RIM all the time, lol. I personally am not seeing the insane appeal over Android just yet, perhaps that will come in the future for me but right now I'll stick to iOS (on my ipad) and getting the new bold. Should be a perfect storm.
    05-21-11 04:40 PM
    As someone who paid 550 bucks for his Nexus S when it came out, and who is a current Android user as his main phone (for the time being), I'm gonna have to say wait for the Bold. And if you read my posts there is no bias here, I bash RIM all the time, lol. I personally am not seeing the insane appeal over Android just yet, perhaps that will come in the future for me but right now I'll stick to iOS (on my ipad) and getting the new bold. Should be a perfect storm.
    It's good to see an android user's perspective. You mind sharing why you get this phone? Any particular reason?
    05-21-11 05:53 PM
    It's good to see an android user's perspective. You mind sharing why you get this phone? Any particular reason?
    There are things I like and dislike about every type of established OS (those being BB, Android, and iOS). I think that speaking purely on utility nothing beats Blackberry, but the knock has always been that it was limited to ONLY utility. I mean with OS6 they improved the browser but come on, it's hard to defend the experience. With the Bold 9900 I feel like they've kept the utility (even improved on it with bigger keyboard + touch screen), but have finally made it a versatile device. For the first time you might still be missing out on stuff, but not as much stuff as you used to. It'll be snappy, have a good browsing experience (as good as it gets on a classic form-factor blackberry), a touch screen, potential* for better apps because of CPU power, better camera, etc...

But of course if you wan't the better all-round (and don't mind all touch) experience you'd take an iOS device for the best quality hardware, most apps (that are actually good, unlike Android where there are many apps but the quality is low), great media experience for music and all that, best camera, and so on. I feel like Android is a bit of an inbetweener that don't get me wrong, there is a large fanbase for and I understand why people like it, but this is just my perspective, as asked for.

The reason why I'd choose the bold over the upcoming iPhone 4S is because 1) 4S will be an incremental upgrade whereas Bold 9900 will be a massive upgrade (in relation to the phones that came before them), and 2) iOS is an experience you can get in other places. You can get an iPod touch or an iPad or something, and that's what did it for me. With an iPad I get all the benefits of iOS, and with a bold 9900 I get all the benefits of blackberry, best of both worlds.

I'm sure the situation differs for everyone but that's my logic in why I will get the bold 9900. But next year when the iPhone 5 comes out, and hopefully Android will be better, and the even newer Bolds (possibly QNX equipped come out), I start from scratch in deciding, lol. But this year it's set in stone for me.

/long post but you ask and you shall receive
    05-21-11 07:39 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD