See PDF attachment below...

I have the 9700 and love it but what I hate seems to be just as strong as my love for my Bold.

I was in this same spot I'm in now when I had my Palm Treo 750 running WM 5.0 and at that point I began doubting if Windows Mobile could remain truly competitive. I stuck with them a little longer than I wanted when I bought an HTC Fuze and then I was done after that device and jumped to BlackBerry Bold 9700. Looking back, I felt I definitely made the right decision and I have NEVER regretted it, especially hearing how WM 7.0 STILL wouldn't fit my needs...STILL after they had a chance to push ahead.

Well, I feel the same way about RIM in general today as I did about WM back then. Even a baby eventually starts to walk and then run and I feel RIM is stuck back at the crawling (maybe walking) phase when compared to Android. Simply put, I'm going to go where most (if not ALL) of my important needs are met and RIM doesn't seem to be accomplishing this for me personally. So now I'm thinking about jumping off another sinking ship and maybe try Android to see if this will fit my needs.

I am still interested in waiting for the new Bold but I've also been doing some research for Android phones, particularly with Syncing Outlook (which is a priority to me and BB does it really well) and if this program can do this equally or better than BB, for an Android device, then they have my full attention b/c as I see it, it can only get better from there! I spoke to a tech this afternoon at CompanionLink (they make the software that sync's pretty much anything to any device) and he sent me a PDF that really has me seriously considering moving on from BlackBerry IF this info is accurate.

I'm not doing this to bash on BlackBerry but to get feedback from us BB users to see if everything they claim about making the jump from BB to Android is as beneficial as they claim.

If an Android phone can do what my BlackBerry does and MORE, then I too am at a loss as to why I'm hoping BB will start "running" again instead of maybe walking at this point and eventually crawling if they continue their lack luster path of mediocrity.

So here is the PDF (attached below) and the graph on page 1 I think says it all...

(It’s worth pointing out that this is from a third-party software company that has no reason to favor one OS over another by the way).

P.S. I still like a physical keyboard though so we'll see how this ends up for me but very interested in hearing comments, especially about things I might not be considering yet. Heck even DocumentsToGo is cheaper on an Android than BB!
    Last edited by Nickerz_BB; 05-17-11 at 06:16 PM.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    05-17-11 06:12 PM
    I just want to point out that swype is no longer free or in the Market place. Just an FYI.
    05-17-11 06:17 PM
    After read today's news about security on Android platform, I hold back and will stick with my BB a little longer.
    NewsFactor Network | Researchers Find Android Security Vulnerability
    05-17-11 06:23 PM
    I would take that article with a grain of salt (perhaps much more than a grain). They claim that Android has equivalent security but have a look at this - 99.7% of Android phones are affected by this security flaw and it looks like just about every week a new flaw is discovered.
    05-17-11 06:30 PM
    Android grow too fast and diversified. With OS customized and build by different vendors, it was what Microsoft faced 10 years ago.
    05-17-11 06:33 PM
    You're going to end up in the same boat with Android. You'll love some things and hate others...

One thing being your phone will feel outdated, old and forgotten 1-2 months after you buy it. The other being the lack of good hardware keyboards (depending on the carrier. On AT&T you're absolutely screwed).

There's a bunch of other stuff but this will get too long...
    05-17-11 06:38 PM
    Just switch back to the berry and deal the TB on CL's before its worth nothing!
    05-17-11 07:12 PM
    I've used a blackberry forever and dumped my 9780 in December for the Nexus S. I just grew tired of RIM not progressing it's products. Os6 was nothing and it looks like Os7 is the same. RIM seems to love to be years behind everyone else, they also love talking about new technology but never actually introducing it. Once they do introduce it, it's outdated. They just take forever in my opinion.

On the flip side the phones work and they perform the foundation functions people need to operate a phone. Text, email, messaging, browsing and security all efficiently.

Overall no phone is going to be perfect. The 9900 doesn't have tethering. Not a giant deal until I'm in the airport with my iPad and need a connection. It also doesn't have a front facing camera for video chat. Again not a giant deal until you want to video chat with someone. I'm not bashing the phone but it should have these capabilities. This is the most frustrating thing to me. The screens are also small and it diminishes the browsing experience.

I wish my nexus s had a keyboard and I'd be satisfied. The only other issue is the battery life. Some days heavy use I'm lucky yo yield 8 hours.

The hardest thing for me is RIM makes great phones but you can't help but be disappointed in lacking features. When I heard about the 9900 I thought this was the one, I think it'll still be great but will fall short as usual.

This isn't even considering the QNX wait that is going to occur over the next year. It will be nonstop articles and specs about QNX but by the time you have a QNX powered device in your hand it won't matter.

Overall android is good, but some things will frustrate you. Try it first.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    05-17-11 08:16 PM
    no matter how ahead android may be compared to blackberry when it comes to technologically advanced,it still falls short in average battery life. whats the use of having all those widgets if you can't make it through the day with heavy use.if android improves that,then rim and blackberry will have to hope qnx matches up or surpasses the competition.
    05-17-11 08:41 PM
    "Overall no phone is going to be perfect. The 9900 doesn't have tethering." then why does the specs list " 3G mobile Hot Spot"??
    05-17-11 08:41 PM
    "Overall no phone is going to be perfect. The 9900 doesn't have tethering." then why does the specs list " 3G mobile Hot Spot"??
    Not sure about this. But I've heard no tether. Hopefully I'm wrong. Either way expressed my thoughts.
    05-17-11 08:47 PM
    Where does it state '3G Mobile Hot Spot' in the specs? http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/bl...specs-611157/?

It mentioned that option in the 'rumoured' specs before the official announcement, but it hasn't been confirmed since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 08:48 PM
    I'm encountering the same dilemma with my Storm2. With all these new phones comming out, I will be researching and looking at which will best meet my needs, and try it out.
    05-17-11 08:48 PM
    Where does it state '3G Mobile Hot Spot' in the specs? http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/bl...specs-611157/?

It mentioned that option in the 'rumoured' specs before the official announcement, but it hasn't been confirmed since.

The thing is Telus here in Canada saying that 9930 WILL have the capability of tethering, but we have to pay to Telus Mobility to push the service books. However, I heard that there are apps you can load to your phone such as tether for blackberry may be able to bypass such service provider based restrictions.
    05-17-11 08:58 PM
    well i been in ur shoes and jumped the gun and got an evo... after 2 months i went back to a blackberry bold... yes android has thousands of apps. but 1/25th of that is actually useful... and when u did find an app u will get bored of it quickly... blackberry have have only 20,000 apps or so but at least most of them are useful.. and the battery life is impecable compare to any android phone
    05-18-11 12:13 AM
    I've had every mobile OS there is. Yet I always come back to blackberry. Android is good. Big screen, hdmi mirrioring, front facing camera, dual core processor, apps etc. There is a lot to like about android. It also has its issues. Phone is usually outdated or old as soon as you get it (that's usually everything when talking about technology), they will announce a newer, better one a month after. So you're thinking wow dual core processor, 4.3" screen. I got to have that when you just bought a new phone. I found myself switching phones a lot when I was using android. I'm guessing maybe I was never really satisfied with the product or what I had. I found myself wasting a lot of money. Had the G2X. Then they announced the Sensation, Galaxy S2 got great reviews. I'm thinking, now I want the Sensation or the Galaxy S2 f***! That's not good. Hardware issues, weak signal, battery life. Worrying if you will be updated to the newest os. I shouldn't have to root my phone to do that. Too open. Meaning anybody can take android & do whatever they want with it. Carrier bloatware which makes it harder to be updated to the newer os etc... Weak 8 mp cameras that aren't any better than RIMS 3.2 mp cameras. For me bb just works. I'm way more productive with it than I am with any other OS. Form factor, the look suits me better. Don't need apps, front facing camera, games etc. The only thing that pulled me away from bb is the browser & they seem to be making that better so I'll be sticking with bb. Don't get me wrong bb has its issues also. With that said just play with both & see which one fits you best.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    05-18-11 06:48 AM
    I never understand why people make posts like this. WE cannot decide for YOU, WE are not using the phones YOU are. Listening to us doesn't do anything if YOU aren't happy with your phone experience.

I've been through a lot of phones because I'm a phone ***** - that's my experience and it can never replace what YOUR experience is on any phone. You gotta wade through the waters and decide for yourself what fits best for YOU.
    05-18-11 06:53 AM
    Now more elaborate answer.

Go to the mirror. And ask yourself. We can give pro's and cons. For example a con of BB would be that it is in its evolving stages.
    A pro would be that it has battery(usually)

05-18-11 06:55 AM

05-18-11 07:34 AM
    I never understand why people make posts like this. WE cannot decide for YOU, WE are not using the phones YOU are. Listening to us doesn't do anything if YOU aren't happy with your phone experience.

I've been through a lot of phones because I'm a phone ***** - that's my experience and it can never replace what YOUR experience is on any phone. You gotta wade through the waters and decide for yourself what fits best for YOU.
    Some people want a second opinion, nothing wrong with that. Others are just curious how others think about it.
    05-18-11 07:34 AM

I never understand why people make post like this. If you're not going to offer any benefit or help to the thread then why even respond? We are all here to help each other. Pro/Cons of each OS etc. I'm pretty sure the person knows its THEIR decision. Just like if you go get a doctor's opinion, then go see a 2nd doctor for their opinion. I'm pretty sure YOU know the decision is ultimately up to YOU. Doesn't mean YOU don't need or want others opinion. Don't be an a**hole.
    05-18-11 07:47 AM
    Just my opinion of course - if your primary needs are messaging and communication, stick with a BB. Nothing is better for that - with the keyboard shortcuts within the stock apps, the unified inbox, the physical keyboard - - all superior to what Android can do. Apps can make Android come close, but still not on par with BB. If you also want robust browsing, bigger displays and Google services like free turn-by-turn navigation, go with Android. You'll sacrifice the outstanding battery life on a BB and the superior communication capabilities, so you have to weigh the extras you get on Android versus what you lose on BB if you switch.
    05-18-11 08:59 AM
    It's a fair question - I have had a couple of pretty good Android phones in the past and currently like my Torch and am waiting for the Bold Touch... but doesn't that Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc look sweet?
    05-18-11 10:53 AM
    i definitely agree with kjjb0204 completely. however, not so much about the battery life. i'm on the dinc2 right now and it has great battery life. another android phone coming soon - the galaxy s2 has been used and reportes 2-3 days of battery life with use, not on standby. so while yes i agree that in the past, bb battery life > android battery life, now with the newer gen processors being much more efficient, and better screens like the super amoled, battery life from android phones will be on par, if not better than bb's. but everything else kjjb0204 said i think is right - for messaging, BB >>>> android.
    05-18-11 01:11 PM
    I've been back and forth so many times with Android and Apple and keep going back to my BB. I just love the battery life and the light notification and getting to see my messages when I pull it out of the holster without having to swipe here or there and click here then here. These were the biggest plus's for me and no matter how I tried to modify any other phone, nothing could do what the BB did with those 3 important features to me. I've always been curious and I guess I got influenced by the "new phone" hype, but when the hype is gone on your new phone, at the end of the day, all you want is the phone to function the way that suits your lifestyle the best. For me, it was always coming back to BB. Try it out and only you will truly know.
    05-18-11 02:31 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD