So walked into a "Premium Retailer" Verizon store today. Talked to one of the reps and asked him if he knew when the BB 9930 was going to be released? He didn't know but said, "If you go online to engadget.com you can find out". I said thanks.

He then proceeded to ask me why I wanted a BB instead of an android phone. I told him that BB offered a great device that I can get without a camera (since I can't have one at work). He goes, "I don't think BB's come without cameras". I kind of chuckled and proceeded to tell him to bring up verizon's website and look at the Bold 9650 and that there will be a non-camera version. He did and said, "huh! You learn something new everyday".

Are you kidding me! How do they not know something like that?
    07-15-11 03:59 PM
    Verizon forces their reps to push android phones. I read a post her a few months ago from a former rep who stated they could get in trouble for not pushing enough android phones, even if they sold 50 BlackBerry's.

Plus it's Verizon, what do you expect.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    07-15-11 04:13 PM
    Plus it's Verizon, what do you expect.
    In-store knuckleheads are comparable with VZW & AT&T. Coverage and service is where AT&T falls behind.
    07-15-11 04:20 PM
    I hear ya. I walked into a verizon store last week because I am thinking of switching from Sprint to Verizon because of spotty coverage at my house. I asked one of the reps how much data I would consume if my phone used the XM radio app and how having BES service would affect my data usage. I asked this because of their new tiered data plans. I got the deer in the head light look.
    07-15-11 04:26 PM
    Yeah, reps don't really know jack when it comes to phones. They just know how to sell them. And even that is hit or miss.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-15-11 04:30 PM
    People are people no matter where they work, and run the gamut from barely competent (or even incompetent) to absolute experts in what they do.
    07-15-11 04:34 PM
    People are people no matter where they work, and run the gamut from barely competent (or even incompetent) to absolute experts in what they do.
    Yeah, I agree with you. But there seems to be an unusually high percentage of incompetent to barely competent employees at the Verizon stores; around me anyways.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    07-15-11 06:25 PM
    Verizon in store reps know about as much as BestBuy in store employees.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-11 09:00 AM
    You can go to any business anywhere and this will be true.
    07-16-11 09:19 AM
    It is all about being a successful sales person. It has nothing to do any thing except moving merchandise. I feel sorry for someone who has no idea what is going on and walks into a wireless store.
    mustangv8 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-16-11 09:44 AM
    None of this is surprising. I worked in a T-Mobile store for a short time and every single person there didn't cre one bit about what was upcoming, news, etc. They were there to sell and get paid.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    07-16-11 10:53 AM
    Yeah, I agree with you. But there seems to be an unusually high percentage of incompetent to barely competent employees at the Verizon stores; around me anyways.
    Sprint stores are no better (if you can find one)

anon(73368) likes this.
    07-16-11 02:51 PM
    So walked into a "Premium Retailer" Verizon store today. Talked to one of the reps and asked him if he knew when the BB 9930 was going to be released? He didn't know but said, "If you go online to engadget.com you can find out". I said thanks.

He then proceeded to ask me why I wanted a BB instead of an android phone. I told him that BB offered a great device that I can get without a camera (since I can't have one at work). He goes, "I don't think BB's come without cameras". I kind of chuckled and proceeded to tell him to bring up verizon's website and look at the Bold 9650 and that there will be a non-camera version. He did and said, "huh! You learn something new everyday".

Are you kidding me! How do they not know something like that?

I get the same thing everytime. I feel less confident of owning my BB everytime I leave. I see all the droids that actually work. Guy even tried convincing me of quitting my bbm to get off my junk.
    07-16-11 04:48 PM
    You are talking to the wrong reps, need to find someone who loves their job and what they do.

I walked into a Best Buy Mobile shop in our mall, and the chick there was alone and wife was buying an Evo4g, i asked her about the Evo3d, probably 3 weeks before it was released and she was all "hold on" and brought out a display model from the back, was awesome.

Was really nice to see someone into their job and going that extra mile for someone.
    07-17-11 01:47 AM
    I've had the same experience, it's absurd.
    Last time I went to best buy the employees didn't even know how to connect the tablets to the store wifi.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-17-11 02:33 AM
    It really does not matter which carrier's store you visit. The people in the stores are salespersons, but they do not have much knowledge of technical service for the most part.

I had a Nokia E71x before I got my first BlackBerry. I spent 6 hrs. in the AT&T store while 3 reps and the manager all failed to resolve battery and email issues. They DOA'd the device I returned, plus 3 other devices. I ended up getting a BlackBerry 9000 after complaining about my loss of time. Back in May 2009, the BlackBerry 9000 was $100 more than the Nokia E71x. The manager gave it to me for the same price, due to their cluelessness and my persuasiveness.
    07-17-11 03:55 AM
    We all must remember that it is US that is not normal. We are obsessed with our phones where they sales people are trying to make a living and get through life. They do not think like we do and do not keep track of all the new releases. They live in now as that is all they got to sell.
    07-17-11 07:31 AM
    This post is too funny. I was visiting friends in Florida, while there I saw a Verizon Store, walked in and ask the sale rep about the BB Bold 9930. He told me that Verizon had rejected the new BB's. At that point, I turned around and walked out.. Just couldn't believe he told me that...
    07-17-11 10:29 AM
    This thread makes me want to just pull over each time I pass a VZW store and ask a rep this same question just for chits n giggs...
    Here's what I would say if I worked at vzw and wanted to lie or just make up stuff:
    Customer: "scuse me sir, when is the new bb 9930 coming to Verizon?"
    Me: (looks to my left, looks to my right, grabs the customer by his arm and sashe's him off to a corner of the store and whispers) -- Oh, the new 9930 is coming to this store extra early, were getting them tonight and doing a 'stealth release'. So if you get here at midnight, you may, and I mean MAY get lucky. Don't tell anyone, or we will ALL die."
    -=]

Last edited by Mamaluka; 07-17-11 at 12:26 PM.
    Jo5329 likes this.
    07-17-11 12:22 PM
    You are talking to the wrong reps, need to find someone who loves their job and what they do.

I walked into a Best Buy Mobile shop in our mall, and the chick there was alone and wife was buying an Evo4g, i asked her about the Evo3d, probably 3 weeks before it was released and she was all "hold on" and brought out a display model from the back, was awesome.

Was really nice to see someone into their job and going that extra mile for someone.
    That's a great(and rare) story but these big companies could care less if the people they hire "love their job".All they want is "telemarketers" who focus on pushing merchandise out the door.Knowledge and customer attention will take a back seat to sales quotas every time. And it's a shame it has to be like that.

Last edited by experiment626; 07-18-11 at 10:42 AM.
    07-18-11 10:39 AM
    I had the sales rep and manager tell me they could not unlock my 9630, there was no way to unlock it (my fault for not calling customer service first). The manager told me I should get it unlocked when I went over seas and that I am not able to take it to another carrier. "It won't work on an at&t, t-mobile or sprint, you can't do it." I stated it was a world phone but he still insisted that just meant it would work overseas. I sort of want to take my BB back running at&t back to him this weekend... But part of me doesn't want to come across as a huge a$$.
    07-18-11 11:58 AM
    I went to Best Buy yesterday and the rep tried to talk me out of purchasing a Blackberry. He said, "Why get a Blackberry? Have you seen these Androids..." Ugh.

I understand that they won't be able to answer all our questions and at times they know less than us and can even be incompetent but there is no reason to talk me (or anyone else for that matter) from making a purchase of a Blackberry.

My guess is this is what's happening all over the country. This is precisely why Blackberry's aren't doing too well.
    07-18-11 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD