I am using an unlocked Vodafone uk 9900. I am a heavy user, lots of bbms and whatsapp. Couple of emails and texts and some browsing. Check twitter every 30mins.
    I have been having terrible battery life. This is my 4th day with this device and every night i leave it at charge for about 10-12 hours. Still no good. My batterry drains in 7-9 hours. I double charge everyday. I am using .296 its the one my device shipped with. But i need my 9700s battery life, i could make it to bed with %20 juice left. My backlighting is %10. And auto dim is at 10 secs.
    Vodafone 9900 users what did you do to avoid this problem?
    Help please!!!
    Thanks
    09-03-11 12:46 PM
    I found that after shrinking my OS of some of the media bloat e.g. facebook etc I'm getting about 1.5-2 days with useage much more than you.
    09-03-11 12:51 PM
    Which is the best os? Or what has been good for you?
    09-03-11 12:52 PM
    Some say 261 but with the fixes in 353 I found this to be roughly the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 01:08 PM
    Its simple, his phone has OS 296 which is horrible on battery life and has annoying bug in the browser where it would click links randomly and go berserk
    Really??...wow wish mine would do stupid things like that...im running 296 and have absolutely zero issues but then i havent got a network branded model...usually they are full of bugs because of the operator crap they put on there.

Was always wary of getting a network branded BB...my missus has my white 9780 vodafone branded device and compared to a sim free version...its much much slower.
    09-03-11 01:13 PM
    I'm Voda and updated to .353 immediately. Battery life isn't stellar, but much better - I would suggest you give it a try...
    09-03-11 01:33 PM
    Maybe that explains it, my 9900 came with 296 and in the browser i used to get random links clicked here and there.

I also confirmed this with a few people on the forums.

Maybe it's because most carriers like Vodafone and such preload it wiht their crap

I guess you have wiped / installed fresh heh?
    Nope i bought mine sim free/unlocked ie not branded by any carrier...sure it costs more but id rather pay outright for a phone that doesnt suffer from network branding problems....plus i wont be able to upgrade till at least next sept as it currently stands but even then i wont be keeping a network branded phone...usually i sell them straight away.

But im gonna try 353 out tomo and see how it works out..worse comes to worse i can go back to 296 which has been pretty solid for me.
    09-03-11 01:40 PM
    I'm Voda and updated to .353 immediately. Battery life isn't stellar, but much better - I would suggest you give it a try...
    How long does it last? And how's your usage?

09-03-11 01:43 PM
    There are too many variables in play to suggest that battery life for one is worse than an another.

Its like why cant I get 45mpg out of my SUV in Scotland when Joe Bloggs in France can.

Your location (which is generally mobile anyway) will have an impact on battery life. Sit a mobile phone on a desk and use it, sit it in a moving train and use it EXACTLY the same and it will use much more power. Simples. Im just saying that the network in your area will have a huge impact. How often the phone hands from one cell to another, how strong/weak is the signal will mean less/more power the phone has to use to keep that signal.

Im on a voda branded 9900, and although the battery life is not fantastic, its do-able for me.

Wake at 6am, phones off charge for a short while.
    Get in car and put phone on car charger, get to work around 8ish.
    Use phone all day, generally 10 to 20 calls, all lasting a few minutes, 3 or 4 facebook updates, maybe a couple of check ins on facebook, a few BBMS or texts. Maybe a few mins of web browsing.

Leave work late afternoon and battery will be around 40%.

Put it on charge again in the car and by the time im home its back at 100% where it stays off charge till I go bed at 12 ish.

I just keep it on charge when I can, before when i NEED to.

By the way, notice how quickly it charges? (my glass is half full, not half empty ;-) )

Steve
    09-03-11 02:08 PM
    I bought mine online via Gummobile it unbranded and I had it shipped to the Uk as I was staying with my mother around the time of release. It came with .296 however I roamed on Vodafone Uk for my 10 day stay and battery life was pretty awful although the network showed a strong signal, my battery was dead by the afternoon, I was starting to turn everything off, although I then decided there was no point in doing that and I would have to charge the whole time and pre-ordered the battery pack in the meantime. I arrived back in Italy 2 days ago and I can now get through the day and I am talking from 7am - 11pm with extra to go, so I do believe you people in the Uk have a very congested network, here I am back on Vodafone Italy and very happy about it
    09-03-11 03:12 PM
    How long does it last? And how's your usage?

Medium usage: Up at seven, on all day until eleven, around thirty emails, half a dozen texts and BBM's. A little surfing, no music and not much video, but perhaps eight or ten 15 minute calls. By the time I'm ready for bed, I'm generally down to around 20% and I have once got to less than 10% after a lot of calls.

On the stock OS, I wouldn't have lasted until 6pm...
    09-03-11 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD