I am at my witts ends ends now Ive been using smartphones for longer than anyone I know, I used to use a Compaq Ipaq with a pcmcia sleeve with a gprs card in it....

The 9900 has the absolute worse of the worse battery life of any device I have had in the last 10 years, yes its a smartphone, no I am not expecting more than 24 hours use, however I cant even get 6 hours.

I am on vodafone UK, its running 7.1.0.714 Ive replaced the battery 3 times with genuine ones, I use a Vodafone sure signal at home so transmitter power is not being hammered. (I have tried without the suresignal too)
    Its charged every night, all night.

Ive not left the house today I got up at 8, wifi is on Bluetooth is off I have been on the phone for just over 1 hour and have done no browsing, I did however use blackberry bridge with my playbook for 15 minutes..... it is now 12.35 and my battery is down to 30% there nothing running in the background, location services are disabled, Ive deleted gokivo, whatspp, everything....
    even facebook hasnt been used, screen is at minimum brightness....

I am thinking of dropping blackberry completely, the main attraction for me is the hardware keyboard as I have a tremor and its impossible for me to use a touchscreen for typing, and its looking like the hardware keyboard will soon be dropped so why should I persevere now? Also the playbook is a wonderful piece of hardware but the software is absolutely crippling and clunky... yes the email and bridge functionality work brilliantly, but there no blackberry protect, no usb otg (or even basic camera connector aka ipad) the we browser whilst competent is not really that good considering the whole tablet is reliant on it a most apps are not available.

The long and short of it is, both devices are amazing and class leading pieces of hardwer BUT and its a BIG but, the software/firmware development is way way way way too slow, the 9900 was meant to have had the FW sorted for these battery issues last year, its 12 months on and everyone is still having issues, the playbook needs BB10 but again its forever delayed..

Surely
    11-15-12 09:46 AM
    Yep transitions bite. Hope it will be much better when done.
    11-15-12 09:56 AM
    Its not even about transitions though, the 9900 had firmware battery problems when it was released over a year ago,,, its not even app or a feature its a fault and it should be fixed now and not when when the OS was/is upgraded.. I dont mind waiting for feature releases but faulty functionality needs sorting
    11-15-12 10:13 AM
    Try one of the BL Hybrids on your phone after a wipe and factory re set.

I'm on Voda UK and currently run BL RC 8A1 over .742 base with Voda .714 .sfi.

Idles at under 1% and with moderate use averages under 2%

After you wipe and install the OS do a fresh install of your apps one at a time and monitor how things are performing. You may well find one particular app that suddenly causes your DR to shoot up and voila, problem solved.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...evices-736988/

BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
    11-15-12 10:15 AM
    After replacing the battery for the third time one would think its the phone. Why not get a replacement phone.
    11-15-12 10:24 AM
    I think it does. They are full steam ahead on BB10, they laid off many - probably a lot of java people so the old doesn't have many doing much with it. No excuse just I think it's a factor. From some responses sounds like maybe a bad unit.
    11-15-12 10:32 AM
    Using bridge will use the battery, and whatsapp can be a huge drain, though you have deleted it. I would do as Phill suggests, I get good results, medium use and I can get a full days use, lite use and I still can have %60 left at the end of the day. Do you have your phone set to use 3g only? This can help. Do you use Blackberry Device Analyser, useful to determine which resources may be draining you battery. Have a wonder over to the BerryLicious thread, lots of help there
    shemaree09 likes this.
    11-15-12 11:40 AM
    I consistently get 12-15hrs daily. I leave my wifi on (its always connected at work and home) and bluetooth on in my car. I have Twitter for BB, SocialScope, and BeWeather, and Google Talk running in the background daily. I dont adjust any other settings.

Do you have the latest OS 7.1 installed? Are you sure there isnt an app like Pandora, BeBuzz, or your Mobile Hotspot on? Check to make sure.
    11-15-12 12:23 PM
    please....please......please.....don't give up....please
    11-15-12 01:25 PM
    if you can, get on 7.1.0.746.... it's a great OS. the device application battery manager works very well.
    11-15-12 04:42 PM
    I dont want to give up and tto be fair I love hacking stuff, Im sitting here hacking a tp link micro access point running linux to usb hard drive to make myself a large capcity hard drive BUT.... I cannot stand firms that dont update faulty software, I can understand crippled software, but broken software is another thing, look at Nokia yes compared to BlackBerry, apple toys and the old windows smartphones they did what they said OK no functionality BUT if something was broken they fixed it and fixed it quick....

I know RIM are playing catchup with the 10 os.... but its at the neglect of current high end customers, they ought to really have released a battery optimization app for these phones or an enhanced task manager, people having to rely on hacked FW and forums to make the phone satisfactory is really not good...

Ill be honest Im with blackberry for now but if anyone makes a nokia lumia with a hardware keyboard Ill be off and Ill be buying a surface too..
    11-15-12 05:41 PM
    People who ask to be convinced don't really want to be. Take the advice given, replace the phone or get your iPhone and move on. Either way, the only one who can convince you is you.
    rfig and shemaree09 like this.
    11-15-12 05:54 PM
    There won't be a keyboard Windows Phone, at least not for the foreseeable future. There WILL be a keyboard BB10 though, likely available March-ish.

Batteries for both BB10 models look to be considerably larger than the current ones. There are portable batteries available; carry with you, plug your handset into them for 5 min or so to bring the battery up. And as many have mentioned here, yes, the later versions of OS 7.1 provide better battery life.
    11-15-12 07:13 PM
    the cheapest and easiest solution until blackberry 10 is get a couple of spare batteries and one of those accessory battery chargers they sell here on crackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-15-12 10:59 PM
    3G can consume battery very very very fast... the battery on my 9860 lasts just 3-4 hours on 3G browsing and video... this also tends to warm up the phone...
    so put the phone on Edge, Bluetooth off, wireless off...
    11-15-12 11:11 PM
    I am thinking of dropping blackberry completely, the main attraction for me is the hardware keyboard as I have a tremor and its impossible for me to use a touchscreen for typing, and its looking like the hardware keyboard will soon be dropped so why should I persevere now?
    BB10 will be releasing a keyboard version, probably similar to the 9900 keyboard which is far and away the best of any smart phone. I've been using the hybrids with excellent battery results. As Legal suggested, it might be worth a try for you.

If it's not an app causing battery drain, the only thing I can suggest is to look at your signal to make sure it's not constantly searching which wears a battery fast. And as also has been mentioned it could be just your phone that's the problem.

For most users v7.1 really made a big difference in improved battery life.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BoldAlways likes this.
    11-16-12 12:15 AM
    I have had amazing battery life ever since I deleted socialscope. Even if you never use it, the app runs in the background and simply kills your battery. I had upgraded to a new os the other day and had forgotten to uninstal it. Battery drain went up to 6+ per hour. Remembered about getting rid of it 2 days ago and my battery drain has been in the 1-2% range ever since. Huge difference. Take it off the charger in the morning and it easily lasts all day. Hope this helps. Not sure what the deal is with this app but it is definitely a culprit.
    11-16-12 09:52 AM
    I have had amazing battery life ever since I deleted socialscope. Even if you never use it, the app runs in the background and simply kills your battery. I had upgraded to a new os the other day and had forgotten to uninstal it. Battery drain went up to 6+ per hour. Remembered about getting rid of it 2 days ago and my battery drain has been in the 1-2% range ever since. Huge difference. Take it off the charger in the morning and it easily lasts all day. Hope this helps. Not sure what the deal is with this app but it is definitely a culprit.
    I use Social Scope daily and have it running in the background. It doesn't affect my battery at all. The key is to change the refresh settings.
    I have mine set to:
    Refresh Frequency: Auto
    Refresh on Launch: Yes
    11-16-12 11:19 AM
    After replacing the battery for the third time one would think its the phone. Why not get a replacement phone.
    6 hours is about what I get, and I have OS 7.1.0 bundle 1149.
    11-16-12 03:30 PM
    The 9900 has the absolute worse of the worse battery life of any device I have had in the last 10 years, yes its a smartphone, no I am not expecting more than 24 hours use, however I cant even get 6 hours.
    Yes!!!
    At the risk of being predated I have to say I totally agree!
    What really gets me when I see these type of threads is that most offer solutions by recommending discontinuing use of the features which make a smartphone a smartphone.
    The things we wanted to get the BlackBerry smartphone for in the first place.

In my case I believe it's just the fact that RIM tried to put so much into it's last Java based OS, and an inadequate battery for the task all for the sake of the slim design.

I had much better battery life with older BlackBerry devices running the same apps.
    Actually, even less apps now, because some were not available for OS7 when I transferred, and I lost some due to MobiHand.

No need to freak out people. Just my opinion.
    Live long and prosper............
    11-16-12 04:19 PM
    Overall I wouldn't say the 9900 has battery issues. You have many people getting 12+ hours a day to some people getting only 3 hrs and cant figure out why. Battery life has been great since I got my phone in October last year.

For example, today I've had my phone off the charger since 7am. I've had wifi and bluetooth on ever since, with my Social Scope and Digital Bill tracker apps running in the background. I've also been texting and receiving emails all day. It is almost 5:30pm and I currently have 65% battery left.

I haven't adjusted screen brightness, and I don't run the batter saving mode option.

I have OS 7.1.0.580 installed.
    11-16-12 04:26 PM
    I've got to say I use my phone heavily for work/browsing and ereading when I'm waiting for things or in a line. I'm on it pretty much from when I wake up until I go to bed. I've got three email applications as well as whatsapp and a few games. I usually get 6-10 hours with extremely heavy usage. I'm quite happy with that amount of battery life. I got even less with other smartphones that I had. This is with a stock battery.

I've got a car charger, so that if it starts to run low on juice when I'm in the field, I just plug it in and voila!

I have noticed that bberry bridge does drain it a lot more quickly, So I am just in the habit of plugging it in to my charger if I'm on the go.

I don't expect a phone to have an unlimited power supply and so far, I've been more than happy with the usage I get.
    11-16-12 05:40 PM
    Well I give up....... I phone was flat in 6 hours today.... useless absolutley useless....

So I did a full wipe, backed up to blackberry protect,
    Loader was corrupt!!
    sorted that
    Window's 7 wouldn't play nice and couldn't find the phone for nearly 3 hours, had to dig out an old winxp laptop...
    eventually got the berrylicous software on it,
    Now been battling blackberry protect for 3 hours, getting a constant message saying "this service is not available on your data plan" it is
    Ive done everything 25 battery pulls
    protect appworld update
    registered on network

Sorry but I don't know about everyone else but this really really really shouldn't be like this 8 hours do a software upgrade, to fix a bug that the manufacturer knows about ---- Its like going back to windows 95.. The damn thing is going through a window or my fire very very soon....

I can re install my desktop in 20 minutes and move 2tb of data in 6 hours.... how can making my high end phone be such a infuriatingly complex task!!! sorry but Blackberry have lost another loyal customer here...
    11-16-12 07:19 PM
    Well how good is that, I cant use protect, as I dont have the service books, and I cant get the service books as vodafone is now closed....... this really is a piece of Junk... why cant protect just work through wifi.... really have totally had enough of this now...
    11-16-12 08:15 PM
    Protect has both cellular and wi-fi options.

You can even tell it to backup only via wi-fi.

Reinstall the official 7.1 OS.

Use the device monitor app and see what apps are draining your battery. BTW, Whatsapp has push notifications, so you don't need it to have running all the time.
    11-16-12 09:35 PM
36 12