FYI.....Blackberry Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.254 Go to Options, Device, Software Upgrades. It's all automatic on the phone. Upgraded to 7.0.0.374 seems fine. Takes about an hour to download so watch your data. DM still doesn't have it listed here.
    10-24-11 07:02 PM
    I'm still not entirely trusting of OTA OS updates, myself. I much prefer pluggin' it in with a good ol' USB cable.
    10-24-11 07:06 PM
    It's almost never advisable to update the device OS over the air.
    10-24-11 07:09 PM
    Why is that?
    10-24-11 07:15 PM
    Did update over the air...it was all good.....
    10-24-11 07:25 PM
    Main reason I don't do OTA is because I shrink the heck out of the OS before installing so I can remove tons of stock stuff I don't want hogging up space. This 200+MB OS runs around 75MB after I shrink it.
    10-24-11 07:34 PM
    And if it goes bad, you probably won't have a backup.

Plus it can take a lot longer to update over the air.

And with some OTA updates in the past, a bunch of temp files would be created on the device that would take up a lot of space and sometimes didn't get deleted at the end and created problems.

Lots of reasons ....
    10-24-11 07:44 PM
    Main reason I don't do OTA is because I shrink the heck out of the OS before installing so I can remove tons of stock stuff I don't want hogging up space. This 200+MB OS runs around 75MB after I shrink it.
    Sounds like you have a lot of experience with shrinkage...
    mud314 likes this.
    10-24-11 07:46 PM
    Did update over the air...it was all good.....
    What's new with the update?
    10-24-11 07:48 PM
    This one has an option I've never seen before from Verizon: the option to customize the update and remove extra languages, non-essential programs, etc.

Mine's downloading. I already backed everything up, and I will let y'all know of my experiences with this...
    10-25-11 01:10 PM
    Just completed the download an update. Ran into 2 issues;

1. All my past emails from BES as well as Gmail are gone now.

2. Available memory went from 177mb to 157mb.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting my emails back onto my blackberry or recovering the lost available memory? I've already done a battery pull and nothing changed. I have a feeling the lost memory may have to do with the fact that I went ahead an installed all the various languages. Anyway to remove the languages that aren't being used? Thanks!
    10-25-11 06:53 PM
    Just completed the download an update. Ran into 2 issues;

1. All my past emails from BES as well as Gmail are gone now.

2. Available memory went from 177mb to 157mb.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting my emails back onto my blackberry or recovering the lost available memory? I've already done a battery pull and nothing changed. I have a feeling the lost memory may have to do with the fact that I went ahead an installed all the various languages. Anyway to remove the languages that aren't being used? Thanks!
    Okay got my lost memory back by going to setup - languages and removing the languages that are not in use. Got it back to 187mb, actually higher than before the update. Now if I can only get my emails back....
    10-25-11 07:02 PM
    OTA worked perfectly for me... yesterday.
    There is also a sticky about this release. I would discuss it there:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...reless-661796/
    10-25-11 07:14 PM
    More info on shrinkage please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 07:20 PM
    Just did this last night without a hiccup. Took about 1 and a half hours. I had to go in and manually delete languages again from Applications Manager. Recovered quite a bit. Back to about 230mb. Just make sure you have a good 3G signal and a fairly full battery. Oh and it states you won't receive any notifications throughout the update. The easiest Os update I ever did, and did not need a pc!

10-25-11 07:44 PM
    The upgrade went mostly well. It backed up my data, patched the os, did all the things it was supposed to do, including installing NFC. I did not lose a thing! The few things that were bothersome:

It installed the languages anyway.

When it restored my calendar entries, it restored them under a "default" account, not my main account -- when I enabled my sync to memotoo, everything in the calendar doubled (not a biggie, I deleted the "default" ones).

The damn thing INSISTS upon "unhiding" the previously hidden verizon bloatware icons any time I reboot. That is truly annoying me.... I will check out the other thread to see if there's any solution.

** I take that back -- ANY TIME the radio is turned off then ON again, the damned icons show up... ARGH
    Last edited by snickdog; 10-26-11 at 01:07 PM. Reason: New discovery...
    10-26-11 01:01 PM
    More info on shrinkage please.

Check thread on leaked/beta OS and use a tool called BBH Tools. Read about what you're doing before doing it. It removes unwanted apps and system files like default wallpapers, extra languages, etc.
    10-26-11 01:22 PM
    Does doing it OTA use data? If so, approximately how much?
    10-26-11 08:32 PM
    Purely speculation, but:

The package's size is probably a bit less (not much) since the info will come through the BIS / BES server, so in theory that transmission is compressed (right?).

My customized OTA download got to 26.5 mb

Funny, i disabled my radio, enabled wi-fi, and did the OTA through wi-fi.

It still takes longer than downloading the full package onto a PC and installing it. And i think using the AppLoader allows you to have a bit more control over the backing up and restore option. The full download seems to contain way more languages, but could be mistaken.

Is it true that this was the first OTA update where you could customize the update's content? I liked that approach, same as with the Playbook updates.
    10-26-11 09:02 PM
    Purely speculation, but:

The package's size is probably a bit less (not much) since the info will come through the BIS / BES server, so in theory that transmission is compressed (right?).

My customized OTA download got to 26.5 mb

Funny, i disabled my radio, enabled wi-fi, and did the OTA through wi-fi.

It still takes longer than downloading the full package onto a PC and installing it. And i think using the AppLoader allows you to have a bit more control over the backing up and restore option. The full download seems to contain way more languages, but could be mistaken.

Is it true that this was the first OTA update where you could customize the update's content? I liked that approach, same as with the Playbook updates.
    Oh, so you're 100% sure it can be done through wi-fi? If so, do I have to change my radio network (VZW) off or can I just leave it on and connect to my wi-fi network?
    10-26-11 09:56 PM
    I returned back to .254 after being annoyed by a few things. Track pad felt different, less fluid. Touch screen needed more encouragement to scroll, instead of just flicking my thumb over it lightly, it would take a more of a definite touch to break it free. Battery life was still good but not as everlasting as .254. The clincher was when I did a softboot (out of habit) and when the main screen came up I got a popup saying my built in memory was corrupt and would I like to repair it. I pressed yes and it failed. So after downgrading I pulled the media card and formated the built in memory. All is well now and back to BB bliss! Just thought I would share.

10-26-11 11:11 PM
    Oh, so you're 100% sure it can be done through wi-fi? If so, do I have to change my radio network (VZW) off or can I just leave it on and connect to my wi-fi network?
    Here's what I did:

- made sure the indicator (an 'app' icon showed up on my homescreen) is active, and when you click on it, it says that an update is available
    - close that app
    - switch off my cell phone connection
    - switch on my wifi connection
    - open the 'update app', customized the contents of the package (unselected a bunch of languages, etc.)
    - and pressed 'start' or whatever the text on that screen is.

I'm not sure what the behavior is, if both cell phone and wifi connections are available. Of course, you can try and let us know ;-)

Roland
    10-27-11 11:50 AM
    If connected to both, wifi takes priority over cell. Just start downloading and cancel right away, check your router logs for activity to confirm it was going through wifi.
    10-27-11 02:31 PM
    The damn thing INSISTS upon "unhiding" the previously hidden verizon bloatware icons any time I reboot. That is truly annoying me.... I will check out the other thread to see if there's any solution.
    I'm having this same issue! I did the upgrade OTA, and it went flawless. But since the upgrade the verizon bloatware is driving me nuts. I go through and hide each item...and then a little while later, it will be back! Thats without restarting or turning the radio on or off. I've also noticed that the Bing icon will do the same. I ended up moving the Bing icon into a folder so I don't have to see it.

Any suggestions on how to remove the verizon bloatware? Or at least hide the icons for good?

Thanks,
    -RYknow
    10-27-11 06:59 PM
    Advice from another post - create a folder in All apps panel and move the bloatware in there, then hide that folder. I'll find the post for proper credit.
    10-27-11 07:08 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD