How is VZW in the "same boat" as Bell and Telus were? Verizon has the most customers of any carrier in the USA.
    Sorry I was not implying that VzW is no good or anything, and I am certainly not about comment on their level or service or coverage as I live in Canada.

The comparison however, I feel is quite fair, particularly in the case of Bell, who used to be the largest provider in Canada but was eventually overtaken by Rogers in terms of subscriber count. Now weather this is entirely due to network technology, i guess that is up for debate, but it is hard to dismiss the fact that both Bell and Telus have had significant gains in market share since rolling out their HSPA network

Here is and excerpt from a report on Bell's Q4 2009 which was shortly after they launched their new HSPA network.

The Bell Wireless segment had record Q4 gross activations of 523,000 new subscribers, or 11.3% more than the same period last year, even though its new HSPA network was only launched in November. Total net activations increased by 39.3% to 163,000. Postpaid net activations increased by 37.5% to 110,000 and prepaid net activations increased by 43.2% to 53,000. These year-over-year increases in activations reflect the success of Bell's new HSPA handset lineup, which includes Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry Bold, and growth in demand for wireless Internet sticks.

And this is an excerpt of a report based on Verizons Q3 2010
    Their Q4 earnings will be released on Jan 25.

By subscriber count, Verizon had vaulted into first place by a pretty comfortable margin following its Alltel acquisition, but AT&T added significantly more customers this last quarter than Big Red did — and just like that, the battle for first place among the US national carriers is starting to get hot again. Verizon added 997,000 customers in the July through September period versus AT&T’s beefy 2.6 million, meaning AT&T now stands at some 92.8 million — just 400,000 or so fewer that Verizon’s headcount.

I personally feel that many consumers are now more aware of the limitation of CDMA in terms of restrictions on what networks they can use them on and in many cases simply because they may not be able to get the phone they want with a CDMA carrier, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by wh1tey; 01-18-11 at 02:25 AM.
    01-18-11 01:54 AM
    Storm is better than the stupid Pearl Flip or it's fat, ******** cousin the Style
    LMAO... that's pretty damn funny I have to admit

I never had the tour, but I had the storm 2. Surepress is crap and the phone itself was junk. RIM wants VZW people to buy iPhones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sorry, but have to disagree...I LOVE SurePress and my Storm2 has been great from day one. Sorry you had a bad one, but that doesn't make them all "crap."
    I'd have to agree, my S2 was alright, had the screen corner issue, and after a much heated 3 month battle with big red I gave them the big finger, and I'm in agreement RIM needs to wake up and give what BB lovers what... a modern day blackberry, not a modern day piece of technology with a OS that looks like it's from 1995 and yes... it does seem the CDMA BB's always arrive last, well quit complaining, big red is supposed to be the best network... well ya can't always have it all sometimes
    01-18-11 05:39 AM
    thank u telus and bell for from cdma in canada and going hspa. i no longer feel verizon/sprint users pain (not sure if i should even include sprint anymore) .

you guys can just leave and go to at&t
    01-18-11 05:58 AM
    thank u telus and bell for from cdma in canada and going hspa. i no longer feel verizon/sprint users pain (not sure if i should even include sprint anymore) .

you guys can just leave and go to at&t
    have you ever actually used at&t?
    01-18-11 11:42 AM
    AT+T would be my last choice. Had to use them for work. At least 10 dropped data connections/day. The absolute worst excuse for a provider on the planet. I'd sooner do without. AT+T is known as the home of the dropped call in this area anyway.
    Last edited by cbreze; 01-18-11 at 11:54 AM.
    01-18-11 11:51 AM
    AT+T would be my last choice. Had to use them for work. At least 10 dropped data connections/day. The absolute worst excuse for a provider on the planet. I'd sooner do without. AT+T is known as the home of the dropped call in this area anyway.
    Your right, if the phone cannot make calls it doesn't matter how flash or cool it may be.

I understand what your getting at too, like I said before, my comments had nothing to do with the level of service or coverage of Verizon, it was more towards the original question of why Verizon seems to be getting "shafted" in terms of avalible devices. I personally believe CDMA technology is the reason why.

Again I feel a major reason why alot of people left Bell/Telus for Rogers was the selection offered by GSM devices, and that is why I made the comparison. But I myself stayed with Telus because the coverage was better in rural areas, so I understand your position quite well.

But now they have the HSPA+ Network, which actually covers 93% of Canadians with full 3G, AND outperforms their CDMA network in both speed and coverage, I personally am happy to be done with CDMA.

Anyway, If my comparison still seems unfair, I do apologize.
    01-18-11 01:48 PM
    ^As you mention coverage is important, including rural areas. Verizon shines above all others in this regard. I'd prefer gsm , but at least we have different choices. The dakota looks like a sweet device. I hope verizon picks it up before it gets even more outdated.

01-18-11 02:10 PM
    I think in this debate it depends on where you live:

USA,

Here the CDMA is the best network. Comparing CDMA here to GSM like comparing FM radio to AM radio frequencies. FM comes in stronger and clearer. Verizon has the largest customer base, and more reliability. I can attest to that having worked in wireless and trying other offerings. AT&T ranked low in Consumer Reports for a reason. In the US, CDMA is the way to go.

Internationally,

GSM is probably the way to go because GSM is the accepted standard, meaning governments have ruled that the networks will be pretty much GSM (Europe for example).
    01-18-11 10:37 PM
    pearl flip and style are barely even comparable in any way besides the form factor.

don't know what i'm even doing responding to a troll in this thread.

carry on.
    Haha a Sprint user with a curve 83xx called me a troll. Move along noobie!

They are comparable: they're goofy looking.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-19-11 at 07:07 AM.
    01-19-11 06:57 AM
    verizon will get their version because it continues the storm line for them. as for the gsm version, i see tmo getting it. at&t will have the dakota.
    Does the Monaco leak specify anywhere that it is going to be a part of the storm family? Because my understanding was that the storm family were all surepress touch screens... and the Monaco is not surepress.
    It wouldn't surprise me a bit if RIM decided to screw VZ back for their Droid Lust and named the Monaco something outside the Storm Family then marketed it to AT&T.
    01-24-11 10:08 PM
    V has had so many storms and what not and is now getting the iphone and is cdma. thats why they get 'screwed' they still get it better than sprint, but yeah thats what happens when you are cdma

they need to go LTE and soon

then sprint will look like fools, the only ones not on HSPA or LTE and still charing 10+
    01-25-11 12:12 AM
    Does the Monaco leak specify anywhere that it is going to be a part of the storm family? Because my understanding was that the storm family were all surepress touch screens... and the Monaco is not surepress.
    It wouldn't surprise me a bit if RIM decided to screw VZ back for their Droid Lust and named the Monaco something outside the Storm Family then marketed it to AT&T.
    Rim are not in business for revenge, they are there to make money and doing something to spite VZW would be idiotic for both of them.
    01-25-11 07:44 AM
    Once LTE is widely adopted, we shouldn't see the device fragmentation.
    01-25-11 10:28 AM
    Once LTE is widely adopted, we shouldn't see the device fragmentation.
    Sprint has opted for WiMax instead.

Oh, and I don't see 4G hitting the UK for another 20 years or so yet.
    01-25-11 04:59 PM
    In the UK they also have data restrictions, so if they did go 4GLTE....with their restrictions already in place, things would get even more expensive

Im fine with having a high speed 3G device like the Dakota or S3, the question is when will RIM drop this?
    01-25-11 05:53 PM
    In the UK they also have data restrictions, so if they did go 4GLTE....with their restrictions already in place, things would get even more expensive
    The UK does not support LTE at all yet. And if they did, expect all data plans to go AWOL, or be reduced to 200MB/year, and to be charged �25/mb for data, and for ALL current contracts to be changed, with a loophole used to avoid people being able to leave their contracts. UK phone companies, especially O2-UK, have ridiculously high data overage charges. I get charged �5/mb over my 500MB 'Unlimited Data'.
    01-26-11 01:42 AM
    We won't get screwed this time! Anyone else see the crackberry announcement of the CDMA Dakota (Montana) yesterday??? Ohhh happy days!! RIM just saved me as a customer. I was 'this close' to jumping ship.

01-28-11 01:36 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD