verizon will get their version because it continues the storm line for them. as for the gsm version, i see tmo getting it. at&t will have the dakota.
    I hope that T-Mobile gets both the Monaco and the Dakota....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 01:30 AM
    I wonder if the reason for it is because of Verizon going to LTE. Maybe when LTE becomes more available, and the phones come out ,these phones can be used with Verizon. I am only suggesting that may be the case. If it is, then, or course, these also will be for Verizon. I mean, even the Storm 3, according to BGR, is GSM as well. That doesn't sound right. So who knows?
    01-15-11 02:11 AM
    I wonder if the reason for it is because of Verizon going to LTE. Maybe when LTE becomes more available, and the phones come out ,these phones can be used with Verizon. I am only suggesting that may be the case. If it is, then, or course, these also will be for Verizon. I mean, even the Storm 3, according to BGR, is GSM as well. That doesn't sound right. So who knows?
    I don't think so IMO. Verizon will still make use of its 3g network for a while.

Look, I really don't know why this early we are on the "vzw always gets screwed" soabox.

Vzw has a bold, storm, and curve in its line up.

Yes, what we appear to see are GSM devices, but I'm sure CDMA one are in the mix too.. It's too early to tell right now.

But I like what I see, and hopefully we get them offered soon.
    01-15-11 02:18 AM
    no way verizon is getting screwed. they are getting probably the best device among the rumored new group. the storm 3 is shaping into a nice device. when rim first launched the storm series, they decided it should be exclusive to verizon. and you don't see any type of storm on tmo or at&t. therefore, the 9000 was an exclusive device for at&t just like the storm was for verizon. and verizon has many touchscreen devices on its network. it does a good job in representing the touchscreen form factor.and the torch will eventually end on verizon as well. so if you are not happy with your carrier, then move onto another one. and stop complaining.

Umm actually RIM never decided to make it exclusive to verizon......as I remember verizon came to RIM with the idea to combat against the iphone!

Anyways cdma berries are never much of an upgrade from the last revision, small tweaks and that's it. For me I guess you have to look at it this way.....qualcomm has a tight grip on the cdma chipsets and what not and to be honest cdma hasn't evolved....the highest download is rev a on verizon....so even though you get a new device you are still dealing with the old network.....heck the 8703e is a 3G blacberry with rev o in it lol. Anyways I'm happy with gsm and I'm finally happy they are putting new chipsets in to handle higher download rates.....right now all the 3G bb's that are gsm can only reach a max download of 3.6mbits/s and that goes way back to the 9000

01-15-11 04:32 AM
    The Torch is a device I would have been interested in, I've had other BB then Storm1 day1-(talk about growing pains), then Storm2 (from someone who has had both MUCH better device). Regardless while function is important to me at 5x yrs old I prefer a larger screen period. It still needs to be comfortably mobile (ie no 5" device). But since I am on VZ I couldn't get one, now I see this upgrade (funny refresh has taken on such a evil meaning) on the Torch2, if it were on VZ I might consider it since my renewal is coming. I have some other 'requirements' but with all these devices I'll make the compromise when the time comes. At this point I'm even open to flipping to ATT since VZ isn't doing much for me in the BB world. That all said there's alot of time between now and Sept.
    01-15-11 07:17 AM
    Other than the 9700/9780, I'll agree to that assessment.

Yep as long as TMobile gets the best of the best, I am perfectly fine with that.

Hoping the Dakota comes to TMobile.

Also thought they had the 9300 as well. So they get most actually. Pearl 9100's, I can't remember.

So quite a few options in the end.

I personally don't understand why people like CDMA so much. Maybe someone can school me.

01-15-11 07:25 AM
    There's a chance a version of the Torch (not the Torch 2: let's get that out of the way) is coming to Verizon soon....
    Torch for verizon, torch 2 to AT+T. Sweet, we get the dregs.
    01-15-11 01:33 PM
    Yep as long as TMobile gets the best of the best, I am perfectly fine with that.

Hoping the Dakota comes to TMobile.

Also thought they had the 9300 as well. So they get most actually. Pearl 9100's, I can't remember.

So quite a few options in the end.

I personally don't understand why people like CDMA so much. Maybe someone can school me.

T-Mobile has the 9300, as I'm using that device as we speak.... But yeah I hope T-Mobile will definitely get the Dakota and Monaco. I'm definitely sure they'll get the Apollo (Curve) since RIM pushes Curves to every provider lol, so that one won't count.

01-15-11 01:48 PM
    The reason for me to go cdma(verizon) is coverage. Their coverage is second to none. I was with t-mobile for 9 years and loved them except I was frequently without signal where I went in my travels. With verizon I have signal 99% of the time. Thats the only reason I'm with verizon. GSM has a far better selection of phones.
    01-15-11 01:54 PM
    I don't think so IMO. Verizon will still make use of its 3g network for a while.

Look, I really don't know why this early we are on the "vzw always gets screwed" soabox.

Vzw has a bold, storm, and curve in its line up.

Yes, what we appear to see are GSM devices, but I'm sure CDMA one are in the mix too.. It's too early to tell right now.

But I like what I see, and hopefully we get them offered soon.
    I completely agree that the Verizon subscribers should not be feeling left out. There will be phones for them too. The Bold 9650 is a great phone and they have others. Also they will make some of these for them too.
    01-15-11 04:06 PM
    And you got the exclusive on the storm, you got the first bold with 512mb, the only tour, etc.

Sounds like big red has got plenty, and its someone elses turn.
    the first bold to have more RAM than it did MHz of processor speed too! well, ok so maybe there were like 20 more Mhz than ram, but not a fair trade.... the tour was a piece of excrement and ditto for the storm, moreover, both of those devices are YEARS old (even the S2), almost as old as my ancient 8330... meanwhile in the last six months, the torch, the bold 9780 and soon to be two MORE BAMFing devices are staged to be or have been released on GSM...

the only bright side to this is that LTE (or whatever you want to call it) could potentially be the future evolution of ALL cellular networks, worldwide and it is possible to blend cdma and gsm into a single network and have user Y's blackberry hit each signal (not simultaneously, of course), it just takes a hybrid chip, which is already in DEPLOYMENT not development in China... One base line of phones with that chipset would mean RIM had time to compete with droid so the real question is, why are we ALL being screwed? guess it's the curse of capitalistic greed and opportunism on all fronts... oh and BTW, i'm Amurrican, there aren't any greedier...
    01-15-11 04:14 PM
    Fans of cdma need to chill out and stop leaping to unfounded conclusions based on the fact that the only leaks so far have been gsm devices, all that means is that we have only had gsm leaks and that has precisely zero bearing on what both gsm and cdma devices are actually going to get released.

If we assume that at&t are again going to keep the torch as an exclusive in the states then it is quite likely that vzw and sprint will both get new bold, curve and storm devices around a similar same time as gsm carriers, give or take differences in carrier testing time.
    01-15-11 05:30 PM

For me, I have no choice. There are only two carriers that have coverage where I live and both are CDMA. (VZW and U.S. Cellular)

If a GSM carrier were to move into the area I would seriously consider switching.
    01-15-11 07:12 PM
    Storm is better than the stupid Pearl Flip or it's fat, ******** cousin the Style
    pearl flip and style are barely even comparable in any way besides the form factor.

don't know what i'm even doing responding to a troll in this thread.

carry on.
    01-16-11 05:50 PM
    Storm is better than the stupid Pearl Flip or it's fat, ******** cousin the Style
    I'd much rather take a flip-phone (PFlip/Style) over a candybar any day. My current phone is candybar, and I like the idea of motion. Hence I'm so hooked on the Torch 2.
    01-16-11 06:20 PM
    I'd much rather take a flip-phone (PFlip/Style) over a candybar any day. My current phone is candybar, and I like the idea of motion. Hence I'm so hooked on the Torch 2.
    Isn't it nice that rim makes multiple form factors then so we are free to choose the one that suits us each the best.
    01-17-11 07:49 AM
    Isn't it nice that rim makes multiple form factors then so we are free to choose the one that suits us each the best.
    Heck yeah! I'm liking the Torch though. Always have done.
    01-17-11 08:37 AM
    I just don't understand why CDMA users always get the short end of the stick. Yes, we may represent less than 20% of cell users globally, but we're 50% of the U.S.

Bummer...
    You already answered your own question.

RIM is a global company, and CDMA is not global... it's obsolete technology, simple as

01-17-11 08:58 AM

RIM is a global company, and CDMA is not global... it's obsolete technology, simple as
    +1

VzW seems to be in the same boat Bell and Telus were in here in Canada before they launched thier HSPA network. Rogers was killing them and the a major reason was the freedom GSM/UMTS devices offer.

Many people now want phones they can use globally, and even more then that, they want phones they can easily sell when they are done with them. With CDMA you are very restricted on where you can use your device, and who you can sell it to when your done with it, even if it's a "global phone".

The 9550 was my last CDMA device and I will NEVER go back. Even unlocked and in 10/10 condition, less then a year old, it was very difficult to sell and in the end it was a 60%+ loss in 10 months
    though that statement admittedly, may be more of a reflection of the quality of the 9550 than the limitations of CDMA devices.
    Last edited by wh1tey; 01-17-11 at 11:53 AM.
    01-17-11 11:51 AM
    +1

VzW seems to be in the same boat Bell and Telus were in here in Canada before they launched thier HSPA network. Rogers was killing them and the a major reason was the freedom GSM/UMTS devices offer.

Many people now want phones they can use globally, and even more then that, they want phones they can easily sell when they are done with them. With CDMA you are very restricted on where you can use your device, and who you can sell it to when your done with it, even if it's a "global phone".

The 9550 was my last CDMA device and I will NEVER go back. Even unlocked and in 10/10 condition, less then a year old, it was very difficult to sell and in the end it was a 60%+ loss in 10 months
    though that statement admittedly, may be more of a reflection of the quality of the 9550 than the limitations of CDMA devices.
    Ah ye old 9550.... I traded my unlocked mytouch 3G for one... . Still have it.

01-17-11 02:56 PM
    +1

I agree with cdma being the coming obsolete technology. GSM is worldwide for sure. I was with T-mobile for 9 years before jumping over to verizon. I loved having a huge selection of phones and amassed a pretty big collection. buying and selling was fun and kept me on the latest/greatest devices.
    My only reason for going to verizon was the coverage. If tmo had that kind of coverage I never would have left. I do like the security and peace of mind when I see bars on my BB in some remote back country area. Places I never had or ever will get signal with tmobile. So thats my biggest need in a phone, being able to use it almost everywhere. No GSM provider in the USA can hold a candle to verizon for coverage area served, not even close.
    01-17-11 03:20 PM
    +1

I agree, GSM all day.
    01-17-11 06:22 PM
    +5 to wh1tey!

01-17-11 06:31 PM
    At this point, the Storm 3 has the best specs. If that will b e the only CDMA BlackBerry, than I would strongly consider signing with Verizon. All of the devices look amazing.
    01-17-11 07:53 PM
    +1

How is VZW in the "same boat" as Bell and Telus were? Verizon has the most customers of any carrier in the USA.
    01-17-11 09:13 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD