Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge an when Verizon my update the 9930 OS. We've seen several updates on other carriers, just wondering when we might see one on Verizon....
    09-20-11 06:38 AM
    Never... It's Verizon's way
    09-20-11 07:30 AM
    Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if not for another 3 months or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 11:04 AM
    Curious...what if any new features will the new FW bring to the BB?
    09-20-11 04:49 PM
    I know they are coming out with a update for the push to talk option. This was listed on the web site and still is.
    09-20-11 04:58 PM
    NFC. It's on the latest leaks but not on the stock Verizon OS.

09-20-11 05:30 PM
    I'm happy with the stock Verizon OS. Good battery life for me at least. I don't see the point of updating to any of the others. I heard they enable NFC but big deal. Even if it enabled hot spot I'm not paying $20 a month to use it.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-20-11 06:32 PM
    Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge an when Verizon my update the 9930 OS. We've seen several updates on other carriers, just wondering when we might see one on Verizon....
    In terms of VZW ans BB you will find VZw to be last in everything BB. They always have and always will. After all when I bought my Tour 2 years ago on launch day when all the BlackBerries were at the front of the store andnow I walk into my local store and the Rep says Oh I think we have them out here working and not in the back room and of course they moved the entire display to furthest part of the back of the store they could. They push Android and IPhone and this is just the way VZW is going to market their BB devices.
    09-20-11 06:58 PM
    "Walk ins" don't go to look at new BB's . They want to see androids and the iphone.

09-20-11 11:15 PM
    In terms of VZW ans BB you will find VZw to be last in everything BB. They always have and always will.
    While I understand what you're saying in terms of Verizon releasing updated software for their BlackBerry phones (they're pathetic), maybe you forgot that Verizon was the FIRST carrier in the US to release the 99XX. So they weren't last for that...
    09-20-11 11:53 PM
    You usually see an upgrade to fix any launch bugs a month to six weeks after launch and then as others have stated very sporadically after that. I expect this to enable PTT.

I will point out that any OS build (alternate carrier or leak) for the 9930 will work on a Verizon 9930.
    09-21-11 12:36 AM
    While I understand what you're saying in terms of Verizon releasing updated software for their BlackBerry phones (they're pathetic), maybe you forgot that Verizon was the FIRST carrier in the US to release the 99XX. So they weren't last for that...
    yup and glad they were. walked in the first day they had it in store and played with it a bit. I didn't want to plump down that much $$ without actually getting my hands on it.

Walked out a happy customer!

For me, Big Red has coverage/service where ever I need it so I am happy with them.
    09-21-11 12:36 AM
    In terms of VZW ans BB you will find VZw to be last in everything BB. They always have and always will. After all when I bought my Tour 2 years ago on launch day when all the BlackBerries were at the front of the store andnow I walk into my local store and the Rep says Oh I think we have them out here working and not in the back room and of course they moved the entire display to furthest part of the back of the store they could. They push Android and IPhone and this is just the way VZW is going to market their BB devices.
    Why does this surprise you? It's been over a year since they launched a new BB on VZW. We were supposed to bet the Storm 3 for Christmas but that was completely cancelled by RIM due to lack of carrier interest.
    09-21-11 12:39 AM
    I'm happy with the stock Verizon OS. Good battery life for me at least. I don't see the point of updating to any of the others. I heard they enable NFC but big deal. Even if it enabled hot spot I'm not paying $20 a month to use it.
    I haven't bothered with leaked or other carrier OS's since I dumped my Tour and first Storm. I sometimes download them but somehow the need to reconfigure everything has made me lack the motivation to actually install them. The official carrier releases seemed to work fine and I expect the same out of my new Bold. It will take something pretty compelling to get me to spend the time and effort to do unofficial again.
    travaz likes this.
    09-21-11 12:43 AM
    I haven't bothered with leaked or other carrier OS's since I dumped my Tour and first Storm. I sometimes download them but somehow the need to reconfigure everything has made me lack the motivation to actually install them. The official carrier releases seemed to work fine and I expect the same out of my new Bold. It will take something pretty compelling to get me to spend the time and effort to do unofficial again.
    +1. That's where I am these days. Unless a leak fixes a serious issue, I'm sticking with the Carriers Official OS and saving myself the headache of re-registering apps, etc.
    travaz likes this.
    09-21-11 09:19 AM
    You are spot on about Verizon. Due to a recent problem with my Bold 9650, I had to go to a Verizon store while out of town. They upgraded me to the 9930. The lady at Verizon was very helpful and said 'I used to be the Blackberry Queen and loved everything about Blackberry, but I've since converted to the iPhone. This is the first time I've really looked at the 9930 and it is NICE! I had no idea."

I think that sums up Verizon's attitude. Clearly their focus is on the iPhone and Android devices. They'll keep Blackberry around because of enterprise users, but it won't have the focus the other two OS have. That's too bad, because the 9930 is a really good phone.

I get the iPhone and Android mania. But it's good for RIM to be significant in the market also.
    09-21-11 09:37 AM
    You are spot on about Verizon. Due to a recent problem with my Bold 9650, I had to go to a Verizon store while out of town. They upgraded me to the 9930. The lady at Verizon was very helpful and said 'I used to be the Blackberry Queen and loved everything about Blackberry, but I've since converted to the iPhone. This is the first time I've really looked at the 9930 and it is NICE! I had no idea."

I think that sums up Verizon's attitude. Clearly their focus is on the iPhone and Android devices. They'll keep Blackberry around because of enterprise users, but it won't have the focus the other two OS have. That's too bad, because the 9930 is a really good phone.

I get the iPhone and Android mania. But it's good for RIM to be significant in the market also.
    For their business lines Verizon reps are given a limited number of choices and I know a lot of the reps around here are currently on the iPhone, but if you ask them how they like them the shrug and tell you that it is alright but they are going back to Android (or in one case I talked to a Blackberry) with their next upgrade.

I personally think they were "encouraged" to get the iPhone on launch the seme as AT&T reps are.
    09-21-11 07:18 PM
    I'm a huge scaredy cat sissy wuss girl and stick with the official carrier OS (Verizon). I know my limits. And I don't wanna be that "HELP!!-I-upgraded-to-the-unofficial-unreleased-leaked-fake-OS 9.00.00-and-my-phone-blew-up" guy. So, I am not too upset that the OS fairy leaves me a "Your Blackberry is up to date" message under my pillow every morning. I've found worse things under there.
    otacon#AC likes this.
    10-14-11 01:50 PM
    I too am having great results from the stock Os. No leaked crap for me. If it isn't broke!....

travaz and YourMobileGuru like this.
    10-14-11 02:23 PM
    I too am having great results from the stock Os. No leaked crap for me. If it isn't broke!....

Yup, Yup, Yup. That's where I'm at right now. I lived through the Storm 1 & 2 fiasco with updates and hybrids needed to make it useable and fiound myself thinking I'd have to be doing the same thing with the 9930. I must admit, I'm just happy to have a fully functional BB that does EVERYTHING I need it to do!
    10-14-11 02:27 PM
    I'm hoping the VZW's new official OS includes compatibility or an updated VZW Visual Voicemail application..... i find it to be much more functional than RIM's VVM application. Unfortunately, in order to utilize VZW's version; we will need an updated OS as RIM's appears to be linked with the core of the OS......soon i hope.....soon
    10-14-11 07:06 PM
    I'm hoping the VZW's new official OS includes compatibility or an updated VZW Visual Voicemail application..... i find it to be much more functional than RIM's VVM application. Unfortunately, in order to utilize VZW's version; we will need an updated OS as RIM's appears to be linked with the core of the OS......soon i hope.....soon
    I'm sure it will, along with the PTT app. Should be coming soon, the first official updates for BB's tend to come about a month and a half or so after launch.
    10-14-11 10:14 PM
    I'm a huge scaredy cat sissy wuss girl and stick with the official carrier OS (Verizon). I know my limits. And I don't wanna be that "HELP!!-I-upgraded-to-the-unofficial-unreleased-leaked-fake-OS 9.00.00-and-my-phone-blew-up" guy. So, I am not too upset that the OS fairy leaves me a "Your Blackberry is up to date" message under my pillow every morning. I've found worse things under there.
    The stock Verizon OS works great for me. I get good battery life even with moderate to heavy usage and no glitches at all for me. Verizon is usually the last to roll out updates and that's just fine with me.
    10-14-11 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD