Verizon makes it seem like the BB 9930 is 4G. Is it?

That video on crackberry.com with the Verizon rep advertising the BB Bold 9930 makes it seems like the device is 4G enabled for the last few lines that he utters in the video. I thought the CDMA version was only 3G?

Did he mean that Verizon has the fastest 4G network or the device itself is 4G?
    07-26-11 08:26 AM
    I would say that no it is not 4g and the video just says that verizon is a 4g network. Kind of like, hey look at verizon we are a successful company choose us.

Kind of like what I might do. Why buy from that company. They have only been around for xx years but I have been around for xx years.
    07-26-11 08:32 AM
    More like 3.5g but close

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 08:33 AM
    its cdma 3G...thus, it'll say 1XEV in the top corner. Verizon wants everyone to believe that its 4G though
    07-26-11 08:36 AM
    I think he is just advertising that Verizon has the fastest 4G network. I am sure the device is 3G as well. Verizon doesn't have 3.5G. Also, why can't the icon on the device appear as 3G. I don't use CDMA phones, so seeing 1XEV throws me off.
    07-26-11 08:42 AM
    its cdma 3G...thus, it'll say 1XEV in the top corner. Verizon wants everyone to believe that its 4G though

...and just what does 1XEV stand for? why not just say.. "3G"
    07-26-11 10:46 AM
    ...and just what does 1XEV stand for? why not just say.. "3G"
    "1XEV" is more specific than "3G".

1X = 1 times radio transmission technology, which describes CDMA (short for CDMA2000) technology.

EV = Short for "EV-DO", which stands for "Evolution-Data Optimized". This describes the multiplexing techniques used in high-speed CDMA.

The more you know.
    blue81to, bruteforce037 and tomgnc like this.
    07-26-11 11:18 AM
    It actually had 1X in the video, and only 3G. (No Blackberry symbol, therefor not connected to RIM servers)
    This is because it probably wasn't activated on the Network while they were making the video.
    As you can see, the device is on WiFi the whole time.

1XEV isn't on the newer smartphones, most of them are transitioning to using the 3G symbol. (or 4G if the device is capable)
    07-26-11 02:24 PM
    The news outlets are reporting everywhere that it is lte.
    07-26-11 03:59 PM
    The news outlets are reporting everywhere that it is lte.
    Yes but in the video he said paired with the the 4G LTE network. He didn't specify wether or not it was.
    07-26-11 04:12 PM
    Everyone is assuming it is LTE because he mentioned Verizon's 4G LTE network. If you look at the FCC filing for the 9930 you will see no sign of the LTE band. This is NOT an LTE device
    07-26-11 04:15 PM
    News flash: even VZW's actually "4G capable" devices aren't real 4G. For whatever reason, however, they're still allowed to advertise (falsely in my opinion) that they're "4G" because they run 4th gen wireless technology. Stupid. Are customers so silly that they can't be taught what LTE is? It's incredibly fast. Just say that?

Regardless, the 9930 is NOT a LTE ("4G") device... It is a "4G" device on HSPA+ networks like T-Mobile, etc.
    Perhaps the QNX "superphone" will be, but RIM is so picky about battery life (a good thing!) that we see it even then.

07-27-11 12:03 AM
    I didn't even know Verizon had HSPA+. Does that mean the SPrint 9930 will have WiMax 4G?
    07-27-11 08:23 AM
    Just saw the picture of the AT&T branded Torch 9860 - with the connection showing 'H+' which led N4BB to question if this device might be 4G capable?

I seriously, seriously doubt it - the documentation shows nothing about LTE or HSPA+, or WiMax...

And we all know RIM never drops big surprises like - surprise it's 4G!

However if for some reason they did, I imagine similar, if not the same radios would be in the 9900/9930 (GSM/CDMA respectively, yes)

Hearing about Rogers rolling out LTE in Montreal/Toronto and then having the 9900 be 4G capable... now that would be quite civilized.
    07-27-11 08:41 AM
    News flash: even VZW's actually "4G capable" devices aren't real 4G. For whatever reason, however, they're still allowed to advertise (falsely in my opinion) that they're "4G" because they run 4th gen wireless technology. Stupid. Are customers so silly that they can't be taught what LTE is? It's incredibly fast. Just say that?

Regardless, the 9930 is NOT a LTE ("4G") device... It is a "4G" device on HSPA+ networks like T-Mobile, etc.
    Perhaps the QNX "superphone" will be, but RIM is so picky about battery life (a good thing!) that we see it even then.

How can they not actually be "4G" if ITU themselves said it was ok to refer to them as such? In the case of LTE and WiMax, they represent the basis for future IMT-Advanced compliant 4G networks. HSPA+ however doesn't make much sense to me as far as the "4G" label goes, because I don't know if it's even capable of making the real 4G standard in the future, meaning it shouldn't qualify as the basis for a future IMT-A technology. But, I think again ITU said it was ok, so who am I to say they're wrong?

Maybe someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere there, but that's how I understand all this "fake 4G" stuff.
    07-27-11 08:44 AM
    Hmm I wouldn't be so surprised if it was but I really doubt it. It would be nice.
    07-27-11 11:09 AM
    Hmm I wouldn't be so surprised if it was but I really doubt it. It would be nice.
    It won't be LTE, that's for sure.

RIM has already laid it out very clearly that the LTE chipsets need to mature and become more efficient and/or batteries need to make strides before we see LTE in a Waterloo device.
    07-27-11 11:25 AM
    ===== QUOTE d5115r ====

===== /QUOTE ====

How can they not actually be "4G" if ITU themselves said it was ok to refer to them as such? In the case of LTE and WiMax, they represent the basis for future IMT-Advanced compliant 4G networks. HSPA+ however doesn't make much sense to me as far as the "4G" label goes, because I don't know if it's even capable of making the real 4G standard in the future, meaning it shouldn't qualify as the basis for a future IMT-A technology. But, I think again ITU said it was ok, so who am I to say they're wrong?

Maybe someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere there, but that's how I understand all this "fake 4G" stuff.
    Because while LTE is fast, it didn't meet the speed standards set for 4G. No one has. They have ruled, however, that because its the fourth generation technology, they can call it 4G in advertising and such.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-27-11 11:38 AM
    Looks like the Bold 9930 was supposed to be LTE. If its not, its probably more RIM fail.

Take a look at this page

It shows the Bold's name as follows:

Product Compatibility
    Blackberry
    BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 4G LTE

Where do you think they got this product description? So if the FCC shows no LTE, looks like RIM stripped LTE out of the 9930

I am a proud owner of the Bold 9000 not under contract. I love the phone to death, but I am not going to burn my upgrade or new contract on the 9900 or 9930. I will stick with the 9000 until it blows up.
    Last edited by chansterbold; 07-27-11 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added comments
    07-27-11 12:26 PM
    They didn't strip out the LTE.... Otherwise the entire chipset would have to be changed and the carrier certification would have had to start all over again from scratch.

Also the description on a random 3rd party website has no bearing on anything...
    07-27-11 01:49 PM
    So if on 3 Aug they announced that the 9930 was going to be LTE and that was the reason for the delay how big a game changer would that be?
    07-31-11 04:52 PM
    If this were the case, I would totally give RIM a pass on the delays with this phone. Lets not get our hopes up though. The last thing we need is another disappointment.
    07-31-11 05:02 PM
    So if it is not 4G LTE then is it a faster 3G? I doubt anything like that exists lol just curious. I wonder if they will advertise it as 4G...
    07-31-11 05:46 PM
    If this were the case, I would totally give RIM a pass on the delays with this phone. Lets not get our hopes up though. The last thing we need is another disappointment.
    Good point. I'm not even sure I would want it to be 4G if it creates battery life problems.
    07-31-11 06:30 PM
    3G has gotten faster in the markets where 4G has been rolled out since more users are switching over to the newer Android devices. While I would like to see a 4G phone from BB, I think this would have been leaked by now, wouldn't it. I mean does RIM really have the ability to keep that part a secret?
    08-01-11 03:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD