I visited my local Verizon corporate store today to buy my 9930. I could have ordered online, but I wanted to see and play with one first before buying. I know it was released on Thursday the 25th and today was the first day I actually had the time where I could go in and get it. When I get to the store this morning, the sales rep (who was actually very nice and didn't push the Android/iPhone sales push like other reps and was quite excited I was wanting to buy the 9930) sadly explained that they were sold out of the 9930. I was surprised at this...until he told me that they were only shipped four 9930's to begin with and had sold them all on Thursday. He too was surprised as to why they only got four units and that they have had a lot of interest in the phone and have been ordering them for customers for direct ship or advising they purchase online until more stock arrives locally.

After playing with the 9930, I solidified my belief that this is going to be my next BB and went ahead and made the purchase opting for full retail price and a buying 2 desktop chargers to go with it. The rep said that they would give me free 2-day shipping so I should receive it all on Wednesday at my office.

I am wondering if Verizon is downplaying the 9930's potential and maybe underestimating the success and potential of this phone. I find it somewhat baffling that this store would only be shipped 4 units. I bet the staff at this store was not expecting the demand for the 9930 given the onslaught and push for the iPhone and Android devices. BTW, I found the 9930 display model in the front coner of the store next to the Thunderbold and HTC Trophy.

So that was my adventure today at Verizon Wireless. The rep and I were joking and laughing a little of how I walked in and dropped almost $600 and walked out with only a piece of paper (reciept). I can wait a few more days for my 9930. It is awesome and that keyboard is amazing. I commend that rep too for not pushing me to buy an iPhone or Android.
    08-27-11 08:28 PM
    Outside of Crackberry, that phone will not be a big hit and everyone knows this. VZW is simply following the market trends.
    08-27-11 08:36 PM
    What people seem to overlook is everyone says android but don't seem to acknowledge that android is a couple of different manufacturers using that OS... Blackberry is all by itself. Meaning only Blackberry devices. In my book Blackberry is still out selling anyone of those companies. (Samsung/moto/HTC) or giving them at least a fair run for their money.
    08-27-11 08:42 PM
    Verizon (and other carriers) haven't had any success in selling BB's for the last couple of years because they haven't had any new devices and RIM has sat on their asses. You can't really blame them. I mean has there been one single ad for this phone on TV? The problem is a lot of people don't know about it.
    08-27-11 08:45 PM
    Verizon (and other carriers) haven't had any success in selling BB's for the last couple of years because they haven't had any new devices and RIM has sat on their asses. You can't really blame them. I mean has there been one single ad for this phone on TV? The problem is a lot of people don't know about it.
    Only one I remember was that BOGO 9330

Sent via Gingerbread Deck Incredible
    08-27-11 08:49 PM
    Its all RIMS fault! They haven't done jack in the last year...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 08:50 PM
    I had a few VZW reps insist that there's barely any difference between the Bold 9930 and previous incarnations of the Bold. They gave me this whole 'WTF dude, are you insane?' vibe when I said I wanted a 9930.

Go figure....
    08-27-11 08:52 PM
    I'm really considering getting one on Sprint. The touchscreen was a huge plus. Now they need to work on a dual camera.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 08:57 PM
    Yeah I thought it was crazy that I haven't seen anything on TV about any new BB coming out. Crazy.
    08-27-11 08:58 PM
    I went to my local corporate Bell store yesterday to look and play with the 9900 and the sales rep (a woman) kept asking me several times why I wanted a BB . She whipped out her HTC Sensation and kept telling me how much better Android was. She said all the reps had Androids now,and never once asked me what I was looking for in a phone or how I used it. Pretty sad.

08-27-11 09:03 PM
    I went to my local corporate Bell store yesterday to look and play with the 9900 and the sales rep (a woman) kept asking me several times why I wanted a BB . She whipped out her HTC Sensation and kept telling me how much better Android was. She said all the reps had Androids now,and never once asked me what I was looking for in a phone or how I used it. Pretty sad.

Bad customer service .. but great for quota fulfillment

Sent via Gingerbread Deck Incredible
    08-27-11 09:06 PM
    And after Verizon's experience with the first Storm and the Tour I can't blame them for not pushing a BB.
    mustangv8 and Chrisy like this.
    08-27-11 09:07 PM

So out of curiosity, why do you want a Blackberry over either of those other choices? I've not really been a Blackberry user since having what I think was an 8700 GSM variant a few years ago. I've started kind of looking at them again, but mostly because I want a Playbook. Before I deployed, I was in a t-mobile store and overheard a teenage customer (with his mom) buying a blackberry and experienced a little of what you saw there- the sales person not too directly trying to aim the customer to Android.

I was pretty surprised myself that someone - particularly a teenager - would want to move to Blackberry at this point. So briefly, what's the draw of Blackberry these days?
    08-27-11 09:13 PM
    So out of curiosity, why do you want a Blackberry over either of those other choices? I've not really been a Blackberry user since having what I think was an 8700 GSM variant a few years ago. I've started kind of looking at them again, but mostly because I want a Playbook. Before I deployed, I was in a t-mobile store and overheard a teenage customer (with his mom) buying a blackberry and experienced a little of what you saw there- the sales person not too directly trying to aim the customer to Android.

I was pretty surprised myself that someone - particularly a teenager - would want to move to Blackberry at this point. So briefly, what's the draw of Blackberry these days?
    I always had BB's before making the move to Android last year. I'm very happy with Android and am presently using a Galaxy S and an Incredible S and swap sim cards depending on my mood. I initially wanted a SGS II as a 3rd phone (what can I say i,I'm a phone nut ) but don't see the point of having 3 Android phones and this 9900 kind of has me interested. At this point, I'm not sure what I will do but the 9900 is kinda growing on me but I'm not leaving Android that's for sure. I just like to have fun with phones I like.

08-27-11 09:24 PM
    I went into my local VZW store to pick up a charging dock a couple of days after I got the phone by mail. The service reps were all asking me how I liked the phone and seemed pretty enthused about it. Probably all got fired the next day......

dudermont likes this.
    08-27-11 09:32 PM
    I switched carriers and OS for this phone. Glad I did, VZW has the best service here, in terms if signal strength in my area, at least.
    But yeah, no campaign, no ads, not even a poster. This is a very quiet launch. I hope the phone can be capable of marketing itself.
    08-27-11 09:34 PM
    I always had BB's before making the move to Android last year. I'm very happy with Android and am presently using a Galaxy S and an Incredible S and swap sim cards depending on my mood. I initially wanted a SGS II as a 3rd phone (what can I say i,I'm a phone nut ) but don't see the point of having 3 Android phones and this 9900 kind of has me interested. At this point, I'm not sure what I will do but the 9900 is kinda growing on me but I'm not leaving Android that's for sure. I just like to have fun with phones I like.

I guess a better question is why do people in general move from whatever they have to Blackberry these days. I understand people who have been using blackberry all along, but what is the compelling thing about BlackBerry? Is it because it's a blackberry messenger device? Or because it's still a better "enterprise" device or what? If you were a Blackberry salesperson, what features would you point out that would be "better" than iOS or Android (or WP7)?
    08-27-11 09:36 PM
    I was pretty surprised myself that someone - particularly a teenager - would want to move to Blackberry at this point.
    One word: BBM.

To chat for free all day every day and in case they live in the UK: plan riots ;-)
    rstrathman and Slingbox like this.
    08-27-11 09:46 PM
    For One Battery Life! Blackberries are known for Great battery life in most users opinions. Push Email is a plus, led notification sensor, BBM...there's a lot to say about Blackberries.

The only Verizon Ads I have seen are about the 4G LTE with tablets on their products....the lightning commercial.

08-27-11 09:49 PM

To chat for free all day every day and in case they live in the UK: plan riots ;-)
    Can you use BBM on Playbook if you don't have a blackberry phone?

And this might seem like an odd request, but is there somewhere I could see what BBM looks like? Screenshots and what not?
    08-27-11 09:54 PM

True. As a long time BBM user, I am noticing the random users are getting younger and younger. Now that most countries have at least one carrier that offers social networking or BBM via the 'Pay as You Go' system, it even more accessible to everyone.
    08-27-11 09:56 PM
    I guess a better question is why do people in general move from whatever they have to Blackberry these days. I understand people who have been using blackberry all along, but what is the compelling thing about BlackBerry? Is it because it's a blackberry messenger device? Or because it's still a better "enterprise" device or what? If you were a Blackberry salesperson, what features would you point out that would be "better" than iOS or Android (or WP7)?
    Good question. Honestly don't know anymore. Not too long ago , I would have said BBM, emails, and physical keyboard. To me BBM isn't a strong selling point anymore or at least not as much as before and as far as emails, gmail on Android is probably better and faster (just my opinion). I think we have to wait till QNX to say "better" but by that time the competition will have improved also. I guess If you absolutely need a physical keyboard, I do believe the 9900 is the best there is, and maybe for "enterprise" . I still prefer Android at this point.

08-27-11 10:05 PM
    i went into my local verizon store and they only had one 9930 on display.

It was in the back of the store and to lock it to the charger thingy, there was a black zip tie right across the middle of the screen.....couldn't play with it properly.

I am sure Verizon is just doing what businesses do, sell products and services. And for the general public, Android and iPhone have more appeal. But, I know many who are thinking of jumping back on the BB ship so yay for that.
    08-27-11 11:40 PM
    I'm not sure how much of those Verizon retail rep stories are true or just wishful thinking.

I was at a VZW store today and all the reps were positive about the 9930, I heard stuff like "it's about time" or "good to see RIM putting out new stuff again". Not a bad word was said about them, nor was I stirred away towards Android.

Here's my explanation: the reps are not trying to kill your favorite product. It's no surprise that old Blackberries and webOS devices were not promoted. The reps are not evangelists, they sell the winners and RIM just didn't have anything worthwhile for last 2 years.
    08-27-11 11:42 PM
    I'm not sure how much of those Verizon retail rep stories are true or just wishful thinking.

I was at a VZW store today and all the reps were positive about the 9930, I heard stuff like "it's about time" or "good to see RIM putting out new stuff again". Not a bad word was said about them, nor was I stirred away towards Android.

Here's my explanation: the reps are not trying to kill your favorite product. It's no surprise that old Blackberries and webOS devices were not promoted. The reps are not evangelists, they sell the winners and RIM just didn't have anything worthwhile for last 2 years.
    Thanks synthmole. I think that is my conclusion at the end of this day, but I so wanted to walk out of the store with a 9930 in hand. But that's ok, I can wait a few more days and at least I had a good laugh with a good store rep about dropping almost $600 walking in and only walking out with a piece of paper LOL. I was so dreading them pushing an iPhone or Android when I walked in this morning.
    08-27-11 11:48 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD