1. aft1981's Avatar
    So I arrived in the UK a couple of days ago and will be here for a few weeks. Since Monday there has been an icon for software updates on the homescreen. It wants to upgrade to Version 7.0.0 Bundle 1739.

    A few questions:

    Is this the correct latest version for Verizon, this isn't a Vodafone/O2 etc update is it? (I only ask this cos in the past when I've been here with my trusty old Storm, App World updates have installed UK versions, so when I've returned to the US prices have been in Pounds Sterling, and featured apps/frequently downloaded have all been UK based apps (tube map etc))

    I didn't bring the usb cable with me, so if I upgrade, it will have to be OTA. Is that advisable (also bearing in mind 90% of the time I only have a GPRS signal with Vodafone, no 3G)? I guess I could turn the radio off and force it over the wifi? Does that work?

    If I do proceed with OTA, will the data be included in the regular global roaming allowance, or will it be treated differently and I'll end up with a mammoth bill next month?!

    Thanks for any advice!
    10-26-11 01:26 PM
  2. balenax's Avatar
    i think you can go ahead and update, it's the correct one ( in europe there is no 9930 anyway ) . still, if you are not confortable, just ignore it and wait for when you come back home, so you can do a proper computer backup.
    10-26-11 02:37 PM
  3. kjjb0204's Avatar
    Did you bring the standard charger? Its a USB cable in disguise. If you can't use a pc, I would wait until you get back.
    10-26-11 03:01 PM
  4. aft1981's Avatar
    Thanks for that.

    Since phone manufacturers (with the exception of one, ahem) started using a standard connection, I have so many wall and car chargers I just leave several plugged in permanently in various rooms around the house, one at work and one in my bag for travelling. Sods law dictates that the one in my bag for travelling is apparently not the one that came with the 9930 lol.

    Still, maybe someone I know here has one I can borrow. I'm a bit dubious about doing the OTA upgrade. For some reason I've rarely seen a 3g connection on this phone while I've been here. I'm staying at my parents house, and depending on what room I'm in, it's constantly flipping between 2 different networks, 5 bar gprs, 1 bar gprs, GPRS, GSM, sos, and once up flashed the 3g icon! Anyway, that's a different topic.
    10-26-11 08:43 PM
  5. Jake Storm's Avatar
    Just do a back up with BB Protect first. No need for a PC.
    10-26-11 11:10 PM
  6. SwitchBeach's Avatar
    Wait until you get back. There's no imminent need to do the update.
    10-27-11 05:57 AM
  7. qbnkelt's Avatar
    ^would tend to agree. I'd just wait if the stay is only a few weeks.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 06:44 AM