I have two accounts on my 9900, @live.com and @outlook.com, and several times a day, I will be prompted to validate each of the accounts by entering the respective passwords.

This started on Tuesday and there had been no changes made to the phone or any email accounts.

Has anyone else run into this? It is quite frustrating.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Frehley; 05-05-17 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarify phone
    05-05-17 05:52 AM
    Have you logged into the web versions of your email accounts lately? Perhaps there is a notice requesting information or even a change of password. Some have wanted a more secure password to be used with your account, for example.
    I'm surprised that live.com is still separate from outlook.com too.
    05-05-17 09:17 AM
    I have two accounts on my 9900, @live.com and @outlook.com, and several times a day, I will be prompted to validate each of the accounts by entering the respective passwords.

This started on Tuesday and there had been no changes made to the phone or any email accounts.

Has anyone else run into this? It is quite frustrating.

Thanks!
    Starting on may 3rd, every few hours, my blackberry asks me to validate my emaili password, and then it downloads my emails, but a couple hours later it will happen all over again. I use hotmail.com which is basically the same as live and outlook, so maybe the issue has to do with our email systems, rather than the blackberry? let' see if anyone else weighs in here.

I have a blackberry bold, which is about 2 - 3 years old I think, but I don't want to change to a new one if I don't have to. Is your blackberry newer than mine? I wonder if it has to do with ahving an old phoone.
    05-05-17 09:37 AM
    I have logged into the web versions and I have not been requested to change passwords or additional information. I'm just stumped and these notifications come up about every 2 hours.
    05-05-17 09:58 AM
    Starting on may 3rd, every few hours, my blackberry asks me to validate my emaili password, and then it downloads my emails, but a couple hours later it will happen all over again. I use hotmail.com which is basically the same as live and outlook, so maybe the issue has to do with our email systems, rather than the blackberry? let' see if anyone else weighs in here.

I have a blackberry bold, which is about 2 - 3 years old I think, but I don't want to change to a new one if I don't have to. Is your blackberry newer than mine? I wonder if it has to do with ahving an old phoone.
    My Bold is about the same vintage and I started getting these requests on May 2nd. Hotmail is the same as live and outlook...the mail servers are "hotmail". I do not have this issue with gmail...although that is not a Microsoft application. I wonder if MIcrosoft did something that would cause this?
    05-05-17 10:01 AM
    Hi -

I own a Blackberry Bold 9900, vintage 4-ish years old. I started having this same challenge on May 3rd. Every 3 hours or so, it asks me to validate my personal email passwords. I have email with Hotmail.com and Outlook.com. It's very frustrating. I shut the Blackberry down and removed the battery and rebooted everything. It didn't work. I've scoured the internet and it looks like this issue occurred in 2013, 2011, 2010 with other Blackberry users. I saw one solution I'm trying now -- resetting my passwords in my email accounts themselves, and re-validating on the Blackberry. I'll let you know if it worked. Next I'll try removing the email accounts from the Blackberry and adding them back in again. After that... not sure what to do. Except upgrade to the KeyOne in a month!
    Frehley likes this.
    05-05-17 11:06 AM
    Same issue here. Just started happening a couple days ago as well, on both my 9900 and 9780. Only affects my @live accounts. Gmail etc working fine. Looks like the issue is outlook related at this point.
    Frehley likes this.
    05-05-17 11:30 AM
    And same issue here, just began on 5/3/17, notices several times per day from Blackberry Limited to Verify my email password. I have validated my email password on my Blackberry 8830 World Edition phone over and over again for 3 days (yes my BB is that old - about 10 years of going strong until now!). I have several email accounts set up on my BB (outlook, yahoo, gmail) and I have been asked to repetitively re-validate only my outlook email account on my BB. Perhaps it is a problem with outlook since 5/3/17? Dunno. To try and resolve, I have also changed my password in my outlook email account on my desktop, followed by re-validating to this new password on the Blackberry. Still the notices to validate my outlook password follow on my BB, and then notices continue. It would be nice if it was just an erroneous notice, but I have to continually re-validate my outlook email account on my BB using the same password or an updated password (as updated thru my desktop). Again, gmail and yahoo email accounts on BB are working fine. It is only the outlook email account that has to repetitively be re-validated in order to continue receiving the email messages on my handy little old Blackberry.
    I was thinking I would shut it down, try removing battery, then rebooting the BB. But I think a previous poster said this did not work either. Then, I thought I would try removing the particular email account from the Blackberry and add it back in again? But, I wasn't sure that maybe it is a problem with my BB 8830 and then maybe I would not be allowed to enter the email address back into the phone? Apparently this is happening with several models of Blackberry phones, so maybe it is a glitch with Microsoft Outlook. Anyone have advice or a successful cure for this problem yet?? Thanks for your input!! BTW, outlook was continually asking me to re-sign in to my account on my desktop computer a couple of weeks ago or so, but this problem seems to have resolved itself..
    Frehley likes this.
    05-05-17 06:56 PM
    I turned on the 9900 this morning and no outlook or live emails came in, but the strange part is that I didn't receive the message from BlackBerry Limited to validate the accounts.

I then went into the setup and entered the passwords for the two accounts...successfully saved and still no emails received on either account. Anyone not receiving email messages now besides me?
    05-06-17 06:52 AM
    OK , now I am not receiving any emails at the @live and @outlook addresses. I have entered my passwords in both and have pulled the battery to reboot...nothing works.

Any other users of the 99xx series having the same issues?
    05-06-17 04:05 PM
    OK , now I am not receiving any emails at the @live and @outlook addresses. I have entered my passwords in both and have pulled the battery to reboot...nothing works.

Any other users of the 99xx series having the same issues?
    I'm guessing this is a legacy device issue because it happens on both my 9900 and 9780, but not my priv.
    05-06-17 10:49 PM
    Same thing continues all day today on my BB 8830: every few hours, my blackberry asks me to validate my email password, and then it downloads my emails, but a couple hours later it will happen all over again. Now interestingly enough, there has been a problem also with my Outlook email account, so I wonder if there is any correlation. My recent Microsoft Outlook Activity Report is showing suspicious activity on this email account 2 to 4 times a day, all from the exact same Canada IP, since the evening of 5/3/17. This report shows: Unusual Activity Detected, my own successful sign ins, my own initiated password changes, and one Automatic Sync (originating from the same Canada IP). It could be a hack into my Outlook account, a glitch going on with Microsoft, or it could be triggered by this problem going on a few days with my Blackberry 8830? OK I admit, I may not be as technically savvy as others in this forum, but if anyone has any advice on what to do or has found solutions, that would be greatly appreciated!
    05-07-17 12:02 AM
    Same here, hotmail on my 99s. No problem on my BB10 stuff. Maybe limited to BIS?
    05-07-17 01:19 AM
    Same here, hotmail on my 99s. No problem on my BB10 stuff. Maybe limited to BIS?
    I've had the same issue for just about a week on a 9360. Have tried all the fixes that I could find but no luck. This appears to have happened back in May of 2014 as well according to the MS support site.
    05-07-17 04:09 PM
    Question: Has anyone contacted Blackberry or Microsoft to see if we can get an answer to resolve this problem?
    05-08-17 01:29 AM
    Question: Has anyone contacted Blackberry or Microsoft to see if we can get an answer to resolve this problem?
    Good luck. Not many "techs" these days know how to troubleshoot legacy blackberry devices. They'll run you in circles with resets, wipes etc.
    05-08-17 04:36 PM
    Yes, that has been my experience also. The typical "Tech" experience, coupled with my not having a full grasp of the lingo, I just wondered if anyone else had tried contacting the companies re. Personally, and especially since there was a note that this same incidence occurred in MAY of 2014, I have switched to another email provider that continually comes thru uninterrupted on my BB. This may not be an option for others to switch from outlook, but I am certainly getting all my messages on my BB now!
    05-08-17 06:22 PM
    BIS is a paid service. Tweet BlackBerry on this issue. They need to fix this if they're selling the service still.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-08-17 09:49 PM
    I think I found a solution. I have two email accounts that were problematic: hotmail.com and outlook.com. I had tried removing battery and re-booting. No luck. I had tried changing my password within each email account and re-validating on my device. No luck. A couple days ago, I removed my hotmail.com account from the device and then immediately set it up again from scratch. Since then, I have not received any requests to validate password. So this morning, I also removed my outlook.com account from the device and set it up again from scratch.

However, now I am seeing a new issue within my Outlook email, just like "USAcafe"s issue above: My Outlook Activity Report showing "unusual activity" from the same recurring IP in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I looked around on Google and some people are saying that is a legitimate Blackberry server location. Others are saying it's a hack. I'm also seeing "Successful Syncs" with a second IP address, but I am wondering if that is actually my new laptop. I will double-check it. Anyone else seeing an IP address from Canada? (If you Google the IP address you're seeing, you can see where it's registered.) I'm wondering if I'm being hacked, or if this is normal.
    05-10-17 01:03 PM
    I am also getting a pop-up saying Blackberry has an expired server certificate, and it happens to be the server in Waterloo, Ontario, that is showing all the "unusual activity" in my Outlook accounts. I am guessing there is a correlation. Here are the details in the pop-up I see:

Expired cert chain
    Untrusted cert chain

Revocation status:
    - Unknown
    Trust status:
    - Not Trusted
    Expiration date:
    - Fri, Dec 23, 2016, 6:59:59 PM
    Cert Type:
    - x509
    Public Key Type:
    - RSA 2048
    Subject:
    - CN = *.blackberry.com
    - OU = IT
    - O = Blackberry Ltd.
    - L = Waterloo
    - ST = Ontario
    - C = CA
    Subject Alt Name:
    - DNS = *.blackberry.com
    - DNS = blackberry.com
    Issuer:
    - CN = Thawte SSL CA
    - O = Thawte, Inc.
    - C = US
    Serial Number:
    253C 4117 95E8 C2A6 0A57 D22F B71C 4A4B
    Key Usage:
    - Digital Signature
    - Key Encipherment
    - Server Authentication
    - Client Authentication
    Signature Algorithm
    - RSA_PKCS1/SHA1
    SHA1 Thumbprint:
    - 094A DB52 192C B79A 3575 88C8 AB82 D96D A6E9 AAEA
    MD5 Thumbprint:
    - AcD5 CB16 AA9A CF35 6A8B 3A9E DF8D 8155

Anyone else getting this? I'll try reporting it to Blackberry and see if I get any results.
    05-10-17 05:46 PM
    This closely parallels reports from most of my crew. We haven't been using hotmail much because of MS's irritatingly chronic "unusual activity" interruptions triggered by our wwan laptops traveling about the world. Seeing this MS overreaction on our 99s, or laptops. is really "dejavu all over again" for us.

None of us have had time to pursue much about this but one coworker deleted her hotmail and set it back up and all seemed well. For about 12hrs. During this time her Classic successfully sync'd hotmail here in the States and then her 99 attempted to sync thru Canada and quickly received a verify message. Interestingly, none of our BB10 or Android stuff has received the message. Only BIS, for us. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-10-17 at 11:37 PM.
    05-10-17 11:25 PM
    It will be interesting to see what ya 'all can find out from the experts to resolve the ongoing issue, that also apparently happened in MAY of 2014. Automatic Sync (Canada Protocol: POP3 IP: 74.82.80.1) - this same IP address has shown up for all the "Unusual Activity Detected" events originating from Canada. My own local computer tech states that the IP is Blackberry Unlimited: "the IP is in fact part of BlackBerry's own IP network in Canada." IMHO, it seems the culprit is most likely a technical problem of some kind going on with Microsoft Outlook or Blackberry, or a compatibility problem between these two. I've switched my important emails, that I need to receive, to my other email provider (gmail) - I am receiving my gmails without any problems. Again, IMHO, I don't think we've been hacked; although, I must admit that the spam emails on Outlook have increased over the past 6 months or so & so called "huge cash prize notifications". I do not open those suspicious emails, but report them to outlook as phishing scams. This is another topic but is it best to delete suspicious emails, ignore them, delete them, or report them a phishing scams?
    05-11-17 02:55 AM
    As instructed by one of our crew's "smart guys", a coworker has shut down all other handsets, PCs, etc from accessing Hotmail. She then deleted hotmail from 9930 and re-installed. Been almost 8 hrs & no re Verify yet... fwiw. I'm told that MS website shows no other access from any other ip, either.

I'm guessing that MS might be accepting her US based ip as "usual" and then when access is attempted from Canada, minutes later, MS "phreaks out", to use her term. (she's far too young to have ever been one of us "phone phreakers", in the day, but spells it that way... go figure. Lol) Apparently our "smart guy" suspects that MS algorithms might be set to view traveling 1000+ miles in a few minutes as "unusual activity". Lol. Theory being that if BIS NOC ip is the ONLY ip MS has to compare, MS might not complain. Still too early to prove anything, tho. Will report.

Reportedly, "Smart guy" also mentioned something about BB's server certs being outdated but I've heard few details. Also, when MS does "phreak out" over the Canadian ip, there are options to report that ip as "expected" or as "unusual" or something. "Smart guy" suggested that clicking on unusual (or "un-expected" or what ever it was called) might ultimately alert SOMEone at MS or BB. BUT might also wind up blocking BIS to MS access altogether?? If I understand what he told my coworker?

Perhaps, if a couple hundred of us simultaneously clicked on "unusual" for that ip we MIGHT get SOMEone's attention? ?? Or, we might ALL just get simultaneously blocked... lol. Idk.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-11-17 at 07:18 AM.
    05-11-17 06:59 AM
    I think you might be onto something regarding logging into different server types at a distance. My outlook functioned perfectly while on vacation in the U.S. Last week when syncing through ActiveSync. But when I tried to log in through webmail, I received the suspicious activity messages.
    05-11-17 10:03 AM
    I'm in the States and I had my 9900 turned off until about 10 minutes ago. As soon as it booted I got the need to validate messages for the @live and @outlook email addresses. Sure is a bummer.

I want to use this phone again. I am hesitant to have the messages forwarded to my gmail account as I will not know when (or if) this issue is fixed.
    05-11-17 11:08 AM
35 12