I have installed 7.1 and I am able to connect to my Bold 9900 as a mobile Hotspot using a laptop but cannot connect with an iPod, has anyone else been able to do this?
    02-26-12 01:04 PM
    I connect with my iPAD, have never tried with an iPOD...but have no issue with my iPAD or any of my MacBook Pro's either. Can your iPOD see the hotspot?
    02-26-12 11:23 PM
    My daughter connects to mine all the time!
    02-27-12 09:14 AM
    Sometimes the iPod will reject a network just because of the SSID. So I would change the name of the hotspot (SSID) and try connecting to it.
    02-27-12 09:20 AM
    I tried changing the SSID but that didn't work, changed the Band from 802.11g to 802.11bg and now works

Thanks for the suggestions.
    02-27-12 02:51 PM
    iConnected my iPad and iPod, iSucceeded.
    02-27-12 03:02 PM
    I tried to connect from my ipod today and I was taken to a t-mobile page to sign up for mobile hotspot service
    02-27-12 06:04 PM
    I know this is old, but Im having trouble.

My ipod touch (4th gen) connects to my mobile hotspot, but when i open Safari it wont load any web pages.

Are there any settings I need to change?

Im using my Bold 9930 on Verizon
    10-12-12 03:16 PM
    I'm having the same trouble with my 9900 and Playbook, and iPhone. The WIFI connects, gets an IP but then can't surf. I'm on Telus. They (telus) say that it has something to do with BES vs BIS, but I think it should ultimately still be possible.

I did try with another 9900 not on the BES, and it did work. I then updated our BES server as it didn't have the newest BB OS7.1 profile of info, but still no luck.

I have a ticket open with Telus. If I get anywhere, I will report back.

ST
    10-22-12 12:22 AM
    Make sure you are physically able to do mobile hotspot. I know with rogers you cannot do it unless you have 1gb or more
    10-22-12 12:26 AM
    Im on Verizon and my Playbook connects to my mobile hotpsot with no problem. With the bluetooth off and not bridged.

With my iPod it connects to my hotspot, but it wont connect to the internet. I know its possible, but Im not sure why I cant get it to work. Ive done a few google searches and found that if you change the security type to WEP is should work, but I've tried that with no success
    10-22-12 09:07 AM
    Make sure you are physically able to do mobile hotspot. I know with rogers you cannot do it unless you have 1gb or more
    If your reply was to me, I mentioned that I spoke to Telus who think it has something to do with BIS vs BES profiles on the lines. We have a mix of both kinds of plans, 32 BB9900 phones on our account. We all have the same corporate 6gb data plan which includes tethering. Telus verified the settings for my line, and they claimed that everything was active.

I still haven't heard back, but they have until tomorrow to respond to my ticket. I know the BIS phones work, but the BES ones don't, even with the latest BES server patches.

Maybe the BB software needs to be updated - we are several revisions behind other carriers.
    10-23-12 01:01 AM
    Just reporting back. Talked to Telus again, and the recommendation is to speak to RIM as they suspect a configuration issue with BES.

I have discovered another problem while testing. Bluetooth tethering doesn't work with my 9900 & Playbook either using the Telus profile in the "Internet Tethering" settings tab. However, if I create a custom profile on the Playbook, and change the APN to another valid Telus option, Bluetooth tethering works!

Mobile Hotspot still doesn't work. I suspect a carrier APN issue is to blame, and not a BES policy.

I will be speaking to RIM on Thursday and will let you know if there is any progress.
    10-23-12 09:39 PM
    Hi all,

Turns out it was a bit of old provisioning stuck in one of the BB9900 DBs which was causing tethering & mobile hotspot not to work for us. (we recently changed wireless providers)

The answer in my case was to :

1) perform a backup (just in case)
    2) perform a factory reset via RIM Desktop Manager
    3) reactivate the BB9900 via the BES

The BES wireless backup restored my settings without the need to restore any of my backup DBs from step 1. The result for me at least is working tethering via both bluetooth and mobile hotspot.

-- ST
    10-26-12 11:45 AM
    What if your not using the BES?
    11-01-12 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD