5g is around the corner and edge / 2g is slowly getting dropped. Keep that in mind when getting a legacy device. There may come a time when it can no longer be used as a phone, unless it's a world phone and you visit a developing country.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    5G won't be deployed in any significant manner for at least another 3-4 years. On top of that 5G deployments are mainly targeting new frequency bands so there won't be the same degree of spectrum refarming going on; maybe some between 3G and LTE, but there is still the 3G user base that would need to be transitioned, in the same gradual way 2G is being sunset on AT&T. I don't think there is too much to worry about for the 9900 in terms of phone functionality for the next several years. Can't say the same for my 8900, which is a real shame because I really liked that phone.
    10-13-16 11:54 PM
    What about 3G and H+ (which mine has) and even in a fringe area mine is hardly ever on Edge (2G)

Again maybe Canada is more "lucky" in this regard?

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    No worries about 3G/H+ being shut down any time soon. But I'd bet Rogers (and the other 2G carriers, not sure who else there is) would be pretty eager to shut down their 2G network and convert it to 3G/LTE. Maybe they're waiting to see how things go with AT&T's shutdown before going ahead with it.
    10-14-16 12:02 AM
    it's pretty easy to click "send service books" on the device. One press of a button under the "options" basically, from what I have done. Easier than it sounds
    Definitely, if his carrier has BIS and will send the service books to someone who doesn't subscribe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    10-14-16 12:18 AM
    What about 3G and H+ (which mine has) and even in a fringe area mine is hardly ever on Edge (2G)

Again maybe Canada is more "lucky" in this regard?

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    I thought he said he had a 9930. That's a Verizon CDMA phone, with additional 2G GSM bands for worldwide service. It should not be able to get 3G on AT&T, as far as I know.

10-14-16 12:21 AM
    No worries about 3G/H+ being shut down any time soon. But I'd bet Rogers (and the other 2G carriers, not sure who else there is) would be pretty eager to shut down their 2G network and convert it to 3G/LTE. Maybe they're waiting to see how things go with AT&T's shutdown before going ahead with it.
    Interesting. Yes I am with Rogers and some years ago they were talking about "Not offering Blackberries" anymore, people got so mad that they were threatening to leave Rogers (I think many did) so they had to offer the Blackberry lineup again.

Canadians are known for not making a fuss but I was glad they did for this.

10-14-16 12:22 AM
    I thought he said he had a 9930. That's a Verizon CDMA phone, with additional 2G GSM bands for worldwide service. It should not be able to get 3G on AT&T, as far as I know.

Man I am so used to having my cake and being able to eat it too

10-14-16 12:33 AM
    I still think that BIS is great. (In the UK at least), you can go on a 250MB or even a 100MB plan and never worry about going over your allowance because it seems that HTML, images etc aren't just compressed but don't even count towards your allowance. Only if you need to watch videos or stream music does it use up your allowance. For people that don't watch videos or stream music, it's perfect.
    10-14-16 02:09 AM
    I still think that BIS is great. (In the UK at least), you can go on a 250MB or even a 100MB plan and never worry about going over your allowance because it seems that HTML, images etc aren't just compressed but don't even count towards your allowance.
    I think BIS is great, too. 100MB plan?? Heck, an iPhone can't even clear its throat with 100 MB..!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-14-16 07:56 AM
    I think BIS is great, too. 100MB plan?? Heck, an iPhone can't even clear its throat with 100 MB..!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!

Back in 2008, it was common to see reports from the carriers attempting to estimate how many unlocked iPhones were on their networks, based on major increases in their overall cellular data usage. It's easy to forget how much work had to be put into the networks to accommodate the devices we have now. :P
    David Tyler likes this.
    10-14-16 09:04 AM
    Just did a VOICE call on BBM with my friend in the Philippines who has an older Android device and it works great, clear as a bell.

9900 FTW
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-15-16 04:47 PM
    Just did a VOICE call on BBM with my friend in the Philippines who has an older Android device and it works great, clear as a bell.
    Awesome!

10-16-16 11:24 PM
    i'm typing more and more on my 9930. it is easier than my passport. And the keys are so much softer. I hope that someday a 9930-style pkb will reappear on a new smartphone again. That's unlikely but one can dream.

I learn a new trick everyday, like tapping alt-cap key in order to enter in a long number easily.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-23-16 02:21 PM
    i'm typing more and more on my 9930. it is easier than my passport. And the keys are so much softer. I hope that someday a 9930-style pkb will reappear on a new smartphone again. That's unlikely but one can dream.

I learn a new trick everyday, like tapping alt-cap key in order to enter in a long number easily.

What are you running for apps on it?

10-24-16 06:51 PM
    I use crackberry, advance os led, kindle, yreader, and opera mini. Those are my only downloaded apps. everything else is on the 9930 already. I use shutdown from midnight to 6am. I also shut down wifi and all data when I'm done with internet. The 9930 will last me about a week between charges. Cool huh?

10-24-16 08:27 PM
    I still think that BIS is great. (In the UK at least), you can go on a 250MB or even a 100MB plan and never worry about going over your allowance because it seems that HTML, images etc aren't just compressed but don't even count towards your allowance. Only if you need to watch videos or stream music does it use up your allowance. For people that don't watch videos or stream music, it's perfect.
    That's what I've done with my 9900. I had a Pay As You Go account with Orange for about 12 years, and I rang up and asked them about switching to a BIS contract, and they gave me exactly what I wanted for �5pm (with loyalty discount). I don't think that I've seen my data allowance go below the 250MB I pay for, BIS must take care of everything I do. It's my backup phone, I let my parents use it whenever they want to make a call so they don't use up the minutes on my main phone.
    10-24-16 09:00 PM
    I use crackberry, advance os led, kindle, yreader, and opera mini. Those are my only downloaded apps. everything else is on the 9930 already. I use shutdown from midnight to 6am. I also shut down wifi and all data when I'm done with internet. The 9930 will last me about a week between charges. Cool huh?

AH that's how you get the battery to last that long, ok that explains it.

10-24-16 09:00 PM
    My experience is BBM works fine. Maybe better than on iOS even. I chat with others on iPhone and no issues. No video calling though (but 9900 doesn't have front camera, does it?).

I use 9900 daily now and zero issues really. email from Gmail, Yahoo, POP and blackberry.com emails work flawlessly. (Note some HTML rendering issues). Don't care about social networks stuff on any phone so it doesn't bother me.

As for switching between phones, I have a whole suite of BB10 phones and no issues swapping. I just pop it in and go. Only potential issue is if I'm mid-chat on BBM and they message me first before I can send from new phone, message goes to the old (off) phone, which I only get when I turn it back on later.
    Don't forget to re-register host routing tables coming back to 9900.

SIM adapters, no problem. I get the ones with a backing, then a tiny dab of glue stick on the SIM and good to go. I had a micro, now a nano, never a problem yet.

Yes, I do have newer phones, but this 9900 grows on you so that's why I keep using it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-25-16 03:44 PM
    My experience is BBM works fine. Maybe better than on iOS even. I chat with others on iPhone and no issues. No video calling though (but 9900 doesn't have front camera, does it?).

I use 9900 daily now and zero issues really. email from Gmail, Yahoo, POP and blackberry.com emails work flawlessly. (Note some HTML rendering issues). Don't care about social networks stuff on any phone so it doesn't bother me.

As for switching between phones, I have a whole suite of BB10 phones and no issues swapping. I just pop it in and go. Only potential issue is if I'm mid-chat on BBM and they message me first before I can send from new phone, message goes to the old (off) phone, which I only get when I turn it back on later.
    Don't forget to re-register host routing tables coming back to 9900.

SIM adapters, no problem. I get the ones with a backing, then a tiny dab of glue stick on the SIM and good to go. I had a micro, now a nano, never a problem yet.

Yes, I do have newer phones, but this 9900 grows on you so that's why I keep using it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No front facing camera on the 9900. The little circle you see just to the left of the red LED is the light sensor for auto-dimming in dark conditions.

Now that ios10 literally killed my iphone 5C, now my 9900 is also my daily driver, as it was more or less for the better part of a year. Agree about BBM on this device, it's great. I deal with people in many countries and they have BBM on ios or Android and no issues. However my ios iphone BBM often double-posted much of what I said, at least it worked.

As I'm sure you know from my post in the Resurgance thread, I swapped sim back to the 9900 and for 2 days I had no email, BBM or internet off the tower even though I had the BIS symbol showing. Registering the device myself from "Host Routing Table" did nothing and last night I had to phone Rogers and thank goodness the girl knew about sending the books to my device again.

Same here, no email issues, and I have never had to send the books other times when I switched back to the 9900 for the email, it just always worked. However last night I did have to resend it for the first time....just for each email. Gmail and Hotmail.

10-25-16 05:23 PM
    I've switched back to the Bold. I unlocked my 9930 to use on AT&T. It worked, but I was limited to 2G. Switched to an AT&T branded 9900. I now have 4G, wifi b/g/n, BIS, NFC, and Bluetooth. I have two email accounts running through BIS, my own personal email and a gmail account. The Gmail account syncs my calendars and contacts. Couldn't be happier! Navigation and editing are superior! Text selection, copy and paste into a second application are only a few menu keys away. Size is perfect! I would consider an BB Android phone if it were an update 9900!
    anon(9721108) and David Tyler like this.
    11-01-16 05:16 PM
    ...As for switching between phones, I have a whole suite of BB10 phones and no issues swapping. I just pop it in and go ...Don't forget to re-register host routing tables coming back to 9900.
    What carrier, please? Also, how do you "re-register host routing tables" on the 9900? Thanks!

11-02-16 08:15 AM
    What carrier, please? Also, how do you "re-register host routing tables" on the 9900? Thanks!
    Just to be clear, I'm asking for a friend of mine who had trouble switching between his 9900 and BlackBerry 10 Passport on AT&T. I'm having no troubles using two separate SIM cards and two BlackBerry IDs with a Bold and Passport.

11-02-16 08:21 AM
46 12