Before I get started, I can already tell that people are gonna blast me!

That being said, I have two gripes...first is the price. I understand that it's a revamped phone, etc. but look at the 9810 for AT&T...$50 with 2-year activation. That is INSANELY cheap for a phone that is an improved version of a phone that came out almost at the SAME TIME as the 9780 did for T-Mobile. And it still has the auto-focus camera...which leads me to my next issue...

While people have been posting their examples of photos taken with the 9900...I look back and the HUNDREDS of mobile uploads that I've posted to facebook...BEAUTIFUL pictures...and I think to myself, is it worth the expensive upgrade and now to lose the ability to auto-focus?!

I'm at a point where I'm stuck with T-Mobile due to other family lines bound to contract...yet I refuse to go to Android or get an unlocked iPhone (which would limit me to only EDGE).

At this point I would rather keep my 9780, call T-Mobile to complain about something like double key entries just to get a brand new refurbished phone, and attempt to downgrade my phone to OS 5.0 which I was extremely happy with since the 9900 doesn't even come with a promise to include SIMPLE apps!

What am I to do?!?!?!
    08-17-11 12:51 AM
    Do what you feel is best. Tmobile is on androids nuts right now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 12:53 AM
    HAHA Ain't that the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    08-17-11 12:54 AM
    Before I get started, I can already tell that people are gonna blast me!

That being said, I have two gripes...first is the price. I understand that it's a revamped phone, etc. but look at the 9810 for AT&T...$50 with 2-year activation. That is INSANELY cheap for a phone that is an improved version of a phone that came out almost at the SAME TIME as the 9780 did for T-Mobile. And it still has the auto-focus camera...which leads me to my next issue...

While people have been posting their examples of photos taken with the 9900...I look back and the HUNDREDS of mobile uploads that I've posted to facebook...BEAUTIFUL pictures...and I think to myself, is it worth the expensive upgrade and now to lose the ability to auto-focus?!

I'm at a point where I'm stuck with T-Mobile due to other family lines bound to contract...yet I refuse to go to Android or get an unlocked iPhone (which would limit me to only EDGE).

At this point I would rather keep my 9780, call T-Mobile to complain about something like double key entries just to get a brand new refurbished phone, and attempt to downgrade my phone to OS 5.0 which I was extremely happy with since the 9900 doesn't even come with a promise to include SIMPLE apps!

What am I to do?!?!?!
    First, be happy to you get phones for a price. On the other side of the world, we pay triple that price. The 9900 sells for 707 USD in Dubai, and the Torch for 800 USD when it launched last year.

Secondly, you cannot install OS 5 on a 9780

Third, I feel you about the camera, it would've been awesome if it had AF too, but this has been discussed and beaten like a dead horse already various time with the thread locked after a while since it will lead us to no where.

Your choices now are simply, if you want the best keyboard, go for the 9900, if you want the AF and cannot live without it, get the 9810 or 9860

No need to be so dramatic, it's a phone
    08-17-11 12:57 AM
    Let me ask, how does this camera compare to the 9700...because I'm looking back at my 9700 pics and they were actually pretty good...
    08-17-11 01:03 AM
    For $300 and 2 year commitment, it's pretty drastic!
    08-17-11 01:06 AM
    Let me ask, how does this camera compare to the 9700...because I'm looking back at my 9700 pics and they were actually pretty good...
    Far away pics are better on the 9900 since it has a 5 MP Camera.

Close ups especially of text are much better on the 9700

I am not talking from experience, talking from the images I've seen on the forums only.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-17-11 01:15 AM
    Thanks everyone!
    09-13-11 03:16 PM
    MP are highly misleading as it depends on other factors as well. It really is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to a point.

The 9700 took amazing pics! I have only took a few on a display and close ups looked terrible for sure, but far away looked no better than my 9700 did. IMO the camera is a definitely WTF!

Still a sweet device, just priced wrong on T-Mobile. It shouldn't be anymore than 199.00 IMHO. I would love one, but I can't see spending that kind of cheddar on something when I have something just as good. Really looking forward to QNX though and mytouch pick up a 9900 if it came down to say .....what at&suck is selling the 9810 for......with the better camera, lol!

09-13-11 03:53 PM
    Loading up a good hybrid on my 9700 really livened it up and I always thought the camera took really nice pictures, I just didn't use it much. The 9900 still takes really nice pictures, but you need to be a few feet away to get a good snap, not a huge deal for me as I have a point and shoot that's tiny and it goes everywhere with the little one. (Only real reason for me to be snapping them often) Canon elph HS series are fantastic little cameras and I don't need to hand out my phone for pictures either.

Anyway, I would load up the B@stard hybrid by wui-we and see what you think of the 9780 after that, I had a few friends that really saw a big gain in performance, and with bridging on the playbook if you use that.
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-13-11 06:28 PM
    Still a sweet device, just priced wrong on T-Mobile. It shouldn't be anymore than 199.00 IMHO. I would love one, but I can't see spending that kind of cheddar on something when I have something just as good.
    I agree with you that the pricing is just off. But if you're comparing the 9700 to the 9900, the former is not "just as good" as the 9900. Yes, the OS looks nearly identical and works similarly--but the user experience is much much smoother on the 9900, even when leaving the larger keyboard out of the equation. The OS itself has gotten a lot smoother.
    09-13-11 07:10 PM
    I never questioned which phone overall was better. I would think that a newer bb running OS 7would be better. Now comparing cameras, the 9700 IMO is better overall as you can take close up macro shots and look good.

9900 is a beast of a phone, but not for what T-Mobile is selling it on contract.

Just IMO though.

09-13-11 07:16 PM
    This Blackberry Bold 9900 Camera SUCKS Sooo Bad! My buisness revolves around a Good pic of our product and this camera is not cutting it @ all! My 8900 curve too beautiful clear pics! I'm so upset I'm ready to take this blackberry back today is my last day to do so. I'd rather go with the iphone5

09-14-11 11:34 AM
    This Blackberry Bold 9900 Camera SUCKS Sooo Bad! My buisness revolves around a Good pic of our product and this camera is not cutting it @ all! My 8900 curve too beautiful clear pics! I'm so upset I'm ready to take this blackberry back today is my last day to do so. I'd rather go with the iphone5

Then get an actual camera if your business revolves around pictures. That's just being lazy and cheap.

09-14-11 01:14 PM

Sweet mother of pearl! The camera is what it is. Can we stop beating this dead horse?
    09-14-11 01:53 PM
    Then get an actual camera if your business revolves around pictures. That's just being lazy and cheap.

How ignorant, nobody is being lazy or cheap, but when your business revolves around taking pics and we live in an age today where even the simplest of camera phones can conveniently take a focused close-up picture, it is important to have that on a phone such as a blackberry which markets itself towards the business crowd since it is convenient to instantly email/mms the pic to whomever it needs to get to!

Nobody wants to have to take a pic with a point and shoot and then transfer it to a computer and THEN be able to send it...older Blackberry's were able to do this, there is NO reason whatsoever for RIM to downgrade the camera for the sake of slimming down the size...makes NO sense!

And to make matters worse, sell it for $350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-14-11 04:23 PM
    FWIW, I keep a micro SD to fullsize SD adapter in the camera so I just pull the card, place it in my phone and pull the pictures. Will be more of a pain now as I can't just plug and unplug without a restart as I could on the 9700, but at least the phone boots quick. Was quick and easy to transfer photos and share them out with dropbox on the 9700, just let it sync up while you're driving.

I think the biggest loss of the autofocus is taking pictures of business cards. Letter sized documents can still be easily captured with just a bit of cropping, but half letter sheet or less is a pain because you feel like you're not close enough. That's just my take on it though as I used to do that fairly often.
    09-14-11 08:20 PM
    +1 on loading a good hybrid and making your 9780 an even better device re: responsiveness, memory management, etc.

As for the OP, I am on the same boat, waiting for a GOOD price drop (in the $75-100 range) OR getting a 9790 IF it is released by TMo are my options now... in Puerto Rico TMo hasn't even printed an ad or otherwise announced the 9900... it's Androidmania for them!
    09-14-11 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD