Hi,

I have my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on Bell running OS 7.0.267. I had bought this phone on launch day at full retail (August 10th, 2011). After about 6 months, like many others, i began to notice that my space bar would double space automatically inserting a period. After a little while, this problem has dissipated. However now there is something new on the horizon.

My phone just recently began to develop an unresponsive space bar, and alt key every once in a while. It does not happen often, but enough to annoy me. There are no signs of water damage, a battery pull does not do the trick, and warranty is up in 2 weeks. Seems like hardware to me, but I am wondering if it may dissipate like the double space issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    07-29-12 03:19 PM
    Hi,

I have my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on Bell running OS 7.0.267. I had bought this phone on launch day at full retail (August 10th, 2011). After about 6 months, like many others, i began to notice that my space bar would double space automatically inserting a period. After a little while, this problem has dissipated. However now there is something new on the horizon.

My phone just recently began to develop an unresponsive space bar, and alt key every once in a while. It does not happen often, but enough to annoy me. There are no signs of water damage, a battery pull does not do the trick, and warranty is up in 2 weeks. Seems like hardware to me, but I am wondering if it may dissipate like the double space issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Since you still have warranty, i would suggest sending it in. It might be just foreign matters, like dust or what not causing the unresponsive spacebar. Or it might be a faulty keyboard membrane. You can try blowing it with compressed air to see if it helps, but honestly, why not just let the service centre worry about that?

I used to have the same problem with the unexplained periods. I sent it in and they were kind enough to replace the keyboard assembly for me.
    07-29-12 04:17 PM
    Yep, my phone also bought on launch day (in the UK), has in the past few weeks developed an unresponsive space bar and back button.

The strange thing is that my friend who got her phone the day after me also developed an unresponsive spacebar at almost the exact same time as mine..but her S button is also unresponsive at times.

Is this likely to be a hardware issue...obviously alot of the 9900s out there are now nearing the end of their warranty and could this problem start appaearing on more and more phones?

Edit:

Just found this thread about other unresponsive keys: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...es-not-737094/
    Last edited by Dugganm; 07-30-12 at 07:20 AM.
    07-30-12 07:15 AM
    Yep, my phone also bought on launch day (in the UK), has in the past few weeks developed an unresponsive space bar and back button.

The strange thing is that my friend who got her phone the day after me also developed an unresponsive spacebar at almost the exact same time as mine..but her S button is also unresponsive at times.

Is this likely to be a hardware issue...obviously alot of the 9900s out there are now nearing the end of their warranty and could this problem start appaearing on more and more phones?

Edit:

Just found this thread about other unresponsive keys: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...es-not-737094/
    Actually i think it depends. Mine started acting up at around 5 months old. There's another thread here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eriods-716893/

Actually it depends. In my country the distributors for BlackBerry products all offer 2 years warranty. Which is tremendous considering the contracts with carriers is 2 years too. One of them will even loan you another BlackBerry device while the phone is being repaired. So i'm not really worried if my 9900 start having these issues again. But still, the down time can be annoying.
    07-30-12 10:19 AM
    Actually i think it depends. Mine started acting up at around 5 months old. There's another thread here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eriods-716893/

Actually it depends. In my country the distributors for BlackBerry products all offer 2 years warranty. Which is tremendous considering the contracts with carriers is 2 years too. One of them will even loan you another BlackBerry device while the phone is being repaired. So i'm not really worried if my 9900 start having these issues again. But still, the down time can be annoying.
    That is great, because here in Canada, with Bell specifically, they want $42 deposit, just in case the damage is you're fault (i.e. water damage), and $45 to loan a Curve 9300. Combined with a 1 year manufacturers warranty on a 3 year contract. I'm just hoping my 9900 holds up the next 6 months or so until BB10 comes through.
    07-30-12 10:25 AM
    That is great, because here in Canada, with Bell specifically, they want $42 deposit, just in case the damage is you're fault (i.e. water damage), and $45 to loan a Curve 9300. Combined with a 1 year manufacturers warranty on a 3 year contract. I'm just hoping my 9900 holds up the next 6 months or so until BB10 comes through.
    I don't think O2-UK charge to have the phone looked at (so long as it isnt water damaged) but I'm not sure about getting a loan phone! I think I still have my old 9700 kicking about somewhere though.

I'm not sure wether to take it in to be looked at, or hope that it doesnt get any worse before february when I can get a new phone!
    07-30-12 10:30 AM
    I don't think O2-UK charge to have the phone looked at (so long as it isnt water damaged) but I'm not sure about getting a loan phone! I think I still have my old 9700 kicking about somewhere though.

I'm not sure wether to take it in to be looked at, or hope that it doesnt get any worse before february when I can get a new phone!
    I've never sold any of my old BB's, so I would most definitely not waste $45 to loan a 9300 when I have my trust 9700 kicking around as a backup.

Im holding off on the warranty for now, the issue seemed to be a lot worse last week (knock on wood). Now it's only happening about once or twice a day as opposed to once or twice a message. Could have well been dust, as I have sprayed the keyboard well with compressed air over the last few days.

However, nonetheless, I am going to monitor it sharply until August 10th, the very last day the warranty is up. I'd recommend you do the same before sending it out.
    07-30-12 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD