Ok, some will laugh, some will shake their heads and some will just say I'm plain crazy. But, for the sake of 'progress', I will share (at the risk of ridicule) my unorthodox solution to fix the creaky key issue.

I have a Rogers 9900 bold which I got replaced this morning because the trackpad was not centered on the unit! It was actually freaking rotated slightly counterclockwise. The screen was not flush to the keys BUT the menu and return keys worked flawlessly.

My new replacement unit had the trackpad, phone, menu, return and off keys all in the right location with respect to each other and the screen. In other words the build was good. However, the menu and return keys squeeked.

I didn't want to return and go thru all this crap again as the phone build in general was good with exception to the above mentioned issue.

So, I decided to take a chance to repair the squeeking issue at my risk. I ended up using a product I have been using to address all sorts of fittiment issues from electronics to cars. I used some Lloyds AD2000 on the keys and trackpad. Using a q-tip sprayed with some AD2000, I placed good amounts of it along the 4 edges of the trackpad and along the bottom of all 4 of the keys (along sliver trim).

Result was success! The keys no longer squeek!

Please do not use WD40 or any other chemical. AD2000 is a corrosion inhibitor and lubricant. It lubricates to ultra fine tolerances, leaves a CLEAN nin sticky residue which repels moisture. Safe on metals, alloys and plastic. 100% diaelectric which makes it safe for electronics.

Not saying this is the only solution but I liked it better than using a razor blade to increase tolerance between the keys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mobibiz, maiia, enzozenuni and 1 others like this.
    09-12-11 10:07 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm in England and there doesn't appear to be any online. Where do you get it from?
    09-13-11 01:52 AM
    Well, my friend it appears you have done a fine job of fixing your phone. This indeed is a good solution since the chemical you sprayed is not a conductor of electricity it sure would not create any issues on the device. I call this thinking out of the box.
    09-13-11 03:27 AM
    Where can we purchase Lloyd AD2000 in the States? I'm having the same issue but don't want to risk exchanging a unit with no other problems other than an annoying escape button.

09-13-11 05:37 AM
    Mine had this 'issue' the first days.
    Just try using your phone more

decypher44 likes this.
    09-13-11 09:33 AM
    Guys, I got this product from a local auto parts store.

Is it not available from amazon or ebay?

Its so amazing I use this for everything. WD40 is nothing compared to this.

Update, been 4 days and STILL no problems!

09-14-11 06:08 PM
    Which product are you using?

Lloyds: Search Results.

09-14-11 06:36 PM
    I remember going through 4 Bold 9700's and then 3 9780's looking for the right unit. Amazingly, everytime I returned one unit, the replacement unit had a slight defect itself. It seems as though the "perfect" unit is like finding that needle in the haystack. I've learned to live with creaky buttons and slight jiggles.

I'm glad you found your solution. RIM admittedly does have to do a better job building their devices....especially their "flagship" ones. I believe their declining quality control has much to do with their waning popularity. For me though, I've just learned to accept creaks and squeeks as just that and know when buying a blackberry that it runs with the territory.
    09-14-11 06:38 PM
    I may look into this as well if I could find it anywhere......I don't have a 9900 though. I rock a mytouch4G and the back button creaks like no other. I keep thinking on calling T-Mobile to get a replacement, but don't have any other issues besides the back key....afraid I may get a worse off phone and play duck-duck goose with my provider.

09-14-11 06:45 PM
    USE THIS ONE GUYS...

AD-2000™
    SUPER CUSHION LUBRICANT & CORROSION INHIBITOR
    Original formulation from the 1960's. AD2000 anti-corrosion formula is a lubricant that prevents and de-activates corrosion on metals, alloys, plastic and rubber on contact. It safely lubricates to ultra fine tolerances to eliminate squeaks and penetrates to leave a clean, non-sticky residue. Ideal for new and older equipment or parts when in storage, during transit or in operation.
    - Creeps to reach and protect hidden surfaces
    - Won't collect dust, dirt and grime
    - Completely dielectric, insulates short circuits caused by condensation
    - Maintains equipment like new
    - WHMIS\OSHA non-controlled, non-hazardous
    - Ideal for wiring harnesses and connections
    TECHNICAL DATA
    Flash Point Close cup ASTM D93 +210C
    Pour point 0C
    Viscosity 350 Cts
    Specific gravity .8850
    Dielectric Strength 34,000 volts