Is it possible to unlock a verizon blackberry bold 9930 to be used on the sprint network? how can i do this? I won a blckberry bold from the blackberry street team in NYC and I would like to use it. Switching carriers is not an option for me. Thanks for any help I can get!
    12-12-11 11:22 AM
    no, it can not
    i would find someone to trade with.
    and congrats
    12-12-11 11:23 AM
    is there a site where you can trade?
    12-12-11 11:47 AM
    No trades but use the market section in the forums here.
    12-12-11 11:52 AM
    thanks for the help! is there anyway to get around the post limit in the market place forum? I want to post a sale/trade
    12-12-11 01:58 PM
    thanks for the help! is there anyway to get around the post limit in the market place forum? I want to post a sale/trade

They're all messing with you, you can unlock it.

Just use the search function.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-12-11 03:14 PM
    Hank, what the heck are you talking about?

You cannot use a Verizon branded device on Sprint or vice versa.

And there's no way about the marketplace posting rules.

You might try selling it on Craigslist or eBay or in your local area as well.
    12-12-11 03:18 PM
    is there anyway to get around the post limit in the market place forum?
    No, there's always craigslist
    12-12-11 03:24 PM
    You can't unlock it?

12-12-11 06:40 PM
    Never mind, I was thinking of GSM phones.

12-12-11 06:47 PM
    a guy at a phone unlock place in chinatown said he can unlock it to use for sprint for $50. do you think it will work? I dont know if I should trust him.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/sprint-...sprint-666972/

Sprint will not activate a Verizon branded device on their network.

CDMA carriers use a database of ESNs, and any device that is not listed with their own branding will not be activated. That is why one cannot use VZW devices on Sprint and vice-versa.
    12-13-11 11:20 AM
    it is a blackberry bold 9930. sorry i dont think i know what flash means!
    12-13-11 11:24 AM
    it is a blackberry bold 9930. sorry i dont think i know what flash means!
    It doesn't matter what it is

CDMA carriers use a database of ESNs, and any device that is not listed with their own branding will not be activated. That is why one cannot use VZW devices on Sprint and vice-versa.
    12-13-11 11:33 AM
    ok. i will take my chances trying to sell it then. i dont want it to get damaged or anything at the unlock place.
    12-13-11 11:36 AM
    ok. i will take my chances trying to sell it then. i dont want it to get damaged or anything at the unlock place.
    A sale or trade are the most effective methods. The major CDMA carriers will not activate a competitor's device on their network, no matter what the misinformed will try to tell or sell you. Whatever you do, don't let anybody tamper with the 'flashing' of that new device, or its sale value plummet will break your heart.
    12-13-11 11:51 AM
    yeah, i ordered my bb9930 from radioshack for sprint's network and it's unlocked already
    12-13-11 02:39 PM
    yeah, i ordered my bb9930 from radioshack for sprint's network and it's unlocked already
    But it won't work on VZW. It's unlocked for GSM.
    12-13-11 02:56 PM
    To clarify - the Verizon 9930 has both CDMA and GSM, and unlocking means freeing up the GSM radios for use internationally. No such thing as unlocking on CDMA (Verizon and Sprint).
    12-13-11 06:53 PM
    A sale or trade are the most effective methods. The major CDMA carriers will not activate a competitor's device on their network, no matter what the misinformed will try to tell or sell you. Whatever you do, don't let anybody tamper with the 'flashing' of that new device, or its sale value plummet will break your heart.
    So many people try to scam with CDMA phones saying you can activate on another CDMA carrier if you "unlock" them and it's not true, never been true, never will be true. All Sprint will do is run your Verizon 9930's serial number, it won't be found in their database and that's the end of it.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-13-11 07:37 PM
    Only boost supports this reflashing .. CDMA networks do not allow other carrier ESN's to be used on their networks
    12-13-11 08:14 PM
    Got my day one 9930 Sprint to run on Boost Mobile if that is anything worth mentioning. They inquired about my phone type ect.. I acted like a flatout monkey and proceeded to "install" the number they granted me using the MSL(CDMA version of what would be considered a GSM unlock code). So yes you actually can unlock CDMA phones, its just getting a carrier to proceed might be tricky. I got lucky, the ESN I had had never been activated in their systems aside from it being clean and never used. I bought my bold without any activation (as required usually when buying any sort of smartphone from Verizon or Sprint) or if you lack activation, then you have to be an existing customer to sell the phone to you period. (I lucked out when I had a rep to his word he would sell me the phone day one when it was released for the retail price no strings attached).

Hassle, yes. Worth it? Meh not sure. Nice to have CDMA+GSM? Surely
    12-14-11 03:40 AM
    Wrong. You can't "unlock" a CDMA phone. Because it isn't locked to begin with. You didn't "unlock" the CDMA side of the phone. You had it "flashed". And Boost Mobile agreed to activate the foreign device on their network. (Note that the devices do not have ESNs anymore. They have MEIDs.) Sprint and Verizon still will not activate a foreign device on their network. Mostly because they have the strength/power not to. Boost Mobile is looking for customers wherever they can get them.
    12-14-11 06:54 AM
    MSL/SPC allows you to get into the CDMA engineering menu and get rid of activation required which we provide but does not unlock it.
    12-14-11 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD