11-13-11 01:15 PM
26 12
tools
    Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a unlocked bold 9900 and found a seller who has one on rogers wireless i am prepared to buy it however i have heard many stories saying that unlocked phones don't work with the internet. I'm not a super techy guy i don't own a PC only Mac's and I just want to get this unlocked phone, pop a sim card in it for ATT and be ready to roll with all the internet, bbm, mms, and phone working. Let me know what I should do in order to be able to do that with this bold 9900/9930 PS whats the difference between the 9900/9930 gsm vs cdma?
    09-25-11 03:57 PM
    Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a unlocked bold 9900 and found a seller who has one on rogers wireless i am prepared to buy it however i have heard many stories saying that unlocked phones don't work with the internet. I'm not a super techy guy i don't own a PC only Mac's and I just want to get this unlocked phone, pop a sim card in it for ATT and be ready to roll with all the internet, bbm, mms, and phone working. Let me know what I should do in order to be able to do that with this bold 9900/9930 PS whats the difference between the 9900/9930 gsm vs cdma?
    Rogers uses the same radio frequencies as AT&T so yes it really is that simple as long as the phone is truly unlocked. Some of AT&T's proprietary apps may not work or may not work correctly yet but the phone, RIM, and third party apps should work just fine.

CDMA and GSM are two completely different network technologies. The CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) are "world phones" (meaning they support CDMA AND GSM) but do not support AT&T 3G frequencies so you would be relegated to EDGE (2G) and you would need to do some tinkering to get MMS and a few other things working. T-Mobile also uses different 3G frequencies.
    09-25-11 04:45 PM
    but as long as it is unlocked on ROGERS than i should be totally okay?
    09-25-11 04:57 PM
    Yes as long as its a rogers 9900 and is unlocked, all you have to do is put your sim in and its good to go. No tinkering needed other than putting an unlock code in.
    09-25-11 05:16 PM
    an unlock code?! but i thought it was already unlocked when i buy it?
    09-25-11 05:18 PM
    Not necessarily I don't think. Unlocking is easy though. Pop in your AT&T sim and a box will pop up for you to enter a code. You can get one from many of the sites here on CB that do remote unlocking codes for a small price of 2-10 dollars
    09-25-11 05:19 PM
    okay thanks. The guy I'm buying from is stressing that it is already fully 100% unlocked but thanks
    09-25-11 05:22 PM
    If it is already unlocked then all you'll need to do is pop your AT&T sim and you're good to go ^__^
    09-25-11 05:23 PM
    you guys rock thanks. 1 more question. I have an iPhone 4 now and it has the micro sim card in it. In order to get a proper sim for the bold from At&t what should i do? go to a store?
    09-25-11 05:25 PM
    or if you get an unlock code before you enter the AT&T SIM, go to SIM Card in the potions and click MEP2 MEP4 to unlock the device. I think Rogers only has MEP2 anyway.
    09-25-11 05:35 PM
    you guys rock thanks. 1 more question. I have an iPhone 4 now and it has the micro sim card in it. In order to get a proper sim for the bold from At&t what should i do? go to a store?
    You should be able to bring your phone into the store when you get it and tell them your need a SIM and they should hook it up. Or tell them you bought a Torch2 and need a sim for it
    09-25-11 05:37 PM
    awesome thanks! I'm excited! now i just have to convince parents to let me buy the phone!
    09-25-11 05:48 PM
    Would you people stop confusing the poor OP? cford, if it's unlocked, it's unlocked, end of story. You do not have to enter a new unlock code and God knows whatever mss-ca is irrelevant.

What they SHOULD be telling you is that you CAN'T just pop in your iPhone SIM card in two reasons: One is that it's the wrong size. 9900 takes standard SIM. If you get a replacement it might be one of the dual micro-standard SIMs I have now from Rogers and also have for my T-Mobile US phone- you can pop the micro out and use wiith iPhone, iPad or the new Nokia phones that take them, or you can leave them as is and use in a BB or 99.9999% of the rest of the GSM phones in the world.

BUT- big but- YOU NEED A BLACKBERRY PLAN. You cannot use BBM with a standard generic data plan. I have no idea what ATT offers since I live in Canada but you need to start THERE.
    09-25-11 05:51 PM
    You can also buy a micro sim adapter that convert it to a regular sim size if you would like to change back and forth.
    09-25-11 05:53 PM
    I have had blackberry's before they have great plans Im just gonna switch from my unlimited data iPhone plan to an unlimited blackberry data plan. Thats no problem, and I know ATT will just issue me a new sim card.
    09-25-11 05:55 PM
    An unlock code only has to be entered into the device once and then it is permanently unlocked and if the seller advertises this as unlocked then it means they have done this already.
    09-25-11 06:49 PM
    All you have to do is go into an AT&T store (a real store not a reseller like Walmart or Best Buy) and explain what you are doing and after they explain that you wont get support from them for your device, may not work perfectly on their network, the usual disclaimers, etc they will switch your account to a new full sized SIM card and you will be ready to go. This is free.

One thing you should know however is that once they do this your old SIM card will be worthless and your old phone will not work since the old SIM will be de-provisioned. If you ever decide you want to go back to the iPhone 4 (or 5) you will need to repeat this. SIM cards live once and once de-provisioned they can not be reused.
    09-25-11 06:57 PM
    Best of luck with the rogers unlocked on att! I setup the same gig about 1 week ago and t still feel like I'm in heaven. Such a great decision. After you get it make sure you call att to update your emei on file too. If you have any other questions let me know via pm. I'd love to help. This phone is flawless and "4g" is pretty tight too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 10:36 PM
    Best of luck with the rogers unlocked on att! I setup the same gig about 1 week ago and t still feel like I'm in heaven. Such a great decision. After you get it make sure you call att to update your emei on file too. If you have any other questions let me know via pm. I'd love to help. This phone is flawless and "4g" is pretty tight too.

Do we have to call AT&T to update the emei? I have a 9700, if I put the sim card in the Rogers 9900 won't it auto update on the BIS site? Just checking......mine is enroute and I should have it by Wed.

09-25-11 10:45 PM
    Once registered on the network, you can go into email settings and plug in your email addresses.
    09-26-11 12:02 AM
    I called AT&T and had them change the IMEI from my 9700 to my 9900. Everything works flawlessly except VVM. The 9900 is not listed as compatible in their system, so it rejects the IMEI when they try to provision it for VVM. Standard vm works. AT&T no longer offers unlimited BB data plans. If you don't already have one, I doubt they will be able to give you one, even though your iPhone plan is. The good news is that 2GB is plenty for most BB users, unless you stream heavily. BBs are much more data-efficient than iPhones.

09-26-11 12:42 AM
    I thought id let you all know that I bought myself a bold 9900 and its on its way!
    YourMobileGuru and Terrigno like this.
    09-26-11 01:04 AM
    I just unlocked my Rogers Blackberry 9780 to use on At&t when I travel to the states. I'm just not sure what to do now besides the obviouse and buy a SIM card from an at&t store.
    11-13-11 03:38 AM
    Hi,

Yes, just go to an AT&T store when you get to the States and buy a prepaid simcard,
    pop it in the phone and it will work!
    11-13-11 06:09 AM
    If it is unlocked you will need no code. I have used unlocked Rogers devices on AT&T newtwork for years and there are no problems. You might find that you can not use Visual Voice Mail but that was no biggie for me. Some even claim to have a work around for that
    11-13-11 07:08 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD