Greetings everyone!

I've tried to find as much information as I can online but decided I needed to come onto a forum to find some hard answers.

So, I'll be heading to the States in the next month to work/live and have settled on signing up with Verizon. This step from GSM to CDMA is new to me, but it seems to be the more solid network of choice in the US.

My visa is only for 12 months, so I want to be investing in a phone that will serve me once I leave CDMA-USA. I have my sights on either the Bold 9930 or the newly announced iPhone 4S.

What I want to know is, once I leave the US and have unlocked my phone, is it all fine and dandy to use in the rest of the world on GSM networks with their sim cards? NOT roaming.

Also, is there any reason to unlock my phone while in the US? And I hear Verizon doesn't use sim cards - do the phones they sell still have a slot in them for any future sim card usage?

SO MANY QUESTIONS SORRY
    10-06-11 04:08 AM
    newer verizon blackberry's come with a SIM card slot for global roaming. their phones also offer GSM bands that cover all of the normal bands for 2G and usually 2100mhz for global 3G roaming. keep in mind, most US carriers offer their phones with a 2 year contract. when you leave, you will have to pay a termination fee for the other year.

if you are concerned about using the phone again on a GSM network after you leave, why not just get a GSM phone and choose a GSM carrier here like at&t. they are just as good as verizon and priced the same.
    10-06-11 04:17 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have chosen Verizon based on the numerous reviews in its favour, and quashing the GSM providers. I'll be in New York at first, and Verizon and Sprint come out on top, aka CDMA.

I'm aware 2 year contracts are what's advertised but I've read one year contracts can be negotiated. Or am is that just wishful thinking. I'd have to weigh up the dropped subsidy on the phone in a 1-year contract VS the cost of early termination.

I would love to give AT&T a shot, but the negative reviews in Manhattan are overwhelming.
    10-06-11 04:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have chosen Verizon based on the numerous reviews in its favour, and quashing the GSM providers. I'll be in New York at first, and Verizon and Sprint come out on top, aka CDMA.

I'm aware 2 year contracts are what's advertised but I've read one year contracts can be negotiated. Or am is that just wishful thinking. I'd have to weigh up the dropped subsidy on the phone in a 1-year contract VS the cost of early termination.

I would love to give AT&T a shot, but the negative reviews in Manhattan are overwhelming.
    i live 25 minutes from manhattan and i have never had an issue with my phone there whatsoever. if anything, verizons CDMA has a HARDER time penetrating buildings. outdoor coverage is the same for both carriers pretty much anywhere in this area. at&t's 850mhz GSM can penetrate better. but hey, its all up to you. there are 30 day trial periods for either carrier. if you arent happy, return the phone and cancel the contract with a restocking fee. reviews you read online are subjective. verizon has their "rule the air" campaign brainwashed into their customers and they will fight till the death defending their network. try it out for yourself and see what works best for YOU.

at my work i get full reception indoors all over my building and even in the basement. my coworkers with verizon get 1 bar indoors, if that, and no signal downstairs.

bottom line is both carriers phones can be unlocked and used abroad, if that answers your original question.
    10-06-11 08:15 AM
    Get an iphone 4S honestly since it's the first phone that allows you to switch between CDMA and GSM networks.
    10-06-11 08:17 AM
    Get an iphone 4S honestly since it's the first phone that allows you to switch between CDMA and GSM networks.
    That is not correct. Many BlackBerry's have included both CDMA & GSM radios for a long time.

Something else to keep in mind with the iPhone 4S is that you will have faster data speeds on AT&T's H+ network (ie much faster theoretical download speeds)!
    10-06-11 09:17 AM
    Some Verizon phones have BOTH CDMA Radio built in and the SIM slot for GSM connections. The BB Bold 9930 offered by Verizon is such a phone.

Yes, you can use a Local SIM when out of the US once the phone is unlocked. It's as good a solution as any other being recommended. I used my BB Storm on GSM while in London earlier this year and it worked just fine.

BTW, you can buy the BB Bold 9930 without any contract at all and pay month to month. You'll pay full retail price, but you can cancel service at any time and don't need to worry about any other fees. If you can get a better deal on a 1 year Contract, thn you should obviously go with that.
    Last edited by chasvs; 10-06-11 at 09:52 AM.
    10-06-11 09:48 AM
    Statements like these are why I have a strong hate for iPhone users in general. Usually very misguided thinking their devices are the only ones that do certain stuff. I have silenced many of them by downloading the same apps they think are Apple exclusive.

Now to the OP: I was in NY with my VzW BB9930 3 weeks ago and it performed extremely well. In fact there were places where I had signal and others using T-Mobile and Sprint were unable to hold onto a signal. I cannot comment on AT&T since nobody I was rolling with had the service but Sprint was particularly horrible with their data. Voice was good but their data was severly lacking. T-Mobile was just not picking up a signal. We duplicated this in Manhattan and Brooklyn where we frequented most.

Good luck in NY...fun place to visit but I'm not sure I would live there.
    10-06-11 10:34 AM
    Hahaha you can't go anywhere on tech forums these days without witnessing some form of Apple flame war! But yes, that was a bit of a foolish comment... I've tried finding a list compiled of (recent) CDMA/GSM dual phones, but most searches result in "GSM vs CDMA: Which is right for you??" - etc, etc...

Anyway, I will consider AT&T; the trial period is handy to know about. I guess there is no one solid performing mobile provider in America - it's all very individual.

I wouldn't want to buy a phone outright as I'll be a poor bugger and need to be scrupulous with my pennies! The subsidies on the phones are just too attractive and prepaid plans in America don't seem to be any cheaper than their contract counterparts.

So, AT&T vs VzW; Bold 9930 vs iPhone 4S .... decisions, decisions
    10-06-11 03:01 PM
    With either carrier, you can opt for the 1 year contract. The subsidy on the phone however is slightly less. For example, for 2 years, my bold was 199.99 vs 1 year where is is 299.99.

What phone do you have now? Why not continue to use a similar phone albeit CDMA variant of that one so you don't have to jump around trying to figure out what you like more?
    10-06-11 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD