i bought a SWEET 9930(my first new BB since my 8330!) off of ebay. it is a verizon phone. i bought it because i am traveling overseas to hong kong in a few months and want a new BB to use while over there(plus my 8330 is on sprint so i cant use it with their GSM networks).

i took it to verizon and verified it is not stolen and its all ready to be activated and all. since im not a verizon customer and i dont plan on activating it in the US until i come back, i did not activate the phone yet. i have my unlock code for it, but i cant get to the screen prompt that asks for you to enter the mep2 code. i cant do it with the verizon sim card(via the "long way" where you type in mepd in the sim card menu and then mep2 to get the prompt to come up) or another sim card(a at&t sim that a friend lent me for this purpose). both are not activated sim cards and im beginning to think that is why they are not allowing me to see the prompt for an unlock code.

so, my question is, does the sim card that is in the phone need to be activated? is this a simple fix that im all worried about? as of now i have a $300 paperweight and im beginning to get a little nervous about the situation. please help! any advice or knowledge about this would be GREATLY appreciated!
    07-07-12 06:49 PM
    so... i feel stupid, but i solved my own problem. found a friend with an activated t-mobile sim card popped it in and switched network technology from global to GSM and i connected to the t-mobile network. turns out, my phone was already unlocked! successfully made a call on t-mobile and everything. as i said, i feel stupid.

for future reference, to all those who had the frustrating fiasco of trying over and over to get the mep2 code prompt to open, if everything(network, sim, etc) in the menu says inactive/disabled after you type in the MEPD code, then that means your phone is unlocked. you may also have troubles getting a sim card to connect to its (respective) network when all all options(sim, network, etc) say disabled/inactive. to solve this you simply need to go options>networks and connections>mobile network and switch network technology from global to GSM/UMTS. works like a charm.
    07-08-12 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD