So it has 768 MB of App memory / RAM which is used to load the OS and applications right?

then we have the SD Card which we can place our media on like music, pics, etc.

So what is all about this 8 GB? Give me an example of how it can be used...

and if you wipe your device ever to load a new OS (not that it is mandatory but just making sure), do the files stored on the 8 GB memory get deleted or are those retained ?

Please explain in detail

Thank you
    08-16-11 09:21 PM
    The 768 MB of App memory is for the OS and installed applications only. The 8GB is for media storage. When I plug in my 9930 to my laptop it gives me 2 storage drives...one for my 16GB (14.9GB available) microSD card and one for the 8GB (6.29GB) of on board media storage. Even though you have 8GB of media storage you can only install apps in the 768 MBs of app memory.

I don't know 100% for sure but if you wipe the device, the 8GB of storage is gone too I think.
    08-16-11 09:55 PM
    The internal storage has os files also stored on it. the 768mb memory is for os and cods only, but the os7 is made in such a way that it cau store files on the embedded memory and pull them on command to run different features.
    08-16-11 10:07 PM
    Right, now it's clear.

Can someone confirm if you wipe the device, is the 8 GB memory formatted too and you lose your data? or the wipe only concerns the 768 MB storage space?
    08-16-11 10:17 PM
    Right, now it's clear.

Can someone confirm if you wipe the device, is the 8 GB memory formatted too and you lose your data? or the wipe only concerns the 768 MB storage space?
    In referencing vsharm01's post since 768MB is part of the 8GB of internal storage it's going to get erased also unless there's some option to not erase but I highly doubt that.
    08-16-11 10:21 PM
    In referencing vsharm01's post since 768MB is part of the 8GB of internal storage it's going to get erased also unless there's some option to not erase but I highly doubt that.
    Hmmm, so wait a second, let me get this straight.

When you upgrade your OS, the phone is usually wiped, then a fresh OS is installed then your backup is restored automatically.

IF one had like 8 GB of Music or files, then the backup and its restoration would take ages to complete. I really think that is different ....wonder how it really works
    08-16-11 10:58 PM
    Everyone is confusing themselves here!!

The 768MB is RAM, nothing is stored here when the device is turned off. Just like your home computer RAM. When your turn off the device the 768MB of RAM will empty out, nothing get stored here!! When you turn on the device files OS files and App files will be loaded into the RAM for run-time. OS files are store on a hidden partition and App files are stored on the partition you see in the device. Both partition are part of the 8GB on board. This is why you only see 6.2GB for media storage.
    08-16-11 11:43 PM
    Everyone is confusing themselves here!!

The 768MB is RAM, nothing is stored here when the device is turned off. Just like your home computer RAM. When your turn off the device the 768MB of RAM will empty out, nothing get stored here!! When you turn on the device files OS files and App files will be loaded into the RAM for run-time. OS files are store on a hidden partition and App files are stored on the partition you see in the device. Both partition are part of the 8GB on board. This is why you only see 6.2GB for media storage.
    Oh thank you for making this very clear.
    08-16-11 11:51 PM
    Oh thank you for making this very clear.
    As far as wiping the device, I haven't done mine yet and I am not planning to.

It might wipe the whole 8GB and re-partition it and everything will be lost or it might only wipe the 2 partition affect (OS files/App files). The only way to know is to try it.
    08-17-11 12:19 AM
    sorry for bringing this thread again guys, I thought I posted here rather than opening a new thread. Since I downloaded the app world ver 3 today, I saw that in the app world memory storage it says "197mb of 512 mb free". I thought the bb 9900 has 768mb memory, how come it says 512mb? please help me with this confusion/
    09-06-11 05:44 PM
    Wiping the device with BBSAk will not wipe the 8g internal memory. If you do a security wipe it will.
    09-07-11 12:52 AM
    When you do a security wipe there is an option to delete the built in media card (ie the 8gb) or not, it's your choice.
    09-07-11 01:44 AM
    sorry for bringing this thread again guys, I thought I posted here rather than opening a new thread. Since I downloaded the app world ver 3 today, I saw that in the app world memory storage it says "197mb of 512 mb free". I thought the bb 9900 has 768mb memory, how come it says 512mb? please help me with this confusion/
    That's because the 768 is shared between ram and video ram for graphic acceleration

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ocena88 likes this.
    09-07-11 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD