10-19-11 09:34 AM
33 12
tools
    Hi Crackberriers!

I'll start by saying I'm a complete BB noob so I do apologise if I ask some obvious questions in this post.

A friend of mine tells me he has a small batch of unbranded Bold 9900s and being that I'm the most computer literate person he knows he's asked me to try and get them working.

I'm looking at the OS 7 downloads but it seems that there are different versions for different carriers? Have I got this right? We're in the UK but I think that all versions of the 9900 are either GSM or world phones so that should mean it'll run on any network? Searching the forums seems to show people doing ok with the unbranded phones. Does that mean the OS is preinstalled or have these people downloaded the OS?

Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    mopatops
    Last edited by mopatops; 10-17-11 at 03:52 PM.
    10-17-11 03:48 PM
    If the imei starts with 044 then good luck...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-11 04:06 PM
    You say that because I'm going to have trouble if they're 044? Could you explain why?
    Thanks
    10-17-11 04:35 PM
    You can install any carrier's OS and it should work. You just won't get certain carrier features, (wallpaper, apps, settings, etc.), but that shouldn't affect the overall use of the BB, such as email, texting, phone calls, browsing, etc.

I had an unbranded 9870 before my 9900 and I regularly installed different carrier OS and it was fine.
    10-17-11 09:39 PM
    But, just in case, you should call your carrier and double check. My carrier, Rogers, in Canada, said it didn't matter.
    10-17-11 09:40 PM
    That sounds like good news! My friend wants to use the cheaper BBs to bring potential customers to his business and I was wondering whether we were going to have to find and install a different OS for each customer. There are 6 big network carriers here in the UK so that would have been a nightmare.
    Thanks for you help! I'll keep posted here how it all goes.
    10-18-11 04:14 AM
    A friend of mine tells me he has a small batch of unbranded Bold 9900s and being that I'm the most computer literate person he knows he's asked me to try and get them working.
    All BlackBerrys come with a pre-installed OS... just tell your friend to press the 'on' button.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 04:33 AM
    Carriers only modify the OS to look nice, most leaked and released OS`s are very similar apart from possibly Language cods

I also have never ran an official OS from my carrier on Orange in the UK and never had issues, now on an umbranded 9900 and running a generic release of .440.
    10-18-11 05:30 AM
    All BlackBerrys come with a pre-installed OS... just tell your friend to press the 'on' button.

An 'on' button? Haven't heard of it...

Carriers only modify the OS to look nice, most leaked and released OS`s are very similar apart from possibly Language cods

I also have never ran an official OS from my carrier on Orange in the UK and never had issues, now on an unbranded 9900 and running a generic release of .440.
    So the carriers don't change much other than adding bloatware apps? Is your .440. the same leak that I've found here?

I'm seeing the phones for the first time tomorrow and it seems there are some unbranded phones which work fine and others without pins so here's hoping!
    Thanks again
    10-18-11 12:04 PM
    So this is a batch of Evaluation Units then? Property of RIM, not for sale or lease.

If they have been PIN blocked, then they're bricks. You can't reactivate them.

10-18-11 12:13 PM
    He has 3 at the moment to see if we can get them working and if they're all good he's going to order a batch of 50 or so I think. As you posted earlier, it might be as easy as turning the phone on and testing with a BB sim (I heard a sim bought with a BB will not give 3G on a non-BB phone?) but as I said, I know very little about BlackBerries so this is all new ground to me.
    10-18-11 12:41 PM
    If the imei begins with 044 then don't touch them... They are pre-release testing units and if you were to use them, you would get a call from RIM asking for them back...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-18-11 04:51 PM
    If the imei begins with 044 then don't touch them... They are pre-release testing units and if you were to use them, you would get a call from RIM asking for them back...
    That's not true. It's 0044 and RIM certainly won't be calling you

RIM usually PIN block their evaluation units after release, but not always. I'm still using a year old pre-release 9780 with no problems, but some aren't so lucky.

Strictly speaking those devices remain the property of RIM, and they do request them back after testing... but many get 'lost in the system'.

If someone is able to get hold of a batch of these, then something's definitely fishy!

10-18-11 05:06 PM
    yes they will call you, speaking from experience. i had a call from the head of corporate security at the rim office in slough because i had a pre-release unit...

he was able to get the phone number from the sim i was using etc.. i was shocked to say the least....
    10-18-11 05:18 PM
    That was unfortunate... but kinda like ****ting on your own doorstep though

I always get my pre-releases from Canada.

10-18-11 05:25 PM
    Hey Phil, how do you get a hold of these pre-release BB's?
    PM me if you need to keep it private
    10-18-11 05:35 PM
    No secret Ern... eBay mate

It's risky, and you pay for the privilege, but if the exchange rate is good it's worth it.

The listings usually get removed pretty sharpish, so you have to get an email in quick.

10-18-11 05:42 PM
    do you know if these unbranded phones have all 3g bands opened up?

All BBs contain the hardware for all 3g bands, but rim flashes them with firmware to activate only a certain carrier's 3g... Bands 1, 2, 5, 6 (att, bell, telus, rogers etc) or 1, 4, 8 (tmobile, wynd...)

If these unbranded berries have all 3g bands available I need to get one so I can have 3g when I swap sim cards for traveling
    10-18-11 05:45 PM
    Nah, the bands are locked down at the factory and I don't believe they can be changed.

Not a problem here in the UK as we all use band 1 (2100Mhz).
    10-18-11 05:54 PM
    Ah ok. Thanks for the info.
    I'm with Bell in Canada and roaming charges are expensive so I get a prepaid tmobile sim card to use when traveling to the USA. I would like to unlock those 3g bands if possible... being stuck on edge is painfully slooooow

my bell 9900 has no carrier branding or splash screen, so it 'looks' unbranded..
    10-18-11 05:58 PM
    All Bell blackberries appear to be unbranded. So once you unlock them I think its basically the same as these hard to find 'unbranded' phones you speak of. Just an FYI incase you're looking for one in the future
    10-18-11 06:02 PM
    We're talking evaluation/engineering/pre-release test units here Ern, not unbranded or network unlocked phones.

Completely different kettle of fish

ifraser likes this.
    10-18-11 06:09 PM
    Ah ok. I didn't quite get what an unbranded phone was like. When you said the 3g bands were still locked down I assumed it wasn't really anything special as I thought most testing/pre-release berries had the 3g bands opened up so they could be tested anywhere by anyone on any carrier etc. My mistake.

What exactly is special about these unbranded phones then?

I've heard there is some RIM software that can change the 3g bands, but who has it or could I get it, I do not know...
    10-18-11 06:14 PM
    There's nothing special about unbranded phones... they're 10 a penny.

A couple of us just suspect that the OP's friend has got his hands on a batch of Evaluation Units because of the broken PIN problems he mentioned, rather than just unbranded phones. Worse still, they could be stolen and IMEI locked

Obviously a simple wipe and OS install will not fix those phones.

We can't talk about the RIM software thing on here though Ern, it's against the forum rules.

10-18-11 06:36 PM
    okay cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me Phil
    10-18-11 06:39 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD