Hi,
    I got a 9900 Bold from my company. I unlocked it from the Company's provider...(this worked well and the phone is now able to use any SIM ) But.. when I went to set up my Email acct. by mistake I pressed the ENTERPRISE ACCT instead of the INTERNET ACCT. So now it is stuck waiting for an email and password.
    I have done the soft reset, the security wipe...I even connected it to the Desktop pgm and saw a bunch of updates come down... but nothing helps. I cannot go back to the screen where you can choose between internet or Enterprise acct.
    Can anyone help ? ( the Telekom provider tells me that there is nothing I can do.. )
    I wanted to try to get our IT in the Co. to reactivate my BB acct. in order to make it go thru the activation process and eventually I think I should be able to get to the screen with the choice Internet/ Enterprise.. But is there any other way ? ( to reactivate the BB acct is almost impossible..)

Thanks a lot
    Fabio
    09-17-14 02:29 PM
    Hi Fabio,
    First off, please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to help you.

I'm a bit confused about why you got this from your company but then unlocked it. Are you meant to pay for the monthly service yourself on your own carrier? Does the company use a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Service) server?

Legacy BBOS devices like your Bold 9900 require a BlackBerry-specific data plan called BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) in order to function properly. If it's unlocked and you've now inserted a live SIM card from another carrier, call your carrier ASAP and confirm you are now on a BIS plan.

Being on the BIS plan should fix things. That will allow the device to automatically download resources from BlackBerry that allow it function completely.
    09-17-14 05:41 PM
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

The company is switching from BB to iPhone, so all employees asked to keep their BBs as they are still new, so that they could use them for their private emails. However I see the problem now :-(

Just today I was able to receive a new SIM from the carrier of my Company, just to try to get out of the Enterprise activation screen. The SIM was activated for BB service and when I started the device, after creating a BB acct. it allowed me to select which type of email acct to set up ( Internet or Enterprise). So I was able to install the normal internet private acct. and use it properly. ( receive and send )
    However.. when I switched back to my new "private" SIM, I was able only to receive emails and no longer to send. The device said that the connection to the server was lost.
    It happened exactly as you mentioned. I guess I need to contact my new provider and see if i can use this 9900 just for my private email acct. without receiving any charges for BB services.

Thanks a lot for your reply....

PS.... I am in Austria. The old provider was A1 telekom. The new provider is 3.
    Noel Breaks likes this.
    09-18-14 05:27 PM
    ... I guess I need to contact my new provider and see if i can use this 9900 just for my private email acct. without receiving any charges for BB services...
    No you can't. It's a strength and weakness of the legacy BBOS platform. The pros of the BIS system are that it's probably the most secure of all consumer mobile platforms since all data goes through BlackBerry servers, plus it compresses data so you may save on extra data charges. The cons are the extra charge, which typically ranges from $0-$10, depending on your carrier.

There's a little more to it. Many of the apps and functions are only unlocked by receiving files called Service Books from your carrier if you're on a BIS plan. Some users have had success finding the service books online and installing themselves. However that's not dependable, and you may very well lose it just by restarting your phone.

Honestly it's a whole lot of headache to save only a couple euros.

My recommendation: see if your new provider has Loyalty department (or something like that). These are higher-level customer service people who can typically offer deals not otherwise available. Maybe they'll waive any additional charges so you can get on BIS without paying more.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    09-19-14 01:30 AM
    That sucks, vodafone here includes BIS charges on ANY post paid account.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-19-14 02:54 AM
    :-( too bad... I think it was not a smart move to get the old BB. I will check for the "loyalty".. but i guess I will need to change to a simple android..

THANKS again...

Regards,
    Fabio
    09-20-14 06:58 PM