Oh I see. Question. If you are wifi calling while your traveling outside the U.S. do the calls go against your minutes? Can you basically call anyone you want without worrying about long distance charges. I travel to Canada a lot and call back to the U.S. as well as local places in Canada.
    Yes, it will be as if you were in the USA. For example, if you were in Canada and turned off mobile network, and left wifi on, you can make a call as if you were in USA. But be careful because sometimes it connects back to the gsm network (but if you uncheck mobile network it will be good to go).
    08-31-11 06:01 PM
    I just got back home from my local TMO store. I went to talk to a friend of mine who works there and thought I would share what I just read.

First I know people like to say no photos no proof but I just looked over a document from TMO and RIM stating that the 9900 at launch will not have UMA and hotspot. However the document did state point blank that UMA and Hotspot will be enable during the next OTA update.

Now if the price would drop down to $200 and I would be in.
    BBxpress likes this.
    08-31-11 08:34 PM
    You beat me to it. But thanks for the heads up. Now that I got the phone, I am just now waiting for the update which I can not wait! Do you happen to know the date or possibly when?
    08-31-11 08:40 PM
    You beat me to it. But thanks for the heads up. Now that I got the phone, I am just now waiting for the update which I can not wait! Do you happen to know the date or possibly when?
    I am sorry I don't, but I got the impression it would be this quarter.
    08-31-11 08:41 PM
    The rep I talked to said the same thing, only that it "wouldn't be called UMA." Not sure what that really entails but there's definitely something in the pipeline.

Any idea how much Hotspot will cost?
    08-31-11 08:49 PM
    The rep I talked to said the same thing, only that it "wouldn't be called UMA." Not sure what that really entails but there's definitely something in the pipeline.

Any idea how much Hotspot will cost?
    Actually the email I read said UMA.
    08-31-11 09:01 PM
    UMA will not be supported on the Bold 990 with T-Mobile. The device will get an OTA sometime in Q4 to enable the hotspot feature and WiFi calling. The Wifi calling feature it will get should be the same that T-Mobile has for the Android devices. It will only work on WiFi and will not feature seamless handoff to the mobile network like UMA.
    BBxpress likes this.
    08-31-11 10:54 PM
    UMA will not be supported on the Bold 990 with T-Mobile. The device will get an OTA sometime in Q4 to enable the hotspot feature and WiFi calling. The Wifi calling feature it will get should be the same that T-Mobile has for the Android devices. It will only work on WiFi and will not feature seamless handoff to the mobile network like UMA.
    I am sorry but what do you mean by "not feature seamless handoff to the mobile network"... are you saying that you can't use that feature over a network? Essentially it will be WiFi calling only?
    08-31-11 11:00 PM
    I am sorry but what do you mean by "not feature seamless handoff to the mobile network"... are you saying that you can't use that feature over a network? Essentially it will be WiFi calling only?
    Basically if you're on a call and go beyond WiFi range the call will drop. Previously the WiFi network would "hand off" to the mobile network so you would not drop the call. Not really a big deal, in my opinion.
    09-01-11 12:09 AM
    Basically if you're on a call and go beyond WiFi range the call will drop. Previously the WiFi network would "hand off" to the mobile network so you would not drop the call. Not really a big deal, in my opinion.
    Oh I see. Question. If you are wifi calling while your traveling outside the U.S. do the calls go against your minutes? Can you basically call anyone you want without worrying about long distance charges. I travel to Canada a lot and call back to the U.S. as well as local places in Canada.
    09-01-11 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD