I'm in NYC, but if I travel 2 another country, like France, and I'm sitting at Starbucks using wi-fi, does that mean my US based phone will be able 2 make phone calls via the wi-fi connection from a Starbucks in France?

Can someone please calrify?
    12-25-11 12:33 AM
    I'm in NYC, but if I travel 2 another country, like France, and I'm sitting at Starbucks using wi-fi, does that mean my US based phone will be able 2 make phone calls via the wi-fi connection from a Starbucks in France?

Can someone please calrify?
    IF you have service from T-mobile USA and once you have the 7.1 release of the OS, then no matter where you are internationally, as long as you have wifi access to the internet, your 9900 will be able to make and receive calls as if you were in the United States.

I do a LOT of international traveling and this feature has saved me and my company literally $1,000s of dollars. However, it doesn't always work well - sometimes the wifi signal you get (e.g., in your hotel room) is subpar and doesn't provide enough bandwidth for a decent phone call. Other times, the wifi network appears to have some ports blocked which prevent the phone from connecting to the tmobile infrastructure sited in the States.
    12-25-11 07:11 AM
    I have the 7.1 release, and It doesn't connect to UMA. Do I need to upgrade my sim, or try another build. I have 7.1.0.74

Any guidance would be great.
    12-25-11 07:27 AM
    Maybe your UMA doesn't work cause u illegally downloaded an OS that hasn't been officially released yet?
    12-28-11 12:11 AM
    well i downloaded the 7.1 from the forums and UMA has been working great .. there are no options/places to go and enable it .. just switch on wifi and connect to a wifi network, and you will see a pop up message saying wifi calling blah blah !!! i m runnin 7.1.74 version as well .. its a 9900 TMO branded version ..
    12-28-11 10:26 AM
    "illegally downloaded".....now that gave me a good laugh today.

BlackberryFan2009, it has been my experience that I can call outside of the U.S.A. via WiFi/UMA without a problem.
    12-28-11 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD