Hi...

I bought an unbranded, unlocked sim-free 9900 from Amazon.co.uk... not a 3rd party. Put in my O2 Pay and Go sim car, have my BB Bolt-on.... all works great!

A few weeks ago I got the 7.0 update upgrading to bundle 2406. Great.

The 7.1 still hasn't arrived.

Yesterday I called O2... the Dude said 7.1 HAD been released and said I should "go to the BlackBerry website and click download" ... I told him I have tried updating from the desktop software if that's what he means.... he said he thinks that's what he meant.

Anyway, regardless of how I try it says I am up-to-date with 7.0 2406 and no 7.1... I don't want to install a leaked version etc.

Has anybody had similar experiences or have any advice? Maybe it isn't released yet. Not sure if it comes from O2 or not. Especially as my 9900 is unbranded.

Thank you
    01-19-12 05:52 AM
    1) OS7.1 hasn't been officially released for the 9900 by anyone yet. If you want it, download the latest leaked version.

2) You will never be prompted for an OS update from O2 using Desktop Manager, because you don't own an O2 phone.
    01-19-12 06:00 AM
    What a classic customer services reply though, they dont think
    to check what you are asking 1st.

As last answer, the leak is the way forward, and with .205 leaking last night it looks like we are onto a winner now.
    01-19-12 06:30 AM
    That's one of a genius you spoke to on the phone...
    01-19-12 06:30 AM
    1)You will never be prompted for an OS update from O2 using Desktop Manager, because you don't own an O2 phone.
    That made me laugh out loud. I can imagine the OP waiting weeks and weeks and getting very irate with O2 customer service before he figured out what was happening.

Anyway, I am on O2 UK and I installed the leak last night without any issues and I would recommend you give it a go. Elite1 published a very good guide which you can search the forums for.

My 9900 is a genuine O2 one and I haven't been offered an official upgrade yet. To be fair to O2 they are quite good at providing these upgraded OS's, but they are (naturally) quite a bit behind the leaked ones.
    01-19-12 06:34 AM
    Thanks for the helps guys. I really appreciated it.

I am happy with O2 in general and you always get the odd numpty on the phone with any company. Because I am not on a contract they aid I must speak to general customer services so I guessed that they were somehow guessing too.

Anyway, there's no hurry for me. I will just wait.

Thanks again.
    01-19-12 09:08 AM
    Anyway, there's no hurry for me. I will just wait.
    Thanks again.
    You're welcome, but what do you mean by "I will just wait"? I think from what Phill said above you will be waiting forever as your phone isn't an O2 supplied one. Or maybe he means that whichever carrier is on your 9900 will update eventually.
    01-19-12 09:25 AM
    2) You will never be prompted for an OS update from O2 using Desktop Manager, because you don't own an O2 phone.
    I would have to disagree with this point. O2 dont brand their phones and dont lock them to their network. My O2 9900 has no O2 branding on it whatsoever and has been prompted for updates through DM in the past.

I have installed leaked OS's on both this phone and my 9700 and the O2 bloatware always gets installed once the service books come down.

I dont see any way that O2 could know via DM as to wether the phone that the OP owns was bought from them or not. So long as it has an O2 SIM then I dont see any reason why DM wouldnt prompt him to install 7.1 once its available.

Of course, I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong!
    01-19-12 11:54 AM
    You're welcome, but what do you mean by "I will just wait"? I think from what Phill said above you will be waiting forever as your phone isn't an O2 supplied one. Or maybe he means that whichever carrier is on your 9900 will update eventually.
    I think it will come eventually. See my first post too - I did get the 2406 Bundle update without any issues a few weeks ago. (Through the phone itself, not Desktop software)

I'm just not sure who "delivers" the update, whether it's BB or the carrier. I guess BB through the Desktop software. I guess as I had the previous update so one way or another here's no reason for me not to get future updates.

More importantly Phil says 7.1 hasn't officially been released for the 9900 in the UK so that's the bottom line.

Thanks guys, interesting discussion. I hate bloatware so never get phones from carriers.
    01-19-12 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD