Do OS versions .342 and .402 fix these bugs?

These are two bugs that I saw in a previous OS. One I experienced myself, and the other I saw many posts about.

Since they are so annoying for those that use their BB for music, I thought I'd ask for the sake of everyone who is considering upgrading their OS.

Please reply only if you've experienced one of these bugs, since that way we know you have a similar use pattern for your device.

Bug 1: Pausing, then unpausing MP3 tracks in the media player causes a problem with playback (volume, bass, treble, etc.).

Bug 2: Streaming music over bluetooth usually works fine, but occasionally the media player freezes and holds resources. When this happens, music will no longer play, media can no longer be recorded or viewed, and phone calls cannot be answered until either a reboot or after a long wait for the media player to be closed for "not responding".

Bug 3 (Added 7/16/12 after using OS .342): Streaming music over bluetooth usually works fine, but occasionally the media player will resume from pausing or resume from a disconnect (leaving the car) by playing the wrong track. It seems to usually be the next track in the album. When this happens, the player claims to still be playing the correct track.

Any input would be appreciated!
    Last edited by mzman; 07-16-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: updated with new bug on .342
    04-24-12 04:32 PM
    The only way to find out if the later builds work is to try it out on your device yourself. It could be settings transferred by apploader or desktop manager across previous versions of the OS or devices you had before.

I do a complete wipe and reload every second month to avoid these things. I had the bug with the media player until I did that, and it hasn't occurred since.
    04-24-12 04:49 PM
    The only way to find out if the later builds work is to try it out on your device yourself. It could be settings transferred by apploader or desktop manager across previous versions of the OS or devices you had before.

I do a complete wipe and reload every second month to avoid these things. I had the bug with the media player until I did that, and it hasn't occurred since.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't like that approach, since I don't have the time to follow it. If an OS is so fragile that it is partially non-functional after a normal installation without jumping through special hoops, I call that a bug.

Which of the two bugs went away for you, and under which OS versions?
    04-24-12 04:55 PM
    did not have any of these issues, when running the old 342 or 402 now.
    04-24-12 04:55 PM
    did not have any of these issues, when running the old 342 or 402 now.
    To clarify: you had them both when using older OS versions?
    04-24-12 04:56 PM
    I had only one (the media player not recording or playing anything, didn't affect phone calls), I didn't have any issues with mp3's either. Until I did use a later build and only after doing a selective restore. My backup consists of only the necessities, nothing else, not even any of the *stores or databases.
    04-24-12 05:03 PM
    I had only one (the media player not recording or playing anything, didn't affect phone calls), I didn't have any issues with mp3's either. Until I did use a later build and only after doing a selective restore. My backup consists of only the necessities, nothing else, not even any of the *stores or databases.
    Thanks. I can't do that. I need to use the phone as intended - I need a history of emails, calls, etc. I mean, if I could be sure that problems would go away, I'd do it. However, it all seems like a bit of voodoo. My upgrades and restores always went through without a hitch.
    04-24-12 05:08 PM
    Thanks. I can't do that. I need to use the phone as intended - I need a history of emails, calls, etc. I mean, if I could be sure that problems would go away, I'd do it. However, it all seems like a bit of voodoo. My upgrades and restores always went through without a hitch.
    The other databases, which don't relate to the calendar, contacts (address book/address book - all), memopad or messages can be excluded. Even application permissions can be skipped.

If you have access to a computer or your webmail interface for your e-mail, you could easily access any e-mail that isn't on your blackberry. I do that frequently and it's dead-simple with yahoo mail. Gmail is similar, just as easy.
    04-24-12 05:13 PM
    I did not have the pause/play issue on .342. I just now tried it and it is not an issue with .402 on my device.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    04-24-12 07:26 PM
    Prior to .342, after I paused, the music would start very loudly - much louder than when it was paused. That has not happened to me one time since I upgraded to .342 a couple of days ago. The jury is still out, but so far so good.
    04-24-12 07:30 PM
    I had Bug 2 with .267. Really annoying as I use my bluetooth headphones to listen to music at work alot. It went away with .402. Not a single bluetooth media glitch in two days of streaming with lots of pauses.
    Last edited by rcozzo; 04-24-12 at 08:01 PM.
    04-24-12 07:57 PM
    I had Bug 2 with .267. Really annoying as I use my bluetooth headphones to listen to music at work alot. It went away with .420. Not a single bluetooth media glitch in two days of streaming with lots of pauses.

I need to get some bluetooth headphones.

04-24-12 08:02 PM
    I, unlike the lucky individuals in this thread, have experienced the media player(pause/play) issue. .267, .284, .342, & .402 give me this issue(along with sunlight problems). On 7.1.0.205 & under, I do not have these issues though.
    04-24-12 10:03 PM
    For bug #1 I believe it only happens when you have headphones connected. This has been an issue for the past 3 releases out for the 9930, including. 402.
    04-24-12 10:40 PM
    For bug #1 I believe it only happens when you have headphones connected. This has been an issue for the past 3 releases out for the 9930, including. 402.

You are correct. I just tried headphones and the problem is still there. Crud....

04-24-12 11:23 PM
    Once they introduced Media Sharing the Music Player went to crap. I mean, how many people use their phone as an mp3 now a days? I know I do. These issues shouldn't have even made it in the initial release with media sharing, let alone every once since.
    04-25-12 10:46 PM
    I have had the pause volume problem with every OS I've used on my 9900. I am now using the .402 build and the problem is still there.
    04-26-12 12:20 AM
    Is there a workaround for bug #1? Is it just a matter of turning the volume down?

Any more reports on bug #2?
    04-26-12 08:49 AM
    @mzman for bug #1, my workaround, such as it is, is to push stop on the media player and restart the song. For me anyway, this resets the volume and tone balance to previous levels. I haven't experienced bug #2, so I have nothing for that one. Sorry.
    Last edited by oldtimeBBaddict; 04-26-12 at 09:14 AM. Reason: posting before I've had my coffee
    04-26-12 09:13 AM
    I'm now on .342. Bug #1 is still there. I use bluetooth streaming in my car, and not every day. I'll try it there for a while and report back.
    05-11-12 05:20 PM
    I'm using .391 from Rogers (and other previous version) and experiencing bug 1 as well. Its so annoying!
    05-11-12 06:14 PM
    I'm using .391 from Rogers (and other previous version) and experiencing bug 1 as well. Its so annoying!
    Yup I'm experiencing bug 1 (tone change) on .391. Very strange.

I'm relieved its not a hardware issue considering I just bought it used.
    05-15-12 08:36 AM
    I too have been experiencing issue # 1 ever since I upgraded to OS 7.1 last month. And from the looks of things it is in all OS 7.1 builds. What is wrong with RIM's OS development team Look on what we have to put up with for better battery life
    05-15-12 03:33 PM
    Prior to .342, after I paused, the music would start very loudly - much louder than when it was paused.
    Faced something similar using .342 and .391 but in my case, it wasn't related to pausing the music. By itself, the levels would just shoot up from its "user set levels" to a "very loud level" and also sounds extremely poor with a complete loss of fidelity (as if its a media player of a $10 handheld gizmo). Reboot usually fixes it.

P.S. My music files are all FLAC, not MP3 or AAC.
    05-15-12 08:18 PM
    FYI for all: you don't have to restart the song to fix the problem. Just cycle the repeat feature through single-repeat, then repeat-all, and back to normal. Then unpause. Play resumes normally.

Unfortunately, .342 has introduced other Media Player bugs for me.

Since using this for a while, I have to say the media player issues are worse than they were on the official Verizon OS. I no longer have the bluetooth playback issue, and I can work around the volume change after pause. I have some new issues though.

Sometimes MP3s will spontaneously stop playing in the middle of a track. I usually have to stop and restart the song to fix this. A few times I've had to reboot.

Also, when pausing and restarting a track, a different track will start playing! This occurs even though the media player claims it's still on the correct track. Again, a stop followed by play press is required to correct the situation.

These don't happen too often, but plenty enough to be annoying. I'd say once every hour or two of play, or after every 5-10 pauses.

Anyone else?

It's amazing that creating a working media player can be so difficult these days.
    bulls2213 likes this.
    06-21-12 11:26 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD