Purchased a Hungary 2 9900 from Amazon UK earlier in the week but was disappointed to find it had a squeaky trackpad and raised buttons against the screen which created a sharp edge on the thumb. I decided to get a replacement which I received today (top service from Amazon as always).

Much more sadness rains down on me as the replacement - while perfect in everyway with regards to build - has a vertical line of bad pixels about a centimetre in from the left side! This is also a Hungary 2 model.

Now do I go for 3s the charm or walk away?
    10-28-11 05:10 PM
    Give it a try. Takes some of the ppl here a few kicks at the can. I'm on my third and its pretty good but has a twisted trackpad that is lavendar colored.
    10-28-11 05:28 PM
    ^
    So 3 might not be the magic number....
    10-28-11 05:37 PM
    Seriously annoying. I feel for you. I sure hope someone from RIMs QC dept stops by CB once in a while. They should be better at detecting these anomalies at final QC/burn in before shipping phones.
    10-28-11 08:13 PM
    Most bb's have had similar issues....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 09:19 PM
    i had to go thru 3 sets of bold to get the right one haha..
    10-28-11 10:43 PM
    Having spent some time playing with the 9900 (even though it has a faulty screen) I've decided to try a 9810 instead. The 9900 has now gone back to Amazon.

The bad:
    • To often do I touch the screen with my thumb when using the trackpad, annoying!
    • It feels a little too wide and flat in the hand which is a little uncomfortable, it's not very ergonomic.
    • The screen is a little too small when it comes to scrolling around a website when surfing.

On the plus side:
    • Keyboard really is excellent for my fat thumbs.
    • Screen is sharp and bright, easily as good as the iPhone 4 to my eyes.
    • It looks beautiful.
    • Glowing trackpad is a nice touch.
    • Music player sound quality is the best I've heard on a mobile.

I've used my missus 9800 for a while and I like way it fits in the hand, the keyboard is nowhere near as nice as the 9900 but it's better than no keyboard. As long as the browser is or par with my old iPhone and 1000x faster than the 9800, I might have a keeper.
    11-01-11 04:32 PM
    keep trying, mine has been great build wise
    11-01-11 05:37 PM
    Right tried to live with the 9810 for a day but could tell it wasnt for me, the keyboard just isnt the same and the sliding mech was getting on my nervous after a few hours. The size and weight is ok but overall it just didnt feel as nice as the feeling the 9900 gave.

So now Im back to a broken iphone 3G (opened it up to replace battery, broke the ear speaker cable and light sensor) so need a phone soon. Ive put an order in for a iphone 4s which will take upto 2 weeks as a backup, back to considering one last go at a 9900.
    11-08-11 07:51 AM
    Been there done that. You'll find tons of people in here who've had issues with several 99xx befor they got one without any issues.
    11-08-11 08:07 AM
    all the ones i've seen made in Canada 1 have the best build...

i have one that is made in Canada 1... my first one was made in Mexico 4.. it was decent, but had the raised keys and squeeky trackpad..
    11-08-11 08:52 AM
    went to at&t corp store yesterday to get one. Unit on display has those same issues with raised buttons and a sharp edge. So i ask a sales rep if i buy now Bold 9900 and on mine will be those same issues...I'm not going to get it, so guess what he said to me "well then I have to pay restocking fee $35.00" My answer was Go F...yourself and walked out of store.
    11-08-11 01:17 PM
    Yeah good luck finding one completely flush. How are the trackpads- notice slightly counter clockwise?
    11-08-11 01:45 PM
    I'm on my fourth,

first one from mexico 4: to sharp a lip and poor signal quality
    second one from hungry: 3.5mm headphone jack didn't work
    third one from hungry: lock button was sticking and eventually jammed
    fourth one, back to mexico 4: fingers crossed, loaded .474 OS on it and so far had excellent battery life with no dropped calls or signal issues, no squeaking from trackpad and only a minor lip from convenience buttons to screen.

In fairness I think thats quite bad as I work in a phone shop and thus can test the phone's before I exchange, its still not as bad as the iPhone 4S though. Heard of some people having exchanged theirs over 20 times
    11-08-11 01:57 PM
    no one has one made in Canada ??

hmmm
    11-08-11 03:22 PM
    i have a 9930 made in canada my 1st and only.has worked well from the beginning .i have had it a month.no problems.
    11-08-11 04:42 PM
    Jesus wept! Went for a third unit and it wont power on!!!!

The screen is displaying a white battery logo with a red cross through it and there is a spinning egg timer. I guess from googling the issue I have a defective battery.....sigh*

Amazon have offered a swift replacement but I just dont know if I can face the heartache. The annoying thing is the unit I have now has perfect keyboard, trackpad, flush buttons etc. Im wondering if I could get a replacement and swap out the batteries or are they coded / linked to the device they came with? Just thinking about warranty etc.
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 11-17-11 at 06:26 AM.
    11-17-11 05:43 AM
    Maybe u can try to charge the battery to full first. Then if it still won't boot up, try reloading the OS
    I feel you, I'm on my sixth 9900 right now, and even this one is not perfect ( trackpad that moves by itself) but I guess I'm too lazy to do the swap again.

11-17-11 09:55 AM
    The battery doesnt look like its charging, there is no indication that it is and Ive had it on the mains plug for a few hours now?

The first 2 units I received all had half full batteries so I find it hard to believe that the 3rd one is just flat.....?

I will look into "how to reinstall OS" later this evening, hopefully its not difficult.
    11-17-11 10:20 AM
    Charging battery has no effect.

Blackberry desktop software wants to update software buts fails.

A manual update to 7.0.0.503 also fails at "device initialization" stage

"Application loader was unable to connect with device. Please re-connect blah blah"

Oh well I tried. I have 1 more replacement coming tomorrow, fingers crossed.
    11-17-11 02:42 PM

Good luck to you.
    This 99xx have really Quality Control issues
    And yet we as customer who pays the money, have no "power" to complain to RIM about it.

11-17-11 02:54 PM
    Ok so here's where is ends.....

Received my replacement 9900 but its track pad was sunk and squeaky as ****, really bad. So I took the battery from the replacement and put it into the other non functioning 9900 with perfect case etc and it booted up no problems. I've put 503 on it and everything seems good so I've contacted O2 and switched to a Blackberry tariff.

Replacement 9900 is going back with the duff battery as the "faulty" unit as I see no ID on the batteries that links it with device and the receipts don't show IMEI numbers or anything so hopefully Amazon won't make a fuss.

So here it begins......I'm now a Blackberry user and the iPhone is consigned to a life of MP3 playing only in its dock. Now do I get rid of iPad 2 and get a Playbook....?

Finally
    11-19-11 08:32 AM
    Ive had two 9900's.

First from Voda store in Edinburgh, no issues at all, good build but got sent to insurance company for insurance claim
    Second was from the insurance company, unlocked, unbranded, refurbished I think but not an issue with it.

Now, im a picky sod, I was really OTT when I had the Torch 9800 and went through a few of them for bad build. But my bolds seem fine.

Must of been lucky.

Steve
    11-19-11 09:56 AM
    I still have my first 9900. Made in Mexico 4. No problems with the phone at all, nice level front keys all set perfectly. It did have a bad battery on arrival. I got the red X. Telus gave me a credit on my bill for a new battery I bought for it from here! It has really been perfect since. I have gone from .261 to .439 to .440 to .503 to .540 with no problems. Think I will stay at .540 until we see a 7.1. Battery life now is excellent BTW.

Love this phone!!!!
    11-19-11 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD