My first 9900 bricked the night I set it up and I returned it to the T-Mobile store the next day. Its replacement lasted a whole 40 days when that bricked...the dreaded JVM 517 code. My new one arrives today...after paying T-Mobile their usury $20 vig.

This really makes me wonder about both the hardware and software of the 9900. All units were made in Mexico. My previous BB's were all Canadian made. Thank god I kept my 9700...but boy, what a hassle.

Any other stories about bricked 9900's?
    10-19-11 01:39 PM
    Yeah same thign happened to my 9900. Left it charging, and now it wont turn on.

Only a blank screen + slow blinking (30 sec interval) red light.

I called the bastards at RIM support. They won't fix my phone cuz I bought it off eBay (I am ATT customer who bought a Rogers phone).

I HATE RIM
    mssca likes this.
    10-19-11 01:43 PM
    No phone manufacturers are going to offer you free warranty repair service if you bought a phone off ebay, so you hate all phone manufacturers.
    10-19-11 01:57 PM
    No phone manufacturers are going to offer you free warranty repair service if you bought a phone off ebay, so you hate all phone manufacturers.
    You beat me to it. If you buy used products of ebay then you have to live with no warranty coverage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 01:59 PM
    *****, Apple (RIMMS #1 COMPETITOR) will let you take your iPhone to the Genius Bar and swap it right then and there.
    10-19-11 02:08 PM
    *****, Apple (RIMMS #1 COMPETITOR) will let you take your iPhone to the Genius Bar and swap it right then and there.
    Android has more manufacturers and higher marketshare growth. None of those manufacturers will, nor do they have to.

So your point is moot. $10 says your phone isn't even really "bricked" and can be recovered, but I'm not gonna bother going down that road.

Also yeah... http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ttractive.html
    10-19-11 02:10 PM
    We have now rolled out over 140 Bold 9900s at my company. Of those 140, we have had zero defective units. After reading this thread, I got in touch with our Bell rep. He said they have put out over 1500 at his location, and other than one unit with a physically cracked screen from shipping. He has had zero defective units as well.

I dunno about all these users with a handful of posts making these threads every day claiming brand new devices are dead. This is probably some viral marketing stuff. RIM has excellent quality control, been dealing with them for years and have processed thousands of devices in that time. A dead on a arrival device in an undamaged box is something I haven't seen here.

This is all more than likely paid poster negative viral marketing stuff. I know I have actually gotten BBM messages from Apple telling me to switch over to them. They are being very aggressive with RIM as they fear BBX. Lots of paid posters on the net spreading nonsense about RIM these days.
    Swamp55 likes this.
    10-19-11 02:45 PM
    I'm CCNA certified. I think I know a thing or two about electronics, and I swear under the stars that this POS 9900 is BRICKED, just like the many other users on this fourm.

RIM needs to do a worldwide RECALL of the 9900
    10-19-11 02:46 PM
    A World Wide Recall? Sounds to me that your issue relates to 9900s made in Mexico (which I have heard can be an issue) - hardly World Wide... Not known a single UK user with the issues you seem to be having. Loving my 9900 and the only issue I ever get is signal related - but then that is at work and all Vodafone handsets struggle there.
    10-19-11 02:51 PM
    Well, I'll believe it when I see it.
    10-19-11 02:52 PM
    How 1 person gets 2 completely dead phones leads me to deduce the the commonality here is the person, not the device.
    10-19-11 02:58 PM
    No Digda, it's not the person, it's the device. As stated by another, I know my way around Blackberries, having every generation since 2002. I am also a techie who knows the Berry inside/out.

I love the 9900, but two units bricking in 40 days is a joke. And it's true about Apple standing behind their products, even if not purchased at a reseller or from an Apple Store. They replaced my in-warranty Touch no questions asked...and it was purchased on EBay.

What's even more insulting that when my first 9900 bricked the night of purchase, I called RIM, who wanted to charge me $49 just to say hello to a tech. Insulting. Call Apple tech sometime...they are wonderful.

If Apple ever came out with an iPhone with a portrait keyboard, RIM would be dead within two months. After my experience, I wouldn't be saddened by that.
    10-19-11 03:20 PM
    It's always the same thing...Talk trash about RIM, then shift over to say how good Apple is. It's never android or nokia or Motorola etc, it's always apple.

I guess Apple is the one paying the online viral marketing teams.

I don't blame them, I'd fear BBX as well. :P
    10-19-11 03:25 PM
    10-19-11 03:29 PM
    Why would apple pay those "viral marketing teams?"
    Don't you know despite all of the rumours, etc
    The iphone 4s launch is the most succesfull ever ?

I'm an apple fan boy myself
    And I've been using their product from a long time ago
    And I've always happy about their product and services.

And I'm also a loyal Blackberry users since about 3 years ago
    But I may stop being their fan, cause this 9900 build quality is soo damn lausy
    For those who claim 9900 / RIM have the best build quality phones, I guess you never hold
    An iPhone or even a Nokia Communicator.
    That's both is for me the best quality phones ever made.

I also made another thread bout this 9900 build quality and software issues
    "Letter To RIM"
    Maybe you guys should check it out and see that's lots of other people complaining bout their Bold as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    tjioer likes this.
    10-19-11 04:48 PM
    I'm CCNA certified. I think I know a thing or two about electronics, and I swear under the stars that this POS 9900 is BRICKED, just like the many other users on this fourm.

RIM needs to do a worldwide RECALL of the 9900
    I'm a NASA astronaut and know a thing or two about space exploration and aliens. Blackberry OS handling and cisco network switches pretty much have nothing to do with each other (aka one isn't assumed true because of the other).
    10-19-11 04:55 PM
    Why would apple pay those "viral marketing teams?"
    Because that is how it is done these days. I have lots of experience in this area, all major companies are using these sorts of psychological manipulation tactics online. Because it works. You just create multiple screen names on popular message boards like this one, then use those multiple screen names to subtly talk trash about your competition. And when the unassuming public read it enough times, they start to believe it.

It's all about planting the seeds of doubt in people's minds using repetition. It's a very effective marketing tool. Kids doing this type of work usually make between 3 and 16 cents per post to spread official talking points on message boards like this. I have one staffer here who worked for GE doing this sort of work for the US government, he was pulling down over 60k a year sitting at a keyboard talking **** to anyone who questioned the war in Iraq. It's a good way to make cash.

But back down here in reality, I haven't met nor heard of a single person with a DOA bold 9900/9930.
    10-19-11 05:23 PM
    My first 9900 bricked the night I set it up and I returned it to the T-Mobile store the next day. Its replacement lasted a whole 40 days when that bricked...the dreaded JVM 517 code. My new one arrives today...after paying T-Mobile their usury $20 vig.

This really makes me wonder about both the hardware and software of the 9900. All units were made in Mexico. My previous BB's were all Canadian made. Thank god I kept my 9700...but boy, what a hassle.

Any other stories about bricked 9900's?
    Yeah same thign happened to my 9900. Left it charging, and now it wont turn on.

Only a blank screen + slow blinking (30 sec interval) red light.

I called the bastards at RIM support. They won't fix my phone cuz I bought it off eBay (I am ATT customer who bought a Rogers phone).

I HATE RIM
    Yes this is a problem with the 9900 and part of the reason why AT&T held off on rushing to release it.
    10-19-11 05:33 PM
    So you're basically saying the AT&T 9900 won't have any such issue...
    10-19-11 05:50 PM
    Man I am pretty tired of people thinking my mommy gave me this phone, that I have never seen nor touched any other phone on the planet earth and that my browser only shows bb news and ads. I've actually TOUCHED and USED and EXPERIENCED a lot of other phones, I don't live in a bb bubble. I bought this phone becuase I LIKE IT. It does exactly what I want. If I WANTED an iphone, I would have BOUGHT one, with my OWN GROWN UP MONEY. Not sure why we can't just all have different phones.

Thank you. I am not a paid representitive. I do take donations though.
    whyamisoepic likes this.
    10-19-11 05:53 PM
    Actually, you guys are WRONG! The Apple Canada offer over counter exchange for ANY iPhone under one year regardless where you got it. You just have to register with an Apple store or buy Apple care warranty on it. But at least, they have that service.
    10-19-11 05:59 PM
    Actually, you guys are WRONG! The Apple Canada offer over counter exchange for ANY iPhone under one year regardless where you got it. You just have to register with an Apple store or buy Apple care warranty on it. But at least, they have that service.
    I don't assume that the policies of every single region and every single manufacturer are the exact same.

That said, the Apple policies in the US are already changing to increase revenue from the new care plans and the Android manufacturer warranties remain the same. ALL warranties are non transferrable unless explicitly stated so (which is rare in the US)
    mssca likes this.
    10-19-11 06:09 PM
    We have now rolled out over 140 Bold 9900s at my company. Of those 140, we have had zero defective units. After reading this thread, I got in touch with our Bell rep. He said they have put out over 1500 at his location, and other than one unit with a physically cracked screen from shipping. He has had zero defective units as well.

I dunno about all these users with a handful of posts making these threads every day claiming brand new devices are dead. This is probably some viral marketing stuff. RIM has excellent quality control, been dealing with them for years and have processed thousands of devices in that time. A dead on a arrival device in an undamaged box is something I haven't seen here.

This is all more than likely paid poster negative viral marketing stuff. I know I have actually gotten BBM messages from Apple telling me to switch over to them. They are being very aggressive with RIM as they fear BBX. Lots of paid posters on the net spreading nonsense about RIM these days.
    Excellent quality control??? Tell that to the thousands of 9780 users who went through multiple phones because of the shoddy, defective, double-inputting keyboards on the phones coming from the MEXICO plant....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-573434/

You can find similar threads on RIM's forums and any other Blackberry associated sites.... My account was banned on RIM's forums because apparently I complained too much about their lack of even addressing the issue.... A T-Mobile employee eventually posted on that thread I linked you to above, stating that RIM send out a Service Bulletin to T-Mobile indicating any phones manufactured before 3/1/11, could exhibit the keyboard defects, of which there is no known fix for.... IIRC, the 9780 came out in November of 2010... Took them 5 months of manufacturing and shipping 9780's with shoddy keyboards before they were able to address the matter? That's crappy quality control. Most of us realized our phones were double inputting from the get-go.... Either they have idiots testing their phones or they knew about the issue and it was not cost-effective to do right by their Customers by yanking the phones out of production and manufacturing ones that do not exhibit the defect.

Didn't RIM also have a free trackball replacement program through various carriers that sell their phones? Would seem to me if they had excellent quality control, the trackballs would not need to be replaced on their phones because the problems would not surface....

I can't think of a single product line in which the quality control would not suffer when you shift production to a country like MEXICO.... Maybe sombreros.
    Last edited by wolfgaze; 10-19-11 at 06:42 PM.
    10-19-11 06:30 PM
    I've got my first bricked 9930 I'm prepping for return right now. The user put it on the charger after draining it and it never wanted to work properly after that. I can't get it to connect to back it up or even to wipe it. The controls don't want to work except the lock button and occasionally the trackpad. The graphics are weird, hardly any color. Tried DM and several 3rd party tools but couldn't get into it.

I called VZW last night and the replacement came this morning. Just like with the 5 iPhones with bad batteries that we've had to replace. That's what warranties are for, to catch the things that slip through in mass production.
    10-19-11 06:52 PM
    Didn't RIM also have a free trackball replacement program through various carriers that sell their phones? Would seem to me if they had excellent quality control, the trackballs would not need to be replaced on their phones because the problems would not surface....
    No phone manufacturers make stick-free trackballs... The nature of the design of trackballs is that eventually they will fail. It's simply a matter of when.
    10-19-11 06:53 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD