New to BB please help. Coming from a droid x to a 9930. I know some of you are die hards but I am pretty disappointed so far. Anyway, is there a turn by turn app for the 9930 ? I downloaded lifeinpocket but it can't find any satellites. 9930 is listed in the compatible devices but it doesn't work. I know the gps is working because I can find my location on bing and bb maps. Is there a turn by turn feature on any of these that I am missing ? This is pretty frustrating since this is one of the features I use alot on my smartphones. Thanks in advance.
    08-19-11 08:21 AM
    You might try Waze! It's not Great cause the Maps are Generated by their Users. But it has Turn by Turn navigation =).
    08-19-11 08:25 AM
    Gee, I hope there are more options than one app that "isn't great"...
    rafman1992 likes this.
    08-19-11 08:30 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you- had a Moto Droid and went to a 9930 (my PlayBook made me want to try a BB phone).

BlackBerry Traffic is turn by turn *without* a map. I think this is the best option right now.

Waze did work, but it's not the same type of "turn by turn" as Google Nav- I also don't trust it. ALL other nav apps did not work on my 9930.

I wish there was a way to get Google Navigation on this phone, the way you could pull an address from the browser or email apps and route to it was incredible and seamless. I hope BB or Bing can figure out a way to match this before users migrate to Android for this fantastic selling point.
    Last edited by wmonger; 08-19-11 at 09:36 AM. Reason: update
    08-19-11 09:31 AM
    it will take some time for apps to be updated to work with the 99xx series... itd be kinda like how when the iphone 3gs then to the iphone 4 with the higher res screen it took time for the devs to get the apps updated to work with the iphone4
    08-19-11 09:47 AM
    Gee, I hope there are more options than one app that "isn't great"...
    LOL

Developers don't want to develop for RIM products.

Look at the top 20 in AppWorld.

Good stuff eh?

tino72#CB likes this.
    08-19-11 09:48 AM
    TeleNav came pre loaded on my 9900
    08-19-11 10:59 AM
    there is a turn by turn wisepilot navigation application.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 11:11 AM
    LOL

Developers don't want to develop for RIM products.

Look at the top 20 in AppWorld.

Good stuff eh?

Developing for the BB is incredibly easy, but if developers don't think they can make money out of developing, then they won't.

From my understanding, there is a $0 fee for submitting apps to the app world.
    08-19-11 11:18 AM
    Developers don't want to develop for RIM products
    No, that is flat out wrong. There are 50 million BlackBerry devices out there. They WANT to develop and they WANT that revenue. The cold hard fact is that RIM has the most developer un-friendly platform in existence. It's immensely complicated to develop for a BlackBerry. The tools RIM gives are crap. The access to API's they give are crap. The platform is the absolute worst.

Not the want by people for apps and not the want by developers to make them. Trust me, developers want to put an app out there that can work on all 50 million BlackBerry devices and charge $1.99 for it. You have no idea. The problem is that's it's downright impossible.

Some of this is RIM's fault and some is inherent in their devices (e.g., the extra security layers make developing much more complex). Then there's the OS4 and OS5 and OS6 and OS7 incompatibility. Devices with WiFi and ones without. Devices with GPS and ones without. Nine completely separate and different screen resolutions.

All of this together is the problem.

My bank (USAA, on of the largest in the country) has flat out said they tried, AND FAILED, to create a BlackBerry mobile banking app that allows you to take pictures of checks and deposit them via your phone (like they have for WP7, Android, and iOS). After pouring a few million into development, they literally gave up and said it was not possible.

That's the REAL reason we don't have good apps. The WANT is there. The TOOLS, PLATFORM, and COMPLEXITY make it next to impossible to fulfill the WANT.
    Last edited by mpscan; 08-19-11 at 11:36 AM.
    austriker and smartbuddy like this.
    08-19-11 11:19 AM
    Telmap beta is free and works great. I don't think it works on cdma carriers though

08-19-11 11:20 AM
    I've always used a stand alone GPS unit. I know there's the obvious extra cost involved though.
    08-19-11 11:27 AM
    I don't know if it works on the 9930 but I use LifeInPocket on my 9700. It is free and has turn by turn navigation with voice as well as:

"GPS, navigation, actionable location messaging, friends/family locator, local listing/reviews, satellite map, street view, cheap gas finder, news, video, traffic, Twitter, emails, IMs, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, YouTube, music, movies, local events, TV guide, weather, finance, banking, sports, flights, magazines, fashion, cooking, transportation, travel, yellow/white pages, dictionary, translation, Bible and a whole host of real-time information and services."
    08-19-11 11:36 AM
    Thanks for the help. What I meant was voice guided gps. For example, "turn left in 100 ft." I cannot believe this has not been included. Day one on my droid I downloaded several free voice guided gps apps. That phone was gigantic and I hate virtual keyboards. I read all the hype on this forum about the 9930 and I love the form factor but to leave out a detail like this on a smartphone is crazy.
    08-19-11 01:53 PM
    Again if you're on GSM just sign up for the Telmap beta, you have to specify UK as your location on the sign up

08-19-11 02:03 PM
    Having a nav gps baked into the os is a huge plus. About only thing I miss about android.
    wmonger and Chrisy like this.
    08-19-11 03:57 PM
    Telmap beta is free and works great. I don't think it works on cdma carriers though

When I used a BlackBerry this is the app I used. It was great for a BlackBerry application. I even won a $50 Amazon credit for being in the top 5 beta testers in a contest they ran.
    08-19-11 04:06 PM
    Again if you're on GSM just sign up for the Telmap beta, you have to specify UK as your location on the sign up

Does it work in Canada?
    08-19-11 04:10 PM
    TeleNav came pre loaded on my 9900
    Does it work? TeleNav told me on Twitter they don't support the 9900/9930 yet. That was a few days ago.
    08-19-11 04:13 PM
    Anyone try to install the Garmin app? I've emailed them to see if they can support OS7
    08-19-11 04:35 PM
    Anyone try to install the Garmin app? I've emailed them to see if they can support OS7
    I saw in the app forum a guy say he tried but it didn't work. I've used it since day one on my Storm 1 & 2. Absolutly loved it! Hope they mod it for the 9930!
    08-19-11 06:52 PM
    Does it work in Canada?
    Dunno I can't really test it. I would imagine it does though

08-19-11 06:56 PM
    That is one thing I've never had to worry about with Sprint (we have other worries though) Every smartphone comes with Sprint Navigation and it works like a charm.
    08-19-11 07:28 PM
    That is one thing I've never had to worry about with Sprint (we have other worries though) Every smartphone comes with Sprint Navigation and it works like a charm.
    Verizon provides Verizon Navigator asvwell, but it's a subscription based app. I just noticed you can pay for a day, week or month, so I'll have it loaded and ready in case I need it.
    08-19-11 08:30 PM
    They have it for Tmobile which I believe is their version 6. Seems like it should be a no brainer to have it for the 9330. Its listed on their site

http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/d...tmobile.html#8

But when you go to see if you can download it I don't see the 9900 listed.

http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tm

What did people load to try this.
    Last edited by Stinsonddog; 09-28-11 at 11:06 AM.
    09-28-11 10:57 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD