Well, I usually don't power down my 9930 (usually have it in bedside mode while charging at night, and in the movies its on vibrate or silent haha).

But when I hold down the power key, I get an option to 'turn off' the device or do a 'full power off'

I'm assuming turn off is just to turn the device off like normal, but does full power off actually shut it of completely (like when doing a battery pull or a reboot without having the phone come back on after you shut it down)? Will the phone begin a reboot cycle when you next turn it on?

How does it work?
    08-23-11 04:10 AM
    I've got a 9900 and don't get any options like that holding the red button or using the power off icon
    08-23-11 04:41 AM
    I have 9900 and have both options, not quite sure what the difference is like SaMaster14
    08-23-11 05:08 AM
    I do not see a reason to turn it off. SIlence it maybe but my 9900 and all of my past RIM devices run 24/7
    08-23-11 06:28 AM
    Usually, full power off occurs when you don't have any alarms pending...

If you have auto on/auto off set, or if you have a sleep alarm set to wake you - and you press and hold the power button, you'll get a power down vs. full power off message. Full power off will power off the unit and NOT allow it to wake up based on one of the above (or similar) events.

It is NOT like rebooting the device at all. Reboot is done by either a battery removal/reinsertion, or a "Ctl-Alt-Delete".
    SaMaster14, Big_Ern and Zanim like this.
    08-23-11 08:43 AM
    The BlackBerry has two power-management modes:

• If you use the Power button, or click Turn Power Off on the Home screen and select Turn Off, your BlackBerry will turn itself on again when the alarm activates it or when it is set to turn on automatically.
    • If you select Turn Power Off on the Home screen, then select Full Power Off, your BlackBerry will not turn on again until you press the Power button.

So if you use "Turn Power Off" and you set an alarm to get to work in the morning, you will be late
    09-18-11 10:59 PM
    Blackberry phones have "OFF" switches?
    09-18-11 11:05 PM
    You have the same options whether using the power button, or the power button icon on the home screen.

Both will offer a full power off or a simple "turn off", if either the auto-on feature has been enabled, or there are pending alarms. I'm not sure if I read that in what you wrote, but this is what I see on the 9900 and older units I've owned.
    09-18-11 11:09 PM
    Blackberry phones have "OFF" switches?
    Only if you're abnormal. Mine doesn't.
    09-18-11 11:10 PM
    The BlackBerry has two power-management modes:

• If you use the Power button, or click Turn Power Off on the Home screen and select Turn Off, your BlackBerry will turn itself on again when the alarm activates it or when it is set to turn on automatically.
    • If you select Turn Power Off on the Home screen, then select Full Power Off, your BlackBerry will not turn on again until you press the Power button.

So if you use "Turn Power Off" and you set an alarm to get to work in the morning, you will be late
    Should restarting from full power off involve more than pressing the power button? I tried the "Full Power Off" option for the first time the night before just to see what would happen. The next morning what happened was the fear that the phone wouldn't restart, and didn't until I tried connecting the phone to a wall charger with the battery pulled and inserting the battery while the phone was still connected to the wall charger. Can this be normal? Is doing either one even necessary other than maybe to preserve battery?

This comes on the first morning with a replacement device for a 9930 that bricked last week. Something tells me to avoid getting too attached to the replacement device. And run device back ups nightly.
    10-26-11 12:36 AM
    That is NOT the normal behavior at all. Whether it's a full power down or a partial power off, a simple press of the red end button should have powered it back up right away. Since you have this issue, yes, run back up's frequently. Now, do you have 3rd party apps installed and if so, which ones? It could be one of them causing the issue. Before you power off next time, make 100% sure you only have the following 5 apps running, the ones you CAN'T actually stop.

Home
    Browser
    BBM

Anything else, close it up. If that doesn't help you, you've got deeper issues on the device, like maybe a corrupted OS, which would require you to perform a full device wipe and reload.

In case you don't know how to see which apps are running - hold down the "Menu" button for 1 second from any screen - that will bring all open /running apps up on screen through the task switcher.
    FOIA Gras likes this.
    10-26-11 01:00 AM
    That is NOT the normal behavior at all. Whether it's a full power down or a partial power off, a simple press of the red end button should have powered it back up right away. Since you have this issue, yes, run back up's frequently. Now, do you have 3rd party apps installed and if so, which ones? It could be one of them causing the issue. Before you power off next time, make 100% sure you only have the following 5 apps running, the ones you CAN'T actually stop.

Home
    Browser
    BBM

Anything else, close it up. If that doesn't help you, you've got deeper issues on the device, like maybe a corrupted OS, which would require you to perform a full device wipe and reload.

In case you don't know how to see which apps are running - hold down the "Menu" button for 1 second from any screen - that will bring all open /running apps up on screen through the task switcher.
    Thanx for the speedy reply and confirming that this is not normal operation. This condition was the phone straight out of the box. The only thing that I had done to it by that point was to restore data from the old device via Blackberry Protect. I haven't even restored mailboxes to it yet.

Here's one more observation I forgot (never fails) to report originally: after the full power shut off there was a faint red LED glow visible through the track pad, noticeable only in the dark. The battery was fully charged at the time of full power off but was at only 75% when I finally got it restarted. Like I said, not growing attached to this device.

I hope Blackberry gets a grip on these issues soon, remain untempted to switching to an alternative platform smart phone.
    10-26-11 01:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD