I followed ELITE1's Quick OS6 UPGRADE GUIDE but when I get to step 10 and click the loader file, nothing happens.

Has this happened to anyone??? Please help. Have tried 5 times and still nothing.

Thanks,

ELITE1's Quick OS6 UPGRADE GUIDE
    1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, the browser is irrelevant though.)
    *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
    64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or Shrink-A-OS/BBH+ Tool.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.
    11. After OS install is complete, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is installed.

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    11-16-11 06:37 PM
    which device do you have. Your profile shows a 9700 bold which will not work.
    11-16-11 07:01 PM
    I have the BOLD 9900 on TMOBILE.

I haven't updated my profile.
    11-16-11 07:08 PM
    I have the BOLD 9900 on TMOBILE.

I haven't updated my profile.
    I could have sworn that I saw 9700 also and was going to direct you to that forum so if you do have the 9900 and you are talking about OS 6 that you have to know that the 9900 is an OS 7 device so what are you trying to DL .503 and where did you get it?

Did it come through on your DM or an OTA notification on your device and who is your carrier? You might have something confused.

PS I know the Sicky says .503 is official for Austria1 and that is why I asked about carriers and am presuming you have deleted any and all vendor files before you have tried this update?
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 11-16-11 at 07:19 PM.
    11-16-11 07:15 PM
    So you downloaded the new OS, installed & removed the vendor file. Plugged the phone to your computer (make sure its recognized) Then double click the loader to install.
    11-16-11 07:20 PM
    I could have sworn that I saw 9700 also and was going to direct you to that forum so if you do have the 9900 and you are talking about OS 6 that you have to know that the 9900 is an OS 7 device so what are you trying to DL .503 and where did you get it?

Did it come through on your DM or an OTA notification on your device and who is your carrier? You might have something confused.

I'm not talking about OS 6. That's just what Elite1's instructions were on the last page of the OS .503 thread located on the main page of the 9900 forum. I assume the same steps work for uploading OS 7, right? If not, please show me how to do it right.

I did have "bold 9700" on my profile 10 minutes ago but I changed it. I just bought the Bold 9900 from TMOBILE and am trying to install the new OS .503 because my battery life sucks!

My carrier is T-Mobile. T-mobile isn't gonna come up with a new OS until February I hear, although they said it'd be here this month.

I just want to experience this great OS everyone is raving about.
    Last edited by doowopmario; 11-16-11 at 07:27 PM.
    11-16-11 07:23 PM
    No your not seeing things, He updated his profile to show the new 9900 bold.
    11-16-11 07:24 PM
    So you downloaded the new OS, installed & removed the vendor file. Plugged the phone to your computer (make sure its recognized) Then double click the loader to install.
    yes, all that and when i click the loader nothing happens.
    11-16-11 07:24 PM
    I do notice that when I do click the loader file, i get two new files in that folder:
    Loader_CRASH.DMP
    Loader_ERRORLOG

Did that happen to you guys when you clicked?
    11-16-11 07:25 PM
    Try using the DM, See if it shows the new OS, Also some have said that there are Two Vendor file that need to be deleted.Not sure were that other is.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 11-16-11 at 07:32 PM.
    11-16-11 07:29 PM
    Try using the DM, See if it shows the new OS,.
    Lemme try that. Thanks
    11-16-11 07:31 PM
    Looks like some else had the same issue as you.

I have used 3 operating systems on my 9900 so far. Those 3 OS's required 4 installs because I had a failed install on .474. The first time I tried to install .474 I used Apploader and got the error. The second time I used DM and it went smooth as silk.

From now on I will be using DM for all my installs.

DM will work fine as long as your vendor.xml file(s) has been deleted.

11-16-11 07:41 PM
    Try using the DM, See if it shows the new OS, Also some have said that there are Two Vendor file that need to be deleted.Not sure were that other is.
    His DM is not going to show .503 because as stated above in the sticky unless it has not been updated...only one carrier has this OS so if he does not have this carrier he is going to have to go through the other way. There are sometimes to vendor.xml files in on some computers, one in the normal folder and one elsewhere so you might have to do a search for "Vendor" to find them both and also one last thing, You have to go into add/remove programs and delete your old OS as well. Failure to do any of these will not let you load the new OS.
    11-16-11 07:48 PM
    Well I installed DM and it was beginning to install the new OS but then it got stuck in "connecting to boot rom" and never continued. I was there for 20 minutes and nothing. Now my phone is nuked? It won't start up.
    So now what.

UPDATE:

So my phone started up again and I'm trying to repeat the process, but just to be on the safe side, i went ahead and uninstalled DM and re-installed it. By the laws of Murphy, I have a feeling it will get stuck at the same spot. What can I do to make it work?
    Last edited by doowopmario; 11-16-11 at 08:54 PM.
    11-16-11 08:33 PM
    Well I installed DM and it was beginning to install the new OS but then it got stuck in "connecting to boot rom" and never continued. I was there for 20 minutes and nothing. Now my phone is nuked? It won't start up.
    So now what.

UPDATE:

So my phone started up again and I'm trying to repeat the process, but just to be on the safe side, i went ahead and uninstalled DM and re-installed it. By the laws of Murphy, I have a feeling it will get stuck at the same spot. What can I do to make it work?
    Just for kicks try right-clicking on Loader.exe, and select "Run as Administrator". DM does this by default and by extension will run apploader at the same priviledge level. When you launch loader.exe separately you'll need to set it manually.

If you want loader.exe to always launch with admin priviledges, right-click, go to the Compatibility tab, go down towards the bottom and check "always run as admin". Apply, OK, enjoy.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 11-16-11 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typing with a cast = many errors
    11-16-11 09:08 PM
    Just for kicks try right-clicking on Loader.exe, and select "Run as Administrator". DM does this by default and by extension will run apploader at the same priviledge level. When you launch loader.exe separately you'll need to set it maually.

If you want loader.exe to always laumch with admin priviledges, right-click, go to the Compatibility tab, go down towards the bottom and check "always run as admin". Apply, OK, enjoy.
    Ok, i'll try that. Hopefully this will keep it from getting stuck on "connecting to device ROM"
    11-16-11 09:17 PM
    No dice. It's stuck on Connecting to Device ROM again.
    11-16-11 09:30 PM
    No dice. It's stuck on Connecting to Device ROM again.
    If you haven't already, give your PC a reboot. You can leave your BB plugged in. If that doesn't work, unplug your device do a battery pull, reconnect and try again. You can opt to leave the battery out and connect or let it start up before reconnecting it.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 11-17-11 at 12:36 AM.
    11-16-11 10:12 PM
    Occurs to me there may be something else to try: I had to exit out of the BlackBerry Device Manager icon (this one -> ) in my system tray before I could successfully use DM or apploader. May not be the answer but it worked in my case.
    11-17-11 12:40 AM
    If you haven't already, give your PC a reboot. You can leave your BB plugged in. If that doesn't work, unplug your device do a battery pull, reconnect and try again. You can opt to leave the battery out and connect or let it start up before reconnecting it.
    Nah, nothing worked. I even tried security wiping the phone and i got zilch results. I've tried all day today. One thing for sure, it made my day at work go by faster.

Still I'd like to try to install this dang update but it won't let me get past the "Boot to device rom" level. I googled and there were numerous other posts regarding the same issue and none have been able to offer the solution.
    11-17-11 07:57 PM
    I sure hope that you fix your issues. I don't want to be a jack *** by asking this, but did you uninstall ALL the Blackberry and RIM related software and install them after a restart of your computer?

If all fails, try BBSAK and wipe the whole device and reinstall the OS. BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

Keep us updated on your situation. This may help some of us down the road. Also, is your phone made in Mexico 4/5?
    11-17-11 09:10 PM
    11-17-11 09:41 PM
    I sure hope that you fix your issues. I don't want to be a jack *** by asking this, but did you uninstall ALL the Blackberry and RIM related software and install them after a restart of your computer?

If all fails, try BBSAK and wipe the whole device and reinstall the OS. BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

Keep us updated on your situation. This may help some of us down the road. Also, is your phone made in Mexico 4/5?
    I went ahead and wiped the phone using BBSAK the first time around and when it came time to install the new OS, it said I didn't have one installed on my computer. The strange this is that I did have it installed, it just didn't recognize it. So I installed the OS and once I did, BBSAK didn't recognize my device anymore. To this day, neither DM or BBSAK can recognize my device.

There are many threads about "device not being recognized" but none have been able to fix my problem.

I am now un-installing BBSAK and DM and reinstalling to see if that makes it recognize my phone.
    Last edited by doowopmario; 11-23-11 at 12:13 PM.
    11-23-11 11:02 AM
    Solved the problem by using a friend's computer. Took forever in her old machine, but it worked!
    Last edited by doowopmario; 11-24-11 at 03:28 AM.
    11-23-11 04:48 PM
    By the way, on my friends computer, she was running Vista. I was running a beta version of Windows 8 via Parallels for Mac.

I updated the OS by deleting the vendor file and then using the App Loader. I did not use BBSAK because it didn't recognize my device, but thankfully AppLoader did.
    Last edited by doowopmario; 11-24-11 at 03:32 AM.
    11-23-11 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD