I have been using an F-S1 gold battery in my blackberry torch 9800 and I have noticed it makes a different but not as much. It has reached full charge cycles and I measured the originial OEM and it reaches 3.7V but the gold E-CELL only measures 4V. Not much of an improvment as the 2430mah claimed
    07-05-12 08:38 AM
    Why am I unsurprised at this news?

The technology and chemistry of batteries has been studied and improved by universities, research labs and manufacturers for years. What you buy in a quality phone like a BlackBerry is probably as good as you can get in that physical size.

Like many things battery design is a compromise and BlackBerry will have opted for reliability and safety over any other considerations, I am sure. Remember the iPhones and IPods that have caught fire. BlackBerrys do not do that.

A phone battery is measured in mAH (milli (1000ths) Amp Hours) so your 2340maH battery should supply 1mA (1 x 1/1000 AMPs) for 2340 hours. this number may be multiplied up within reason. the same battery might just about supply 100 x 1/100 AMPsfor 2.34 hours. Above that internal heat would probably cause it to fail. Would this battery really deliver around twice the power of the original VBlackBerry device? I doubt it. The number of 2340 was probably defined undeer laboratory conditions involving very careful temperatue control and a very low discharge rate - far lower than your phone requires. Thi sis the only way they could have achieved such a number with a battery if this size.

You simply cannot get a quart of power into a pint sized battery.

Your measurement of 4Volts vs 3.7 volts just means that when fully charged it was just brimming with power. I would expect that number to fall rapidly to around 3.6 - 3.8 Volts in use.

Batteries are like anything else. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    07-05-12 09:00 AM
    I have been using an F-S1 gold battery in my blackberry torch 9800 and I have noticed it makes a different but not as much. It has reached full charge cycles and I measured the originial OEM and it reaches 3.7V but the gold E-CELL only measures 4V. Not much of an improvment as the 2430mah claimed
    The voltage does not have much to do with it. What counts is the real mAh rating and 3rd party battery makers are famous about over rating their batteries. No way to get more power in a battery that is the same size, using the same chemistry.
    07-05-12 10:14 AM
    I have one in my 9900, I don't know too much of the details about the electrical specs, but one thing I do know is that I don't charge my battery as I often as I used to, the difference is not massive, but significantly makes life easier. As a very heavy user I can get close to a day now with the gold battery, if I use 3G bridge browsing maybe less than a day, but the thing is with the original battery, 3G bridge browsing gets me down to red in a 2-3 hours, completely ridiculous.

I have found also that when the network is dodgy the battery drains immensely quickly and our networks are always dodgy. Every time i'm in the mission field where base stations are scarce, battery drains very rapidly, but still better with the gold battery. I reckon everyone would probably have different results depending on how stable their networks are, I understand the phone uses a lot of power when having to search all the time for a signal.
    Kezghan likes this.
    07-05-12 10:25 AM
    I have one in my 9900, I don't know too much of the details about the electrical specs, but one thing I do know is that I don't charge my battery as I often as I used to, the difference is not massive, but significantly makes life easier. As a very heavy user I can get close to a day now with the gold battery, if I use 3G bridge browsing maybe less than a day, but the thing is with the original battery, 3G bridge browsing gets me down to red in a 2-3 hours, completely ridiculous.

I have found also that when the network is dodgy the battery drains immensely quickly and our networks are always dodgy. Every time i'm in the mission field where base stations are scarce, battery drains very rapidly, but still better with the gold battery. I reckon everyone would probably have different results depending on how stable their networks are, I understand the phone uses a lot of power when having to search all the time for a signal.
    07-05-12 10:25 AM
    Double post. I still haven't tested the gold battery in engineer screen which is my next step. I can say I do achieve about 1-2 hours extra from my gold battery if its on standby. I was told the battery is meant to achieve 60 hours on stanby but I'm not prepared to test that :P
    07-06-12 09:58 AM
    I agree with Pete6. I have had the gold battery for months now and use it alternately with the original. Any difference is marginal. I know that RIM were concerned with early reports of poor battery life in the 9900, and if they could have sourced a longer lasting battery they would have done so. As it is they have largely resolved the problem via better OS performance.
    07-06-12 10:18 AM
    And what are ur results, TrespassersW?
    07-06-12 10:44 AM
    No 'results' as such but my conclusion is that the gold battery is no better than the original.
    07-06-12 10:47 AM
    I've been using the gold battery for a couple months now. Before, I'd have to swap out my OEM battery with a spare maybe a couple times a week, but ever since I got the "extended" battery, I've not had to use my spare ever since, not once. Now, this might have to do with newer OS builds, so this is completely anecdotal.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that the gold battery is actually a little bit thicker (maybe 20% thicker) than the OEM. The battery door is very snug, indeed. Luckily I have a case, otherwise it may pop off.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.
    07-06-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD