Ive had a 9700 for the last 2.5 years, tired phone but served me well, multiple drops, etc, thought i had a bright idea and went to iphone 4s, to say the least im going back to a bb. My wife now has a shiny 4s. ( her birthday on top of it). I went to my local store today and the guys there were pretty much refusing to sell me the 9900. No joke, they said one in fivemis good, the rest have crappy battery, erases contacts, etc, they were bent on the 9790? Anyone share some insight to this, i really like the size of the 9900, and either way ill just upgrade to bb10 and suitable phone when it comes out. Thanks in advance.
    05-07-12 11:23 PM
    Look around here and see how many people use them.
    9900 had a rocky start because of a bricking issue but that has been addressed with new os updates.
    Batteries have been addressed with the newer 7.1 os as well.

The phone is awesome. Give it a whirl and you have 30 days to bring it back. What's the harm!?

Have had mine for 5 months now and not 1 issue. Have 7 friends with them and not 1 issue either so 0 out of 8 here with no problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-07-12 11:26 PM
    I had one and never had an issue - nice phone. Pick one up on CraigsList to use until November, then Rock and Roll it.
    05-07-12 11:31 PM
    Bought mine on 14 sept 2011, first unit and no issue's so far. All working fine.
    Got some friends that also does have 9900's and all are good to go!
    One had an issue with the keyboard being a touch, returned for warranty and all is fine now.
    05-07-12 11:36 PM
    I upgraded from the 9700 to the 9900 and i have been in like love ever since. It truly is the best Blackberry ever created, I highly recommend it.
    That being said you will notice the battery life is not the same as your 9700. My 9700 was almost 2.5 years old with the same battery from day one and lasted about a day and a half with moderate to heavy use. My 9900 lasts a full day or a little less with the same use. It is understandable of course seeing as the 9900 is much more powerful and for that reason i will never complain. I love my 9900 and the only thing that makes it feel dated and old is the BB10 previews lol. Damn i want one sooooo badly.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-07-12 11:41 PM
    I have a couple of friends using the 9900 and they love it. I dont get it, i do sales and know the best unit is the one in stock or the one you make most money on, thats why i posted here. We have a corporate with roger as we have high usage, they up grade me every 18 to 24 months. I really like the 9900 size. The reason i dont like my iphone, no holster, i like a bear phone, no bumper, massive armadillo box, im just not use to the weight and carrying my phone in my hand, it drives me nuts! I do my living in jeans and a t shirt. Battery life sucks! I shouldnt have to buy a battery pack to last the day, im a heavy user for both phone and email. My phone is a tool, not a toy. And what drives me insane is email!!!! Takes forever, i want to go back and kill every person that told me email on an iphone is fast, liars!! Delayed emails can mean $$$ out of my pocket!
    Last edited by flavio5x; 05-07-12 at 11:50 PM.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-07-12 11:42 PM
    The 9790 looks like a great little phone I want one but I'm holding off till Bb10
    05-08-12 12:32 AM
    I upgraded from the 9700 to the 9900 and i have been in like love ever since. It truly is the best Blackberry ever created, I highly recommend it.
    That being said you will notice the battery life is not the same as your 9700. My 9700 was almost 2.5 years old with the same battery from day one and lasted about a day and a half with moderate to heavy use. My 9900 lasts a full day or a little less with the same use. It is understandable of course seeing as the 9900 is much more powerful and for that reason i will never complain. I love my 9900 and the only thing that makes it feel dated and old is the BB10 previews lol. Damn i want one sooooo badly.
    The 9900 is a beautiful phone. Every bit as well-designed as the iPhone.

I think it suffers from a perception problem: the notion that Blackberrys are "stuffy" and for business people. Also, if a person had one for work from a few years back that may be their frame of reference.

Maybe, the best RIM ad is somebody pulling a 9900 out at a bus stop, and people around her saying "really? You have one of THOSE?!", and then she calmly and cheerfully shows them a few new features and impresses the crap out of them. It's a scenario that's played out in real life four or five times for me.
    05-08-12 12:55 AM
    I love my 9900. Phone function, typing function, it is beautiful. Web surfing, video watching just fine. Loved my 9700, and 9780 too. I bricked two android Samsung S Vibrant =D ... I have always used the 7.1 leaked upgrades and solved memory leaks and battery life easily.

I am no longer a first time adopter anymore, I would wait at least half a year after the bb10 release to buy one. After they work out all the bugs in the new OS. New OS, new hardware, hug risk on a 3 year contract.
    05-08-12 01:46 AM
    The 9900 is a beautiful phone. Every bit as well-designed as the iPhone.

I think it suffers from a perception problem: the notion that Blackberrys are "stuffy" and for business people. Also, if a person had one for work from a few years back that may be their frame of reference.
    I think this is the best point made so far as to why people turn their noses up at BB. They used them for work, or have a pre-OS 5 personal phone. They have no clue that BB phones have modernized since then.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-08-12 01:51 AM
    Just get it.... if it is faulty, then bring it back! I understand them being cautious, but its YOUR phone in the end.
    05-08-12 11:17 AM
    I have had nothing but problems with my 9900! The memory card stopped reading in the phone, tried formatting, repairing, etc.. In the end had to get a new memory card reader and fitted it in the phone, the old one being obviously knackered. Next, my trackpad will not stop squeaking, and its really inaccurate, it almost always goes to the wrong thing.. My touchscreen doesn't work at all in the sun, the back snapped off the phone after I dropped it like 30 cm from my pocket onto a wooden floor, the screen has loads of dust underneath it.. There's nothing I can do because I brought it from Amazon used.

The phone is also very slow! I thought with the 1.2 GHZ processor it would be amazing.. but no.
    I'm really dissapointed, all other BlackBerry's I have owned have been amazing! I'm going to try the 9860 now!
    05-08-12 11:31 AM
    I have a 9930 with Sprint and I love it. I don't have a problem making my battery last thru the day but I do realize that how one uses any smartphone will affect battery life. I love the size, weight, feel, and the keyboard. I find it very snappy and responsive. How one treats their smartphone also affects their experience with it. Load it up with junk apps and drop it on the floor, you're gonna have problems (and then tell everyone it's a piece of c***). In the end, it's up to you.
    05-08-12 11:47 AM
    buying used you are assuming prior history of the phone, to post a review on a used phone is not accurate. you dont know if prior owner dropped it in water! or his kid used as a football. i buy new, warranty if anything goes wrong.
    05-08-12 12:27 PM
    I'm on my second 9930 and on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best, I give it a 7.
    When it works, it's awesome.
    Trouble is, it is quirky. Its most recent quirk was when it decided not to allow me to make calls without a battery pull. The most BASIC function on a PHONE.
    Reloaded the OS. Been fine.
    For a week.
    05-08-12 02:13 PM
    And what drives me insane is email!!!! Takes forever, i want to go back and kill every person that told me email on an iphone is fast, liars!! Delayed emails can mean $$$ out of my pocket!
    I just moved my wife off of an iPhone 4s to a 9810 because the sending of email in particular was hit and miss with a legacy pop email account she has had for twenty years. Apple said its not our problem, get an new email provider. This account works fine on her BlackBerry.
    05-08-12 02:30 PM
    Ive had a 9700 for the last 2.5 years, tired phone but served me well, multiple drops, etc, thought i had a bright idea and went to iphone 4s, to say the least im going back to a bb. My wife now has a shiny 4s. ( her birthday on top of it). I went to my local store today and the guys there were pretty much refusing to sell me the 9900. No joke, they said one in fivemis good, the rest have crappy battery, erases contacts, etc, they were bent on the 9790? Anyone share some insight to this, i really like the size of the 9900, and either way ill just upgrade to bb10 and suitable phone when it comes out. Thanks in advance.
    What local store. Hope it was not a mall kiosk!

A real AT&T corporate store will sell you a 9900 and smile at the same time!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 05-08-12 at 02:59 PM.
    05-08-12 02:57 PM
    if it had APPS, I would still have it now....
    05-08-12 03:29 PM
    buying used you are assuming prior history of the phone, to post a review on a used phone is not accurate. you dont know if prior owner dropped it in water! or his kid used as a football. i buy new, warranty if anything goes wrong.
    Well for one thing all the water damage indicators are white.. and you can't assume that the phone wasn't as new when I got it.. Which it was.
    05-08-12 03:36 PM
    I have an 9900, updated to ver 7.1 and it really rocks. Best Blackberry keyboard ever!

Would have gone with an 9850 but i had to wait at least 3 more months for it.

Erasmo
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-08-12 03:38 PM
    What local store. Hope it was not a mall kiosk!

A real AT&T corporate store will sell you a 9900 and smile at the same time!
    The store mentioned was a Rogers cell phone retailer, i dont know how big at&t is in states, but i assume rogers to be the largest in Canada.
    05-08-12 05:52 PM
    Well for one thing all the water damage indicators are white.. and you can't assume that the phone wasn't as new when I got it.. Which it was.
    the phone can appear as new. just like a car with a bent frame can look as new. New means no prior use. No prior history.
    05-08-12 05:54 PM
    Just trying to keep up and make sure I understand - was it "new" as you posted here or "from Amazon used" as you previously posted?
    05-08-12 06:01 PM
    The Bold 9900 is a better phone from my person experience. The fact is that most sales people these days even here in Canada are anti-RIM.

One of my friends just two weeks ago went to buy a Bold 9900 and she was told by Rogers sales people at Calgary store that iPhone 4S is better. Two sales guys kept explaining why iPhone 4S is better for her for an hour. Good thing she talked to me before she went into the store.

While there has been some QC issues in the past(I even had to exchange my phone several times), I don't think it is the same now.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-08-12 at 07:04 PM.
    05-08-12 06:43 PM
    Quick update, Went to rogers store yesterday, the guy at the counter actually refused to sell me the 9900! unfreakin believable. he was that set that the 9900 model was no good. i had to actually drive 20 minutes to another store and pick up my 9900. glad i did. this is the best phone in my opinion, the keyboard is awesome, love the holster with bare phone, my emails coming instantly is music to my years. plus its one sexy phone with the stainless and all. thanks for the help people!
    05-10-12 01:38 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD