So I am in California this week roaming on the AT&T network. My home network is Telus in Alberta.

As soon as I got off the phone I noticed issues. The wife's iPhone began dinging right away with new messages, mine was silent and obviously searching for a network. After about 10 minutes I did a battery pull, the phone found the network after re-booting and my messages came in, along with a blackberry notification that the phone had been registered to the network.

Since then the phone has lost the network and gone into 'SOS' mode two or three times a day, each time requiring a battery pull and each time sending the network registration note once it comes back on.

Is this normal? Anyone have any hints to keep it talking to the network while roaming?
    12-10-11 10:18 AM
    are you trying to roam on 3g only?
    ATTS 3g/4g network is really bad

make sure you are set to 2g and 3g in your network options... you will be on EDGE most of the time, but it should be a lot more efficient.
    12-10-11 10:49 AM
    I've got it set for 3g/H+ & 2g
    12-10-11 10:58 AM
    FYI my wife's iPhone is also a Telus handset and she has had no issues at all since we got here, which is why I suspect the problem is something to do with my phone rather than the network.

Also, I was here in the spring with my 9800 and experienced no problems at all.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 12-10-11 at 11:15 AM.
    12-10-11 11:00 AM
    huh well i guess I'm the only one. Must be an issue with my handset I'll see what telus says when I get home.
    12-10-11 02:52 PM
    try to play with the mobile network selection. see if it changes to other network when you loss signal.
    12-10-11 03:04 PM
    try to play with the mobile network selection. see if it changes to other network when you loss signal.
    AT&T is the only available network listed.

Anyway, we're headed home today so it's no big deal now, but this has been a real pain and for me the first big black mark against this phone since I got it.

I don't travel out of the country more than a couple times a year but when I do i NEED to be able to count on my phone. This takes a lot of the shine off.

Thanks for the suggestions though.......
    12-11-11 08:54 AM