I used the instructions below 2 years ago when I switched my Curve to a Bold. Do they still apply? Or is there a different set I should follow? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. On your PC, choose Start --> Programs --> BlackBerry --> Desktop Manager.

This takes you to the Desktop Manager screen, where you can find Switch Device Wizard.

2. From the Desktop Manager screen, double-click the Switch Device Wizard icon.

The Switch Device Wizard screen appears, displaying an option for you to choose whether to switch from BlackBerry to BlackBerry or from non-BlackBerry to BlackBerry. In this case, you're interested in BlackBerry to BlackBerry.

3. Click the image next to Switch BlackBerry devices.

A screen appears, telling you to connect your current (old) BlackBerry to your PC.

4. Connect your old BlackBerry to your PC with the USB cable, and then click Next.

The next screen lets you verify that your old BlackBerry is connected properly. The Connection setting on this screen should display the PIN of your old BlackBerry.

5. Click Next.

6. Decide whether to include user data and third-party applications.

If you want all the data, leave the screen untouched, because this will back up everything. Third-party applications are all the programs you installed (that is, the ones that didn't come with the device originally).

7. Click Next.

A status screen appears, showing the progress of the backup operation. When the backup is finished, the next screen instructs you to connect your new BlackBerry.

8. Connect your new BlackBerry and then click Next.

The next screen lets you verify that your new BlackBerry is connected properly. The Connection setting on this screen should display the PIN of your new BlackBerry.

9. Click Next.

This takes you to a screen that tells you what will be restored to the new device. Nothing has been done to your new device yet, and this is the last opportunity for you to cancel the operation.

10. Click Finish.

A progress screen appears, showing you the loading process.

11. When the Success screen appears, click Close.
    06-15-12 07:39 AM
    Device Switch is not a good idea if you're coming from an OS6 device. Just backup your 9650 and do a selective restore of this file to your 9930, only transferring your important data like contacts, messages, calendar entries etc. Don't restore any apps or personal settings.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold�
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-15-12 07:50 AM
    Thank you for the reply. So for the 3rd party apps I would just need to reinstall them all?
    06-15-12 08:38 AM
    Yes. If you go to App World, then My World, click on Installed and scroll down to Uninstalled, you'll be able to re-install the correct OS7 versions of your old apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold�
    mushie143 likes this.
    06-15-12 09:13 AM
    Thank you Phil. Everything went great!
    06-15-12 02:08 PM
    "Device Switch is not a good idea if you're coming from an OS6 device. Just backup your 9650 and do a selective restore of this file to your 9930, only transferring your important data like contacts, messages, calendar entries etc. Don't restore any apps or personal settings."

Phil_UK
    I've got a 9930 upgrade that I'll be working on from my 9650. It (obviously?) runs 5.0.0.975 on the device, and 6.0.0.43 DM.

So, I'm not too concerned about the contacts, or calendar transfering. I imagine the outlook on my PC using DM will have no problem with that(assuming I upgrade the DM before attempting with the 9930-post 9650 backup)

Should I expect that the backup uploaded to the new 9930 will bring my password manager over to the 9930? If so, what is the process for uploading a backed up file?

Signed, Really don't want to input ALL those passwords and notes manually.
    06-16-12 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD