After a minor coffee spill, the trackpad on my Bold 9900 clicks/presses, but doesn't scroll. I also feel that it's safe to say with reasonable certainty that it's not the keyboard/trackpad, since the original, plus two different replacements did the same thing.

So, is there somewhere deeper within the innards that might be worth taking a shot at cleaning off with alcohol?
    Here's the full history:
    1. Coffee spill, splashes really, not even a full dunk or that bad of a spill (I've done worse)
    2. Scroll, plus several keys (power and back button in particular) didn't work at all
    3. Did the standard peel and clean described here and elsewhere. It improved, and the trackpad button would accept a press, but not a scroll. Still, a few other keys didn't work right, so I ordered a replacement (Replacement #1) via Amazon
    4. Replacement #1 worked except for scrolling. All letters, numbers, etc., clicking the trackpad worked properly, but not scrolling.
    5. It identifies the trackpad as a trackball (I saw several threads on that too, most of those remedied themselves with a new keypad/trackpad as far as I could tell).
    6. Thinking, "Darn chinese counterfeits", I tried (and failed) with a local repair shop. They ordered a replacement keyboard, assured me theirs is authentic blackberry. I was skeptical (there's no way of knowing, is there?), but decided to try anyway.
    7. The replacement also had the same scrolling problem. Funny enough, the repair shop replacement #2 had the O and P keys not working reliably too. And the writing on the Amazon replacement #1 looked more like the writing on the original keypad.
    8. Amazon replacement #1 is back in the device. Incidentally, I cleaned the plug/connector very carefully with alcohol and inspected with a jewelers loupe magnifier, there was no dirt or damage to the standard keypad plug that I could see
    9. So anyway, after 3 different keyboard/trackpad combinations all didn't scroll, I'm willing to go with probability, and say the problem is somewhere else, not the keypad.

So... Is there some other connector on the circuit board elsewhere that might be worth attempting to clean? Thanks in advance.
    05-26-14 04:28 PM
    if your device is under warranty go to the nearest blackberry service center and have your trackpad replace,,and dont ever get your trackpad wet again..
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-26-14 11:18 PM
    After a minor coffee spill, the trackpad on my Bold 9900 clicks/presses, but doesn't scroll. I also feel that it's safe to say with reasonable certainty that it's not the keyboard/trackpad, since the original, plus two different replacements did the same thing.

So, is there somewhere deeper within the innards that might be worth taking a shot at cleaning off with alcohol?
    Here's the full history:
    1. Coffee spill, splashes really, not even a full dunk or that bad of a spill (I've done worse)
    2. Scroll, plus several keys (power and back button in particular) didn't work at all
    3. Did the standard peel and clean described here and elsewhere. It improved, and the trackpad button would accept a press, but not a scroll. Still, a few other keys didn't work right, so I ordered a replacement (Replacement #1) via Amazon
    4. Replacement #1 worked except for scrolling. All letters, numbers, etc., clicking the trackpad worked properly, but not scrolling.
    5. It identifies the trackpad as a trackball (I saw several threads on that too, most of those remedied themselves with a new keypad/trackpad as far as I could tell).
    6. Thinking, "Darn chinese counterfeits", I tried (and failed) with a local repair shop. They ordered a replacement keyboard, assured me theirs is authentic blackberry. I was skeptical (there's no way of knowing, is there?), but decided to try anyway.
    7. The replacement also had the same scrolling problem. Funny enough, the repair shop replacement #2 had the O and P keys not working reliably too. And the writing on the Amazon replacement #1 looked more like the writing on the original keypad.
    8. Amazon replacement #1 is back in the device. Incidentally, I cleaned the plug/connector very carefully with alcohol and inspected with a jewelers loupe magnifier, there was no dirt or damage to the standard keypad plug that I could see
    9. So anyway, after 3 different keyboard/trackpad combinations all didn't scroll, I'm willing to go with probability, and say the problem is somewhere else, not the keypad.

So... Is there some other connector on the circuit board elsewhere that might be worth attempting to clean? Thanks in advance.
    Are buying just the trackball or a complete keyboard. New keyboard is less than $20
    05-27-14 09:45 PM
    @Mr 4 Aces
    Thanks for the reply. Both replacements were a complete keypad + trackpad, the entire assembly, pre-assembled (which leads me to assume/hope, that the small connector, the trackpad to the keyboard's circuit board was intact). By the time I got to the second replacement, it made me willing to assume that it's something else on the device, somewhere on the main circuit board, etc., at least in my case. (I have seen many posts where a new keypad/trackpad solved similar problems for many people, but in my case, all 3 different keypad/trackpads behaved the same way and did not solve the problem for me, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other connectors to double check, etc.).
    05-28-14 09:38 AM
    I have no clue. I do know it is very hard to properly make the ribbon connect. My old eyes screwed up the pins the first time I did it. I had to borrow my son in law jeweler's magnifying glass after that. So now I play around changing replacement parts on it. If only they sold a new motherboard or there was a way to change out the processor. I would be trying it.

PM me if you figure it out or use BBM my pin is 2AC63F55
    BBM C002E21C5
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-29-14 at 08:13 AM.
    05-29-14 07:08 AM

Here's the full history:

Did this ever get fixed, and if so how? I'm having essentially the identical issue with my Classic!

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 08:25 AM