Hello,

I currently have a Tour and I am looking to upgrade to the 9930. The only reason for upgrading really is wifi, browser and cpu. My work puts the worse IT Policy on it and pretty much all the phone is good for is work email, and the internet abeit most of the sites are blocked (facebook, mail, twitter, etc).

Do you guys think the upgrade is worth it? I probably will not be able to use any apps or download anything on it.

Also I have bought my phones from Verizon for years, and now I looked at Costco and they have it for 89 dollars while Verizon its 200. I called verizon and asked them to match it and they laughed at me. I said how is it possible Costco can sell for less then Verizon when Verizon sells so many more phones. They said cause Costco gets a piece of your contract to offset it. So pretty much Verizon is willing to give Costco a piece of the contact then lower the price on their phone so I buy from them.

Has anyone bought from Costco recently? Some people say you can bring the phone to any Verizon if you have problems, some people say only you can bring it back to Costco.

What if it breaks like 5 months later? Costco repairs it?

Thanks
    11-30-11 08:28 AM
    The screen and the keyboard will make it worth it. Did you know that you have more usable space on it than even the Torch 9869 when the virtual keyboard is active? and that is a 3.7" screen. Bigger than the iPhone 4S.

I hope your IT guys let you use NFC. But they may restrict the use of SCM, which makes it easy to use. I love just putting my phone on my car's smart tag and it automatically:
    1. e-mails my wife I'm leaving work.
    2. shuts down Wifi
    3. launches blue tooth.
    4. launches Drive Safe.ly.

The Bold 9930 is just an awesome device. Better, larger screen; better larger keyboard, better, more user friendly UI.

So, yeah. I would get it in a hot second! We can pick whatever we want for our small business and I was the first to come back to BB with the Bold, then everyone saw it and played with it and now we all got the Bold 9930s. We just loves them.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-30-11 at 08:47 AM.
    11-30-11 08:43 AM
    Whoever it was from Verizon who told you that Costco gets a "piece" of your contract is an *****. I work for Costco's competitor (think really hard who it may be ) selling wireless phones, and I can assure you that nobody gets a piece of any contract from any carrier. Costco is a third party retailer, no different than Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. If Costco is anything like my employer, the phones are sold at a lower price because we purchase all of our own stock, and we are able to drop our prices lower than most retailers. Regardless of what someone else tells you, Costco WILL NOT be able to service your device if you have an issue with it after the first 14-30 days based on their return policy. If you get the 9930 from Costco, you will have 14 days (per Verizon's return policy) to take the phone back to the store and return it, cancel out your upgrade, and go back to the device you were using. I assume that Costco has a 30 day electronics return policy (same as my employer) and would allow you to return the phone anytime within that 30 days if you had an issue with it and needed to swap it out for another device. After that initial 30 day period, Costco will have no tie to your account. All customer service will be handled with Verizon directly. Costco simply plays the middle man, resigns your VERIZON contract, and sells you the phone, nothing else.

What the VZW rep probably was thinking is that Costco (and other retailers) get a certain commission based on what contract they sell, device, and features. However, they have not ties to your contract. That is held with your carrier and nobody else. I got my 9630 through Sam's Club, and any time I needed customer service, it was always through Verizon.

The only time things get a little more confusing would be if you signed up for a Best Buy insurance plan with Best Buy. They offer their own phone insurance, not Asurion that is available through the carrier. If you were to purchase Best Buy insurance, they would need to service your device.

You should have no hesitations about getting the 9930 through Costco. These kiosks work very closely with carrier representatives, and are a great place to get devices and a low price.
    11-30-11 09:03 AM
    elvin1983
    Thanks for your help. What you say makes sense, so if the phone breaks 5 months later I can bring to any Verizon store and they have to honor the warranty? If that is the case then it makes total sense to buy from Costco. I was just worried there will be a little catch some where and I didnt feel like hearing sorry I know your phone is bricked but your out of luck.

So I guess costco it is!
    11-30-11 09:16 AM
    My only hesitation would be the after-sale support. Since that's apparently not an issue, go for it. Why does your work put an IT policy on your phone? If all you can get is email, and approved websites, why bother? Just for wifi?
    11-30-11 09:19 AM
    elvin1983
    Thanks for your help. What you say makes sense, so if the phone breaks 5 months later I can bring to any Verizon store and they have to honor the warranty? If that is the case then it makes total sense to buy from Costco. I was just worried there will be a little catch some where and I didnt feel like hearing sorry I know your phone is bricked but your out of luck.

So I guess costco it is!
    You are correct, you would take your device to any Verizon location after the initial 30 days for any issue you have. Within the first 30 days you would be covered under the store's return policy, so if you had any issue you would need to take your device there so they could return it, and swap it out for another. After that it's as if you bought it directly from Verizon. They would handle anything you would need, as if you had purchased it from them originally.

People rarely think to check out Costco/Sam's Club. They're really great places to get devices for a low price. Enjoy your 9930!
    11-30-11 09:35 AM
    OP - as far as your "Do you think it's worth it" question goes, I had the Tour briefly before moving to the Bold 9650. I just got my 9930 last week and it's a huge upgrade from what I had. I just wiped my 9650 for resale, and it was weird going back to the smaller screen, narrower keyboard and thicker profile. It took me a little bit to get used to a non-crippled touchscreen; I kept trying to click it like my old Storm & Storm2.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-30-11 at 09:57 AM.
    11-30-11 09:43 AM
    Well the reason for upgrading is my Tour has two stress cracks (black dots). The bluetooth is having so many problems now connecting to my car, it used to so I think its just broke or tired Where I live the reception is not good, so browsing the web is painful and overall the tour is just tired.

So I figured with OS7 and the new broswer coupled with wifi it would be a big upgrade for me. Remember I have OS5, and loading a webpage tests ones patience.
    11-30-11 09:46 AM
    Well the reason for upgrading is my Tour has two stress cracks (black dots). The bluetooth is having so many problems now connecting to my car, it used to so I think its just broke or tired Where I live the reception is not good, so browsing the web is painful and overall the tour is just tired.

So I figured with OS7 and the new broswer coupled with wifi it would be a big upgrade for me. Remember I have OS5, and loading a webpage tests ones patience.
    Ah, I've been on BB6 since it first leaked in Sept 2010, I forgot how crappy OS5 is! The upgrade will be like night and day.
    11-30-11 10:00 AM
    Costco pulled the 9930 from their website today. It was on the website this morning, I checked back now to go ahead and buy it and its gone.
    11-30-11 03:00 PM
    I just got my 9930 from Costco.com the other day. No problems. They also give u a car charger and case. And if Costco sells the 9930 for cheaper within 30 days they give me the difference.
    11-30-11 05:28 PM
    Welcome is a amazing phone
    11-30-11 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD