About the Bold Touch, how about adding touchscreen enable/disable option on new BB devices?

For example, I work with liquid hydrocarbons (gas, biodiesel, motor oil) and most of the time during the day I'd use the trackpad for phone calls and work apps like DocsToGo or BBM instead of a touchscreen because of its functionality and well, it won't become a mess if my hands are a little dirty, just like the touchscreen would. But during the night, hanging out with my friends or family, when sharing videos and photos, I'd love it if my BB 9700 running OS6 had a touchscreen (that’s why I’d buy a Bold Touch), so I could have better media and browsing experience.

Also, I’ve heard the processor renders faster when it isn’t handling a touchscreen, so disabling it could give a merely functional experience while working and would save some battery life as well. Still, you could get the full experience anytime by enabling it again. I think this is what the person who started this (http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/an...screen-523985/) post was trying to achieve, and the people who answered just laughed at his/her face. Shame on them.

RIM must know that not all BB users are executives with a tie or a dress behind a fancy desk or flying on an airplane. Some have physical work and have BBs as our smartphone of choice. If they want to keep us as customers, don’t go full time touchscreen and listen to us, plz.
    Last edited by SteelHelmet; 02-16-11 at 11:18 AM.
    02-16-11 10:35 AM
    02-16-11 06:20 PM
    Can't see it happening, it would add more testing for them to provide a feature that most people could recreate themselves simply by just using the trackpad and keyboard anyway and as far as the performance point, that would be a negligible difference on a slower bb processor let alone the fast one in this next generation of blackberries.
    02-17-11 04:06 AM
    Can't see it happening, it would add more testing for them to provide a feature that most people could recreate themselves simply by just using the trackpad and keyboard anyway and as far as the performance point, that would be a negligible difference on a slower bb processor let alone the fast one in this next generation of blackberries.
    Testing? So I guess they had to do a lot of testing when enabling/disabling WiFi? We are talking here about a command to disable hardware, that shouldn't take much testing for RIM developers. Bold users are just asking to have both choices. There are reasons while people still buying Bold 9780 instead of Torch, and it's not just price or form factor, when you are at work that doesn't matter. It's the touchscreen they don't want to deal with, at least not if it is a work phone. And in the end, if you are not using a hardware feature in your phone, why won't you turn it off? The minimal saving on power consumption will be well received.
    02-17-11 11:14 AM
    Very good idea! It's funny. While I was playing with my 9650, I was thinking of this exact same feature and how it would be awesome. What kills me about my Droid X is that I always accidentally press the touchscreen when I forget to lock the screen. Then all **** breaks loose. Skip songs, delete contacts, call people, etc. I never have that issue with my 9650.

I agree that it would be a nifty feature for the Dakota to turn off the touchscreen for keyboard & trackpad only. Anything to save the battery life (huge deal!) and from accidental presses, I'm all for it!
    02-17-11 01:54 PM
    That idea is SO logical and would make SO much sense.... This is exactly why they won't do it. You gotta wonder what they're thinking sometimes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 08:47 AM
    Judging from the Torch, this would be a little more complicated than simply disabling some hardware. There are applications that have certain selections that require you to select on the touchscreen, App World, for example. This would require modifications to the OS and applications. However, I think this option would certainly be worth the time and effort to build. As a mechanic/contractor that runs my whole business from my 9700, a touchscreen is definitely a downfall when crawling around or wiggling into tight spots, but would be nice to have when relaxing at home on the couch. I'll probably try this phone when it comes out anyway.
    02-20-11 02:09 PM
    I was thinking of the same idea. I'm not a fan of a touchscreen on a traditional BB device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 04:12 PM
    Agreed! The lock button already disables the touchscreen, but it also disables the phone. I get annoyed every time I put the torch in my pocket because I wind up dialing someone. If I push the lock button, it inevitably gets bumped and turns on the touch screen. Dumb design. I would like to turn the touchscreen on and use it when I want to and then turn it off when I want to. Since Blackberry wasn't smart enough to put the iPhone slide lock on the phone (and the app you can buy doesn't work well enough to justify the cost), the easiest solution is a software button to disable the screen. I bought the torch because it had a nice large screen. But, the touch design is not working for me and never will.
    03-02-11 11:45 AM
    i agree, but with a shortcut button that can be programmed to turn it on and off. when my hands are oily and greasy, my trackpad is hard to use so i need to use a knuckle or something clean on my hand to be able to navigate.
    03-08-11 08:28 PM
    Won't happen.

Some functions are touchscreen specific.

When is the next Beck album coming out ?
    03-09-11 12:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD