Since I hijacked someone else's thread I thought I should make my own.

I have a crazy memory leak and it has always been this way even with three different builds.

I always clear my caches and have memory cleaner set to clean every two minutes.

Even if I have no apps other than the one that came with the OS installed.

I just don't get it.

I am starting to think that my phone is defective?

Look at how much I used in a couple of minutes. All I did was send two bbm and double checked the time duration for the memory cleaner.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    11-27-11 05:15 PM
    Could be an app or what you are browsing.

Can you list the application you are using on the device?
    11-27-11 05:21 PM
    No apps other than tapatalk.

11-27-11 06:04 PM
    Doesn't matter what I browse or that I clear the cache the browsers memory never returns.

11-27-11 06:06 PM
    What OS?????
    11-27-11 06:14 PM
    What OS?????

Started with .254, .362 and now .374. All did the same thing.

11-27-11 07:20 PM
    Started with .254, .362 and now .374. All did the same thing.

BlackBerry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    Hank I also hve a 9930 and its the same as urs. I had the original OS and now the latest release frm Verizon and it still the same. The only way I get the memory all back is after a battery pull. Once I use the browser it doesn't come back if I do a cahce clear I get some of it but not all. It stays @ 44mb used.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 07:26 PM
    That's still a lot of free RAM in my opinion. I've done tests opening every app on the phone and I mean, I have a lot haha... It manages memory pretty well.

I guess what I'm getting at is, WHY is this totally not ok? Are you finding the phone runs slowly? Does it take longer than usual to open apps?

When your phone indexes everything for quick search it uses up a lot of RAM so it can quickly access things you commonly search for. You could try unchecking things you don't need it indexing in Search Options...
    11-27-11 07:26 PM
    i can lose up to 60MB a day before it settles down on my 9860. its becoming a normal thing.
    11-27-11 07:33 PM
    That's still a lot of free RAM in my opinion. I've done tests opening every app on the phone and I mean, I have a lot haha... It manages memory pretty well.

I guess what I'm getting at is, WHY is this totally not ok? Are you finding the phone runs slowly? Does it take longer than usual to open apps?

When your phone indexes everything for quick search it uses up a lot of RAM so it can quickly access things you commonly search for. You could try unchecking things you don't need it indexing in Search Options...

Yes, it will run slowly and hourglass if I goes longer than a day with out alt right shift delete. I never seem to get the memory back.

You just saw two screen shoots just mins apart. Imagine after ten hours.

I usually do 4 hours of screen time and 17 hours at idle.

Then I put it on the charger.

11-27-11 07:36 PM
    Mines running 7.1 now, but its been rebooted a few times now and I think running since last reboot maybe 6 or 8 hours ago. It has 320.8mb left and I'm not getting the hourglass. How low have you managed to get it? if you say thats a screenshot after a few minutes, what DOES it look like after 10 hours??

I would be curious to see how it performs after a security wipe. No apps... just reload your contacts or what ever you NEED. See if the phone starts eating up memory as before and givign you the hourglass.
    11-27-11 07:52 PM
    Mines running 7.1 now, but its been rebooted a few times now and I think running since last reboot maybe 6 or 8 hours ago. It has 320.8mb left and I'm not getting the hourglass. How low have you managed to get it? if you say thats a screenshot after a few minutes, what DOES it look like after 10 hours??

I would be curious to see how it performs after a security wipe. No apps... just reload your contacts or what ever you NEED. See if the phone starts eating up memory as before and givign you the hourglass.

This is where its at now.

What happens exactly with a security wipe.

11-27-11 08:00 PM
    I have deleted all apps besides the one that come with the OS.

Do I still need to do a security wipe?

Before I install a new OS I wipe with BB Boss.

Would I still need to do a security wipe? Does it do something different than a complete wipe?

11-27-11 08:03 PM
    The only thing a security wipe doesn't delete is the BB operating system and the default apps lol it can cleanup any garbage left behind even after deleting the applications

Out of curiosity, is there any web pages open in the browser? You can hold the back button to quickly close all open web pages.
    Do you use the end call button to get to your home screen when you're done with apps? (it doesn't actually close applications, just sends them to the background)

The system hasn't taken up too much more space than from your earlier screenshots so I'm sure it must be an application doing this
    11-27-11 08:12 PM
    The only thing a security wipe doesn't delete is the BB operating system and the default apps lol it can cleanup any garbage left behind even after deleting the applications

Out of curiosity, is there any web pages open in the browser? You can hold the back button to quickly close all open web pages.
    Do you use the end call button to get to your home screen when you're done with apps? (it doesn't actually close applications, just sends them to the background)

The system hasn't taken up too much more space than from your earlier screenshots so I'm sure it must be an application doing this

When I am done with an app I hit the bb key and choose close on every app.

That's a lot of memory. I usually start out around 360 mb and end around 550 mb. If I let it get that far, I usually reboot before it gets that bad now a days.

I have no apps running in the background. Other then the core 5.

11-27-11 08:16 PM
    I have deleted all apps besides the one that come with the OS.

Do I still need to do a security wipe?

Before I install a new OS I wipe with BB Boss.

Would I still need to do a security wipe? Does it do something different than a complete wipe?

BlackBerry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    Hank do u think its frm the OS tht we r running still? It did it on both the original OS I had as well as the latest OS v7.0.0.374. It seems like maybe its just happening on the 9930. I was hoping it would be better with a new OS for the 9930. This has been the only issue tht I hve had with mine since they came out. I'm afraid to change anything and getting something much worse back.

11-27-11 08:17 PM
    Hmmmm, even if its using 550 MB by the end of the day, that shouldn't cause it to lock up or slow down. Windows XP can load happily in 256mb, so surely thats enough to spare that your blackberry wont lock up...
    Like I said my only suggestion is go into search options and remove some of the things you don't need indexed for the quick search. Mines using 470 right now and seems pretty happy but I also don't have any background apps open...
    11-27-11 08:28 PM
    Hank do u think its frm the OS tht we r running still? It did it on both the original OS I had as well as the latest OS v7.0.0.374. It seems like maybe its just happening on the 9930. I was hoping it would be better with a new OS for the 9930. This has been the only issue tht I hve had with mine since they came out. I'm afraid to change anything and getting something much worse back.

I see what you mean. I haven't heard of anyone with a 9900 having this problem and since the 9930 is so slow to receive updates the 9900 probably has already had this taken care of with all the builds that come out for that model.
    11-27-11 08:31 PM
    I see what you mean. I haven't heard of anyone with a 9900 having this problem and since the 9930 is so slow to receive updates the 9900 probably has already had this taken care of with all the builds that come out for that model.
    I just saw rroyy post on twitter tht browser detection has seen a v7.1.0.137 for the 9930 so it looks like we will be getting a leak very soon. Hopefully. Lol. I do see a spinning clock a few times but I will just wait to see if it fixes itself with the 7.1 leak.

11-27-11 08:36 PM
    I just saw rroyy post on twitter tht browser detection has seen a v7.1.0.137 for the 9930 so it looks like we will be getting a leak very soon. Hopefully. Lol. I do see a spinning clock a few times but I will just wait to see if it fixes itself with the 7.1 leak.

What does that mean "browser detection"?

Jordan, check this out. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-leak-654884/
    Last edited by HankHowdy; 11-27-11 at 09:00 PM.
    11-27-11 08:46 PM
    What does that mean "browser detection"?
    The browser detection I hve no idea either. Lol. But rroyy is big here in the forums and he does hve all the latest as leaks and things so I'm hopeful in the next day or so tht we will get the 7.1 leak as well. Hopefully the browser detection is just something they use to find the newer OS. If u use twitter his acct is @rr_yy and his website is rroyy.com. Like I said I haven't had any other issues with my 9930 n would hate to send it back to find out it was a OS bug and then get one tht bricks or has those other defects tht I see so much about thru here.

11-27-11 08:59 PM
    The browser detection I hve no idea either. Lol. But rroyy is big here in the forums and he does hve all the latest as leaks and things so I'm hopeful in the next day or so tht we will get the 7.1 leak as well. Hopefully the browser detection is just something they use to find the newer OS. If u use twitter his acct is @rr_yy and his website is rroyy.com. Like I said I haven't had any other issues with my 9930 n would hate to send it back to find out it was a OS bug and then get one tht bricks or has those other defects tht I see so much about thru here.

Oh I get it, its not something that solves this problem. Its just that there's a new os on the horizon for the 9930.
    11-27-11 09:04 PM
    I have Bold 9900 and I know don't have the exact same phone. But I had a very small leak on OS 7.0.261 and with OS 7.1 I have no leak at all. I think RIM was expecting mem leaks that's why Memory Cleaner app was loaded in all new OS 7 phones.
    11-27-11 09:07 PM
    Oh I get it, its not something that solves this problem. Its just that there's a new os on the horizon for the 9930.
    I did ask rroyy and he's says the browser detection is something tht when surfing the web it something tht picks up device and os info. So hopefully the bug will fix with this next leak.

11-27-11 09:10 PM
    I did ask rroyy and he's says the browser detection is something tht when surfing the web it something tht picks up device and os info. So hopefully the bug will fix with this next leak.

Here's hoping.
    11-27-11 09:33 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD