Am I right that the overall screen real estate on the Dakota and Torch 2 is the same 2.8''? That can't be right can it? If so why would anyone go for the Torch 2?
    01-13-11 06:29 PM
    Torch and Torch 2 is 3.2 inches. So a bit bigger. But I don't disagree that this Dakota model, branded as a Bold I'm guessing, will relegate the Torch to Storm-like status, kinda cool but no ones really buying it.

haha guessing is fun!
    Last edited by kartak; 01-13-11 at 06:58 PM.
    01-13-11 06:50 PM
    I like the choice people have. I'd like if the Torch 2 would be a cross-platform phone, but probably not. Luckily I'm Tmo so I'm sure it will get the Bold 4??? (Dakota)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 07:28 PM
    Some people such as myself like the slider a lot better seeing as how when it slides down you have a full touchscreen phone. Like rims said in the past there's all kinds of "shapes" in the world to suite ones need. I'd buy the torch2 over a bold style anyday.

ruger141 likes this.
    01-13-11 07:30 PM
    Some people such as myself like the slider a lot better seeing as how when it slides down you have a full touchscreen phone. Like rims said in the past there's all kinds of "shapes" in the world to suite ones need. I'd buy the torch2 over a bold style anyday.

My thoughts exactly...Now once my contract is up this fall RIM better have a good torch styled device on VZW or else I'm heading elsewhere with my money.
    01-13-11 07:35 PM
    I would have to test run both phones and see which one I would ultimately prefer...

More a Bold guy, but the T2 specs are impressive!

01-13-11 08:32 PM
    Interestingly the Dakota looks to be a hybrid bold/storm as it has, according to you tube vids, a sure press screen. So it seems that RIM may merge storm and bold.
    Last edited by Brazen9000; 01-14-11 at 08:30 PM.
    01-13-11 10:17 PM
    I like the new choices. I've been waiting for something from RIM so that I could give BlackBerry another shot. It is going to have to be good though to eclipse my Droid X.

01-14-11 05:12 AM
    Interestingly the Dakota looks to be a hybrid bold/touch as it has, according to you tube vids, a sure press screen. So it seems that RIM may merge touch and bold.
    I would ignore those videos, a bold/touch form factor has been on and off for quite a while with rim.
    01-14-11 05:38 AM
    I would have to test run both phones and see which one I would ultimately prefer...

More a Bold guy, but the T2 specs are impressive!
    It wouldn't surprise me if other than form factor and screen size if these two devices didn't turn out to have identical specs as it just seems like it would be far more cost effective to have as many components as possible used across the range and would obviously be good for us as customers as well since we can simply go with the form factor we like best rather than having to make trade-offs for one feature or another.

Personally, I tend to prefer bolds as well, but the torch form factor does offer a number of benefits too.
    01-14-11 05:42 AM
    Luckily I'm Tmo so I'm sure it will get the Bold 4??? (Dakota)
    Do you have any substantial information indicating that T-Mobile will get the Dakota when it's released?
    01-14-11 09:47 AM
    Do you have any substantial information indicating that T-Mobile will get the Dakota when it's released?
    Nobody does yet, but the odds are high that they will as if at&t has anything as an exclusive then it is more likely to be torch 2 since they have already spent time and money building that up as an at&t brand in the states.
    01-14-11 01:37 PM
    Yeah same assumption here. I think ATT has invested in the Torch series so that's what makes me hopeful about the Bold on Tmo. If they were all universally on all carriers... Life would be closer to perfect lol

Hoping the Dakota doesn't have surepress though, but if it does I guess it would be ok as you wouldn't be typing on the screen, just selecting areas to type in.

01-14-11 08:20 PM
    Before today I was sure that it would have surepress as I thought they were killing off the Storm and just going with Torch and Bold prior to a QNX all touch handset. But after today with the new Torch details I'm less confident. I'm even less confident when I thought - with OS 6 (+6.1) swiping is important, going from media favs all etc and so on. So if that you tube video is correct I'll be surprised. I'm now 65/35 confident it will be non surepress.
    01-14-11 08:35 PM

And I am just the opposite, I want it all on the front of the phone with no moving parts. I just can't get used to sliding parts. And besides, I am so very extremely happy with my 9700 that keeping it (Dakota) very close to what I have now and adding touch screen is like a dream come true.

BUT I am glad that they have both cause it gave me the chance to find out that I like the candy bar form mo' betta without having to try it on some other platform that is close but isn't really comparable to BB. I would second that notion that it just makes sense both phones would share the same specs.....just proves, there is an arse for every seat and I'll take my seat with no extra moving parts please!
    01-14-11 08:35 PM
    I see both the torch and bold at at&t first.

Yeah same assumption here. I think ATT has invested in the Torch series so that's what makes me hopeful about the Bold on Tmo. If they were all universally on all carriers... Life would be closer to perfect lol

Hoping the Dakota doesn't have surepress though, but if it does I guess it would be ok as you wouldn't be typing on the screen, just selecting areas to type in.

01-14-11 08:47 PM
    This will be a tuff decision for me, I love the torch, yet I enjoy the 9700 as well. If my hunch is right on the money, both the torch and bold will be on at&t and may snag both.

And I am just the opposite, I want it all on the front of the phone with no moving parts. I just can't get used to sliding parts. And besides, I am so very extremely happy with my 9700 that keeping it (Dakota) very close to what I have now and adding touch screen is like a dream come true.

BUT I am glad that they have both cause it gave me the chance to find out that I like the candy bar form mo' betta without having to try it on some other platform that is close but isn't really comparable to BB. I would second that notion that it just makes sense both phones would share the same specs.....just proves, there is an arse for every seat and I'll take my seat with no extra moving parts please!
    01-14-11 08:50 PM

I sincerely doubt that the Dakota will have SurePress. As a matter of fact, I'll even go further and say SurePress is dead.
    01-14-11 09:03 PM
    I wouldn't say that the Dakota would be a T2 killer neccessarily....they both have interesting...but I'd choose the Dakota over the Torch 2
    01-15-11 09:08 AM
    I also see both of these phone (T2 and Dakota) going to att first and possible no where else. I say this because if any one remebers the bold 9000 was an exclusive device on att before, now couple the T2 with the Dakota and att would have the best form factors and bb's on the market under one roof. Not that I hope this happens but I would not be surpised one bit if it did.

It would behove RIM to put these phones on all networks to sell as many devices as possible but if att has their hand in the pot this could be very ugly for tmo/ sprint/vzw customers. Just saying don't hope for anything until we get a clear word on the matter.
    01-15-11 05:01 PM
    It doesn't seem like at&t would want to guarantee that big an order for two separate devices in order to have both of them as exclusives, at most they will build on what they have done recently and keep the torch as an exclusive, but there is almost no chance of them keeping both of them.
    01-15-11 05:13 PM
    I wouldn't say that the Dakota would be a T2 killer neccessarily....they both have interesting...but I'd choose the Dakota over the Torch 2
    Rim is all about giving their customers form factor options, even though recently they have been steadily dropping further away from the high end, but were still giving options.

Now these devices will move back into the pack at the high end, albeit behind the more cutting edge stuff an interesting question is will that mean that they look to expand options at the low end in addition to the curve family.
    01-15-11 05:17 PM
    Its not a killer but it may pull people away from the Torch series

Rim always makes a handful of styles, it would seem natural they would make a slider, a flip, a mini candy bar, a candy bar, and eventually another type of slider

So I don't see these phones in competition, just kinda options.

Thats why they are all given the same specs pretty much. OF course the Bold being flagship gets mobile hotspot
    01-29-11 11:18 PM
    I sincerely doubt that the Dakota will have SurePress. As a matter of fact, I'll even go further and say SurePress is dead.
    I completely agree. The only purpose for SurePress is to mimic a physical keyboard's feel on a virtual keyboard. What would be the point of that on a phone that already has a permanent keyboard? The last thing I'd use the touch screen for on such a device would be typing.

01-29-11 11:35 PM
    I also see both of these phone (T2 and Dakota) going to att first and possible no where else. I say this because if any one remebers the bold 9000 was an exclusive device on att before, now couple the T2 with the Dakota and att would have the best form factors and bb's on the market under one roof. Not that I hope this happens but I would not be surpised one bit if it did.

It would behove RIM to put these phones on all networks to sell as many devices as possible but if att has their hand in the pot this could be very ugly for tmo/ sprint/vzw customers. Just saying don't hope for anything until we get a clear word on the matter.
    VZW and Sprint will be getting the CDMA versions. Exclusive: CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap 2011 - Montana, Monaco, Sedona, Malibu, BlackBerry 6.1 Evolution and more! | CrackBerry.com
    01-29-11 11:40 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD