1: The battery is actually incredibly good. Probably the best battery life of any smart phone on the market. In my environment, guys with androids only last about 6 hours and they are looking for a charge. Guys with iPhones last about 10 hours and they are plugging in. I can go 2 full 12 hour days on my 9900 and still have juice left. It's best in class.

2: For me the camera is good enough, I rarely use it anyways. I guess having a slightly better camera wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't want the device to be any thicker because of it.

3: The screen size is perfect. The resolution is perfect. The brightness is perfect. Colors are perfect and clarity is perfect. The only reason you might want a bigger screen would be for playing games and stuff.

If you want to play games and goof off because you are a kid. Buy an android.

If you want to play games and mp3 files because you are a young adult without any real responsibly or are a student. But an iPhone.

If you want incredible battery life, rock solid reception, fault free operation, email and txt communications and internet connectivity because you are an adult and have real work to do...BUT A BLACKBERRY!
    Interesting progression.

Kids who only play games: Android

Young adults who like mp3s: iOS

Serious business people: BBOS.

Judging by company performance AND your categorizations, RIM execs must not be using their own devices.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-07-11 08:25 AM
    1. I have no complaints about the battery. I can go through the day with needing a charge.

2. I have a real camera for pictures. But my 9930 takes the ones I need just fine.

3. The screen resolution is perfect for me. I don't need a bigger one.
    12-07-11 10:27 AM
    People always complain about something. I can understand about the camera as they went backwards with that, but the screen real estate on a full KB phone and battery is like come on man. .....

These phones do so much more, have bigger processors and more ram. Battery isn't going to last as long, not to mention adding a TS in. Just going to be a known fact it wont have as good of battery life as our old BB's. Want better battery life? Try a different OS or slow charge it over night through a USB as that sometimes seems to give you more life.

Screen real estate on a full keyboard is mind boggling to me. If screen real estate was a big issue, should have went with the 9810 like many others have mentioned.

Also, being you got this just a month ago, you would think you would have done your research as these issues have been an issue with the auto-focus and battery since day one. Screen real estate is mainly subjective opinion.

Maybe you should have went with that 9810 again or an iPhone. ....

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    12-07-11 10:45 AM
    1: The battery is actually incredibly good. Probably the best battery life of any smart phone on the market. In my environment, guys with androids only last about 6 hours and they are looking for a charge. Guys with iPhones last about 10 hours and they are plugging in. I can go 2 full 12 hour days on my 9900 and still have juice left. It's best in class.

2: For me the camera is good enough, I rarely use it anyways. I guess having a slightly better camera wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't want the device to be any thicker because of it.

3: The screen size is perfect. The resolution is perfect. The brightness is perfect. Colors are perfect and clarity is perfect. The only reason you might want a bigger screen would be for playing games and stuff.

If you want to play games and goof off because you are a kid. Buy an android.

If you want to play games and mp3 files because you are a young adult without any real responsibly or are a student. But an iPhone.

If you want incredible battery life, rock solid reception, fault free operation, email and txt communications and internet connectivity because you are an adult and have real work to do...BUT A BLACKBERRY!
    Easily one of the dumbest comments I have read on this site. Get out of here with this BS. ....talk about generalizing everything. Congrads!

12-07-11 10:51 AM
    You make it sound like RIM is dead and buried. It's not the first phone they have made that is less than perfect. How about the Storm series and the Pearl flip?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-11 10:52 AM
    So,
    You say i can buy a Ferrari but i have to dim the headlights, no?
    Come on guys stop finding silly excuses for the worst engineered BB ever!
    This phone is build with the ability of installing apps, games, etc. You don't produce a mobile phone and then you ask me to tweak the os, to stop using some apps, to dim the light, use 2G, only for the fact that you build a crappy phone.
    If you are unable to build a proper device, let others do it!
    I lough a lot with every OS build released. "does it solves the battery issues"? Jesus, people stoped thinking!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    ThePoisonBerry likes this.
    12-07-11 11:29 AM
    Are you kidding? The 9900 is a frigging great device with tons of qualities. Only problem is with the battery life that doensnt last too long. But I guess a slightly more powerful battery would fix any troubles and I really hope RIM is gonna make 1800 mAh or something batteries in the future.

And hey, I've had a 8520 Curve for one year. As soon as I dimmed the screen light, that battery duration just blew me away. This goes for every phone.
    12-07-11 12:27 PM
    i think from your analogy, its more like buying a ferrari but expecting the same mpg as your average saloon car.

as for dim the headlights (being a reference to screen brightness i guess) that would be the same as easing off the accelerator a bit to save fuel consumption.

is it perfect battery life? well no not for some i guess (mine always lasts more that a day) but is it comparable to what other 1.2ghz+ smartphones provide. yes.
    profanity likes this.
    12-07-11 12:28 PM
    Are you kidding? The 9900 is a frigging great device with tons of qualities. Only problem is with the battery life that doensnt last too long. But I guess a slightly more powerful battery would fix any troubles and I really hope RIM is gonna make 1800 mAh or something batteries in the future.

And hey, I've had a 8520 Curve for one year. As soon as I dimmed the screen light, that battery duration just blew me away. This goes for every phone.
    Yeah, it's great, that's why i sent him in service twice in 1 month. Crappy trackpad.
    I am using my 9700 bb, the 5th device in 2 years of warranty! yeah, go Rim, go !!!

As a BB fan, great fan, not an ordinary one, i can say that Rim is going down. It's incredible the way they manage the business. The quality control departament is a ruine!

Personally, the 9900 is the biggest dissapointement in the last couple of years!
    12-07-11 01:35 PM
    i think from your analogy, its more like buying a ferrari but expecting the same mpg as your average saloon car.

as for dim the headlights (being a reference to screen brightness i guess) that would be the same as easing off the accelerator a bit to save fuel consumption.

is it perfect battery life? well no not for some i guess (mine always lasts more that a day) but is it comparable to what other 1.2ghz+ smartphones provide. yes.
    No! I buy one mobile phone and i do expect to use it accordingly with the specs declared by the producer:
    GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
    GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
    Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours

If i want to buy a Ferrari, i have the consumption declared and real:
    Ferrari MPG (Fuel Consumption) & Emissions

So, RIM lied to me! We are waiting for leaked os, and we do discuss how to twick the phone. Bad joke!

I don't care what processor are they using and why. I do care for a honest partenership between me and RIM. They produce, i buy.
    I don't want excuses and late solutions, i want a normal, reliable phone.
    12-07-11 01:45 PM
    I am a *relatively* proud owner of 9900 for like the last month. I was up for renewal at work and I had the option of iPhone, 9810, or 9900... I almost got the iPhone, but literally after seeing the 9900 and touching the REAL device, I fell in love with it (which is a shame as fake phones in stores doesn't do it justice)!

The form factor, materials, weight, keyboard, design ALL oozes quality and professionalism. Also, by trying a colleagues, I loved how quick it ran and basically it looked like it had everything I wanted.

Now, after a month, I wonder WHY THE **** RIM skipped just a few things to do this phone RIGHT and missed the HUGE opportunity to gain A LOT MORE marketshare, or at least STOP THE BLEEDING! I am not gonna talk about OS, lack of apps, etc... those things are just facts of life until BBX, and OS 7.0 is pretty great for majority of users.

Top three things RIM missed on BB900 BIG TIME:
    1. BATTERY - This is NOT a surprise obviously, come one, it's 2011 and ALL long-term BB users are used to great battery life and I NEVER EVER had to worry about my phone running out of juice during a day. I understand that *might have* added a bit of thickness, but WHO CARES. Even within the same case they must probably be able to come up with a higher capacity battery.
    2. CAMERA - Again, not a surprise. WHY not include a freaking auto-focus? Not that 9780 camera was anything special, but to go backwards in quality is not acceptable in this day and age (not counting 720P video)
    3. SCREEN SIZE - This is something not too many have mentioned, BUT there is SO MUCH ROOM to make the screen 3" and even 3.2". Get rid of the Blackbery logo on top, remove the black plastic frame on the bottom, and just freaking extend the height of the screen.

That's it! Come on! I am not asking 1 milion apps, music/movie downloads, new OS, etc... just the SAME freaking phone could have been a PERFECT messaging, web device, with GREAT phone capabilities, good for 90% of the typical users of BB AND casual non-professional users. All most ppl care about is a phone that doesn't die half-way through a day, can take good picture, and has a decent size screen for web browsing, messaging, pictures.

The above 3 items are NOT engineering feats, or crazy technologies not available easily to RIM or difficult to implement... While they did some amazing stuff on 9900, for the LIFE OF ME, I do NOT GET IT why they missed such obvious items?!
    I read the title and was really hoping to read something intuitive and thought out, to my luck, it was obviously not, I didn't even bother to read the majority of your post, but skipped straight to what you 'think' RIM should have done.

Battery, if they produced a thicker phone, sure the battery would have been a higher capacity, you have alternative options, go buy an extended slim battery from Seidio. RIM's objective was to keep the phone thin this time.

Camera, going back to the phone being thin, a auto focus camera would have increased the thickness of the phone. And I haven't had any issues taking pictures with my 9900. You want a better camera, by a DSLR, can't afford it, buy a point and shoot. It's a cell phone.

Screen. If you want a bigger screen on the 9900 it would increase the width of the phone, you can't just make it taller, the aspect ratio needs to be kept.

Quit your bit*ching and crying, these factors have all been discussed countless times and you don't need to start another thread to rant. Finally, if you don't like the phone, jump ship.
    12-07-11 01:51 PM
    Battery, if they produced a thicker phone, sure the battery would have been a higher capacity, you have alternative options, go buy an extended slim battery from Seidio.
    It doesn't exist!
    12-07-11 01:57 PM
    It doesn't exist!
    I know it doesn't at the moment, but I'm sure Seidio or someone else will release one soon enough. People should just be more constructive with their criticism, complaining about what already IS reality doesn't help the fact.
    12-07-11 02:02 PM
    Battery is ridiculous!

building a device that isn't capable of lasting a day, and when I say day I mean a work shift of 12 hours as mine has turned itself off by then. Im an engineer and have a large building to maintain and it isnt possible for me to plug in for a 2nd charge!

its a step back from the 9700!
    12-07-11 02:40 PM
    Agree totally. All this about switching this off and saving that and rationing the time you use the phone and manage the battery......bollocks, take it off charge and use it. Otherwise what is the point of having it. The battery is not fit for purpose on a modern smart phone. That is 4 times in the last few weeks it has fallen on its arse and I have not been in a position to charge it.......absolutely shocking..
    12-07-11 02:46 PM
    Easily one of the dumbest comments I have read on this site. Get out of here with this BS. ....talk about generalizing everything. Congrads!

Sorry if I disrupted your little slam blackberry fun thread with my statements of fact. I know you kids with your HTCs love to talk crap about blackberry but hate taking criticism in return. It's the nature of a juvenile mind to be like that, so I don't blame you.

But just know this, when adults see other adults using androids. It's the equivalent of seeing a grown man wearing a Justin Beiber t-shirt. Remember that the next time you are out and about and you see adults smiling in your direction as you sit there playing video games on your phone. We aren't smiling because we think you look cool .

And pull up your pants!
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-07-11 at 06:51 PM.
    12-07-11 06:48 PM

Congrats, you mean.

And why the heck is it dumb when he stated not only his opinion, but true facts?
    And it is not really generalizing, its a fact. Why would someone who prefers phone feats get an android? I got an android device, its a monster phone, thrashes my 9700 on ANY media aspect and tech... but as a phone? A PIECE OF CRAP! Literally can't make phone calls, battery lasts NOTHING, reception = LOL! And lets not forget when it comes to email and texting... So pls... YOU get out of here with YOUR BS.

Battery is ridiculous!

building a device that isn't capable of lasting a day, and when I say day I mean a work shift of 12 hours as mine has turned itself off by then. Im an engineer and have a large building to maintain and it isnt possible for me to plug in for a 2nd charge!

its a step back from the 9700!
    You are talking about android and iPhones, right? If you complain about a BB, I assure you that you won't be much happier on any other platform or phone. Maybe a Nokia running Symbian...
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 12-07-11 at 08:14 PM.
    12-07-11 08:12 PM
    Anyone that says the 9900/9930 is the worst bb ever either has no idea of the capabilities of it or lives in a complete fantasy land. This device is outstanding in almost every way for a mobile communication device. Like any device once you take ownership you set it up to your liking for maximum efficiency. I own and run a business and my 9930 is by my side all day everyday without fail. Best mobile device I have used or owned to date for my needs.

So,
    Come on guys stop finding silly excuses for the worst engineered BB ever!
    This phone is build with the ability of installing apps, games, etc. You don't produce a mobile phone and then you ask me to tweak the os, to stop using some apps, to dim the light, use 2G, only for the fact that you build a crappy phone.
    If you are unable to build a proper device, let others do it!
    I lough a lot with every OS build released. "does it solves the battery issues"? Jesus, people stoped thinking!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-07-11 08:44 PM
    But just know this, when adults see other adults using androids. It's the equivalent of seeing a grown man wearing a Justin Beiber t-shirt. Remember that the next time you are out and about and you see adults smiling in your direction as you sit there playing video games on your phone. We aren't smiling because we think you look cool .

And pull up your pants!

Let's lighten up people...
    12-07-11 08:44 PM
    If they had fixed these "top 3" issues, it wouldn't have changed anything for RIM. None of the BB7 devices would turn this situation around. These are stopgap devices, not transition devices...
    12-07-11 08:47 PM
    RIM doesn't need to be saved, they aren't dying, aren't bankrupt, sure they've made mistakes. Nobody is perfect. I love my 9900 and no autofocus, I don't care, as long as the camera works, and everything else does, I am a happy camper.
    12-07-11 10:27 PM
    I actually have very good battery life on my 9900. Lasts me all day, easily. And compared to other smartphones out there, it's even better. My wife's Galaxy S II hardly lasts half a day, it's a joke. Compared to that crap, the 9900 has wonderful battery life.
    12-08-11 12:11 AM
    Got one thing to say about the cam loosing AF. Disappointing
    12-08-11 01:00 AM
    Hmmm....We have GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, 4G, Awesome download speeds, incredibly fast 1.2ghz processor, mountains of memory, perfect touch screen with 24-bit high-res color, a perfect keyboard, incredible battery life, wifi hotspot, perfect reception, call clarity is in a league of it's own, NFC, hi def video recording, excellent camera flash, an amazing OS, awesome sounding MP3 playback, cosmetically perfect and sexy as heck with a brushed stainless steel bezel, playbook bridging that is amazing, updates coming at a mind boggling rate, great apps available, amazing web browsing, awesome email and txt messaging, BBM messaging etc etc etc...

The only thing needed to make this the best portable communications device ever made, would be a 10 megapixel camera with some crazy zoom and features. That's really the only thing I can think of to upgrade. It's pretty much already the best cellphone ever made, it doesn't have much room for improvement.

imo.
    First of all its NOT 4G, it is HSDPA+ think of it as 3G+. Download speeds are no where close to competition. 1.2ghz isn't really upto speed with the competition as they have dual cores and are moving into quad cores begining of 2012. Perfect touchscreen?! Oh please obviously you haven't used other touch screen phones. Incredible battery life? Sure if you barely use that thing. Reception really depends on your environment, with me not so great even though I live in the suburbs and close to the towers. What mountains of memory are you talking about as it only has 768mb of RAM and 8gb internal.

I don't know why people are so proud of having NFC which is useless atleast for a year or 2. Hi def video recording is sub par as competition already has 1080p. The flash is only a single LED where as others have dual LED. You think Blackberry Cameras are amazing, if so then please check out Nokia's from couple years ago and you see their Carl Zeiss lenses.

Amazing OS? I don't know how you think its "amazing" as its not much different from the OS6 or its predecessors minus some minor cosmetic changes. Don't even get me started on the Playbook Bridge. Wifi hotspot was not available when the phone was release and its still in a "leaked" version so therefore not officially available as many people don't like upgrading to leaked versions. Updates "leaking" not released "officially" and definitely not at a mind boggling rate as the 9930 owners are still furious and feel like they're being left out from the 99xx herd due to not many software upgrades availabe. Couldn't care about much apps as I'm not an apps person. Even when I had my iPhone 3GS and 4G I got bored of it in a week cause I don't have time to play with stupid apps. The web browsing has come along a bit better but I still think its sub par due to its loading time etc. Email still does not download "images" automatically even when you set it to do so in the options and you need to buy an app for that which isn't even free.

Now there's 1 thing that keep us on the same page is the look of 99xx. Its beautiful looking device and I love the form factor. Sorry for the rude awakening I might have caused for some but I was only stating some facts and ultimately my opinion.

If you're wondering why I'm still with a BB well I think y'all already know that, keyboard and BBM.

Thanks for reading and sorry for this long post but I just had vent off some anger/frustration after reading the quoted post.
    shanny186 likes this.
    12-08-11 01:52 AM
    I am on .540 firmware, and yes, the battery life was improved slightly, and it WILL last one full day when used very lightly, BUT, medium use only gets me to early evening, and high usage takes me to only afternoon.
    Agreed. Same issue here.
    12-08-11 01:56 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD