I really don't think QNX will be out on devices in 6 months? 1 year????Maybe. I do know one thing. I am not waiting anymore. If the 9930 is nothing great I am going to give an iphone a try while RIM is gettn their ducks in a row!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm with you. As much as I want to stay with RIM I just can't ignore what a great device the iPhone is.

06-22-11 10:19 AM
    i'm getting one. Combining a touch screen, bold 9000 keyboard, and way faster cpu can only give a better user experience.
    06-22-11 10:55 AM
    1) By the time it comes out, call it outdated. BlackBerry devices will be running QNX 6 months - 1 year after the release of the Bold 9900.

2) The delay due to software issues got me hesitant to purchase the Bold 9900. Now they probably feel rushed to release the device out. I see a lot of bug related issue topics coming to this forum.

3) Don't let OS7 (OS 6.1, remember?) fool you. Its exactly the same as OS6; just some icon changes and this so-called Liquid Graphics.

To point number one, I'm not so sure you can call the 99xx outdated in any fair sense of the word. Outdated would be a Curve 8310. The 99xx's HW rivals that of many competitors. The processor has only been released this year.

To point number two, software issues happen with all devices. Same with new HW revisions.

Number three however is the kicker. And I agree. Yes OS7 is structurally the same as OS6. Yes it's better than OS6 and has some new features but fundamentally it's the same. Beyond that is the future implementation of QNX into HH's. This reason and this reason alone is enough to make many not get the 99xx because it will use the old OS soon.
    mssca likes this.
    06-22-11 11:07 AM
    I can't wait for the 9900 to come out!.. I still have a Bold 9700 and will not give it up for anything but a 9900... I am running OS 6 on the bold.. Sure it freezes up at times and runs slow... but still is, in my opinion, one of the fastest ways to communicate out there... I bought a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant which is nearly triple as much capacity in some aspects (16GB Flash memory) (1 GHz processor) rather than 256 MB memory and 624 MHz processor.. and still I much rather have my Bold..The android phone is nice and much more customizable but the battery life is awful and not even by getting used to the keyboard I'd be able to type as fast as with the Bold.. I cant imagine what running 1.2 GHz on OS7 will be like.. only hoping for the best.. and i know RIM will get their act together and get back on track..
    06-22-11 01:24 PM
    I am getting one....some of you just love to rain on someone's parade....just saying.
    06-22-11 01:56 PM
    i wont be getting one either but just because I'm satisfied with my 9780
    06-22-11 09:33 PM
    Here I thought this was started by an ifan or droidfan or filled with them. Quite surprised. If I like it and it's out at my upgrade I will probably get it also. I may go for the full touch though for the larger screen even though I don't like all touch phones.
    06-22-11 09:57 PM
    what makes ppl think that qnx in phones arent going to flop?..... just curious... all the 'cant wait till qnx' i think the 9900 will be my next phone.
    06-22-11 10:16 PM
    qnx will be nice on devices but it wont be till middle to late 2012... regardless i upgrade devices every 6-8 months... so either way getting the 9900 then possibly something else 6 months down the road unless qnx is near to being released
    06-22-11 10:30 PM
    Plus, all my friends who use iPhones and Macs seems to be mindless. What ever the Apple Inc aka their God tell them to use (for example apps featured by iStave himself on his speeches) or tell them to buy (for example Macbook Pro OS updates which they have to PAY), all the apple fanboys and girls do it without even reading any reviews.
    You must be....like, what 12-13 yrs old maybe??? Based on your comment you must be the most intelligent one of the bunch. I applaud you for it.
    06-22-11 10:55 PM
    mmm, maybe it'll take abiut 6 months or more after the 9900 out and then i'll buy this phone..

it takes about that time to get the price of bb in my country stable.. plus i still love my 9700
    06-23-11 08:32 AM
    sure it may be thinner, but it's width I'm talking about. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad phone. Just not my style. I'm waiting for the T2
    The Bold 9000 is one of the most beloved BB's from RIM, lots and lots of people like how large the screen & keyboard are and has been waiting for another release of a BB like that and the 9900 will be it.
    06-23-11 10:44 AM
    I can't wait for the 9900 to come out!.. I still have a Bold 9700 and will not give it up for anything but a 9900... I am running OS 6 on the bold.. Sure it freezes up at times and runs slow... but still is, in my opinion, one of the fastest ways to communicate out there... I bought a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant which is nearly triple as much capacity in some aspects (16GB Flash memory) (1 GHz processor) rather than 256 MB memory and 624 MHz processor.. and still I much rather have my Bold..The android phone is nice and much more customizable but the battery life is awful and not even by getting used to the keyboard I'd be able to type as fast as with the Bold.. I cant imagine what running 1.2 GHz on OS7 will be like.. only hoping for the best.. and i know RIM will get their act together and get back on track..
    Same, been using my HTC Desire since it first came out and despite getting used to the software keyboard, it's no match to a physical keyboard, I had to turn off the word prediction and quick fixes because sometimes in SMS messages I'd type out something and it would convert it to an odd word. And same with battery life, god my Curve can go 2 days compared to my Desire usually reaches 30% in the evening even from light use (I even turned off sync & GPS and auto refresh and such).
    06-23-11 10:50 AM
    The Bold 9000 is one of the most beloved BB's from RIM, lots and lots of people like how large the screen & keyboard are and has been waiting for another release of a BB like that and the 9900 will be it.
    That's a matter of opinion, a friend of mine had a 9000, and it was very clunky looking. Not to mention it was an enormous piece of ****. 9650/9700 form factor ftw!
    06-23-11 10:59 AM
    Main things are: Flash, real multitasking (like games or so running in the background), Androidapps, Mulitcore (more power with more battery), "real" office tools;
    As someone who is going to wait a bit with regards to upgrade cycles, is there a timeframe for when the first QNX phone will be released? Obviously I realize it would be an estimation, and I don't dislike my Storm2, but right now I don't see any phones that make me want to run out and upgrade. But the features you've listed above...I'd definitely be down for that.
    06-23-11 12:42 PM
    I would love to see a 5'' Playbook, like the DEll Streak 5, running QNX and has the ability to make phonecalls. They can keep the 9900 and their Liquid Graphics.
    06-23-11 01:15 PM
    I would love to see a 5'' Playbook, like the DEll Streak 5, running QNX and has the ability to make phonecalls. They can keep the 9900 and their Liquid Graphics.
    If they took it from the bezel

06-23-11 05:35 PM
    Let's face it, there are some inescapable reasons why those of us who stick with Blackberry year after year retain our loyalty rather than rushing out to get the latest iPhone/Android toy.

1) Physical keyboard. I don't care how flashy or powerful a full touchscreen phone is, a physical keyboard ALWAYS wins. I've done my fair share of typing on a touchscreen and let's face it, it sucks. If you're a power user and you type a lot on your phone, you're going to need a proper keyboard. Especially if you use one of these babies for business. I laugh at some of the clumsily written messages and emails I get from my iPhone owning friends and business associates. It's embarrassing.

2) Nothing beats Blackberry for email. My business relies on me responding to emails in real time, no matter where I am and what I'm doing. I'm a power user. And I've tried an iPhone. The way it handles email is awful compared to a Blackberry. The notification system is a disgrace and even just browsing and editing your folders is a pain. Plus, the notification alarms and ringtones are so quiet you can't even hear the darn thing if you're out in traffic, even if you install so-called "loud" tones. I'm all over Manhattan in a typical working day and I hear my Blackberry wherever I am. It's wonderfully loud, it has an LED notification light, the screen notifications are excellent and what's more we have REAL push email which works without having to constantly poll the server, which is a huge part of what drains the battery so quickly on iPhone and Android phones.

3) Battery life. If you're a power user, especially for business, iPhone and Android battery life SUCKS. I tried the iPhone 4. With the brightness all the way down, 3G off, bluetooth off and every other setting either off or minimized, I got maybe 8 hours the way I use my phone in a typical working day. On my Bold 9700, I have EVERYTHING turned on, make bluetooth calls and email and game and use apps and browse the web on 3G all day, and the thing lasts me into the next day. In fact I've had 36 hours off of one charge. I don't care if the iPhone 5 has increased battery life, there's no way on earth it's competing with a BB on that score. Ditto Android.

4) Syncing data with Outlook etc - Blackberry does this so darn perfectly I want to kiss it. I had sooooo much trouble getting things to work right with the iPhone. Intermediate 3rd party apps etc. If you're a casual calendar user, not so much of a big deal. I schedule my entire business and employees with Outlook calendars and depend on things like recurring appointments and their changes syncing perfectly to my phone. The iPhone just didn't come close to the BB on that score. And it won't get any better with the iPhone 5.

Of course if you're a light user who only uses his or her phone for personal and pleasure, a lot of the above won't matter to you. But if your phone runs your life, there is NO BEATING a Blackberry! And sure the other phones have more apps. But 95% of them are either gimmicks, games or completely pointless. I'm sooooo distraught that I can't get a Blackberry App that teaches me how to make the perfect cup of coffee. I'm sooooo upset that I can't use my Blackberry to monitor my heart rate. Sure it sucks that I can't use it to deposit checks, but according to my bank (Chase) that's in the pipeline. Other than that, the apps that matter are FINE. And they're going to work GREAT on the 9900.

Of course I want a flasher phone. Of course I want some touchscreen functionality and a fast processor and a great camera. But I also need the CORE FEATURES AND RELIABILITY of a Blackberry. On paper (and from what I've seen in videos) the 9900 looks to me like the perfect compromise. iPhones and Android have a heck of a long way before they come anywhere near my requirements and they won't do for a loooong time. Stop worrying folks, the 9900 is going to be AWESOME. Sure, get an iPhone - you'll start getting p**** off with it within 2 weeks, and you'll make excuses for it, but after 4 weeks you'll finally snap and take it back to the store and swap it for a good old (but new) trusty BLACKBERRY and you'll get it home and KISS IT like I did after I took my iPhone 4 back.

I'm soooooo excited!
    eBud, anon3438645, Spawn12 and 2 others like this.
    06-24-11 12:41 AM
    Let's face it, there are some inescapable reasons why those of us who stick with Blackberry year after year retain our loyalty rather than rushing out to get the latest iPhone/Android toy.

1) Physical keyboard. I don't care how flashy or powerful a full touchscreen phone is, a physical keyboard ALWAYS wins. I've done my fair share of typing on a touchscreen and let's face it, it sucks. If you're a power user and you type a lot on your phone, you're going to need a proper keyboard. Especially if you use one of these babies for business. I laugh at some of the clumsily written messages and emails I get from my iPhone owning friends and business associates. It's embarrassing.

2) Nothing beats Blackberry for email. My business relies on me responding to emails in real time, no matter where I am and what I'm doing. I'm a power user. And I've tried an iPhone. The way it handles email is awful compared to a Blackberry. The notification system is a disgrace and even just browsing and editing your folders is a pain. Plus, the notification alarms and ringtones are so quiet you can't even hear the darn thing if you're out in traffic, even if you install so-called "loud" tones. I'm all over Manhattan in a typical working day and I hear my Blackberry wherever I am. It's wonderfully loud, it has an LED notification light, the screen notifications are excellent and what's more we have REAL push email which works without having to constantly poll the server, which is a huge part of what drains the battery so quickly on iPhone and Android phones.

3) Battery life. If you're a power user, especially for business, iPhone and Android battery life SUCKS. I tried the iPhone 4. With the brightness all the way down, 3G off, bluetooth off and every other setting either off or minimized, I got maybe 8 hours the way I use my phone in a typical working day. On my Bold 9700, I have EVERYTHING turned on, make bluetooth calls and email and game and use apps and browse the web on 3G all day, and the thing lasts me into the next day. In fact I've had 36 hours off of one charge. I don't care if the iPhone 5 has increased battery life, there's no way on earth it's competing with a BB on that score. Ditto Android.

4) Syncing data with Outlook etc - Blackberry does this so darn perfectly I want to kiss it. I had sooooo much trouble getting things to work right with the iPhone. Intermediate 3rd party apps etc. If you're a casual calendar user, not so much of a big deal. I schedule my entire business and employees with Outlook calendars and depend on things like recurring appointments and their changes syncing perfectly to my phone. The iPhone just didn't come close to the BB on that score. And it won't get any better with the iPhone 5.

Of course if you're a light user who only uses his or her phone for personal and pleasure, a lot of the above won't matter to you. But if your phone runs your life, there is NO BEATING a Blackberry! And sure the other phones have more apps. But 95% of them are either gimmicks, games or completely pointless. I'm sooooo distraught that I can't get a Blackberry App that teaches me how to make the perfect cup of coffee. I'm sooooo upset that I can't use my Blackberry to monitor my heart rate. Sure it sucks that I can't use it to deposit checks, but according to my bank (Chase) that's in the pipeline. Other than that, the apps that matter are FINE. And they're going to work GREAT on the 9900.

Of course I want a flasher phone. Of course I want some touchscreen functionality and a fast processor and a great camera. But I also need the CORE FEATURES AND RELIABILITY of a Blackberry. On paper (and from what I've seen in videos) the 9900 looks to me like the perfect compromise. iPhones and Android have a heck of a long way before they come anywhere near my requirements and they won't do for a loooong time. Stop worrying folks, the 9900 is going to be AWESOME. Sure, get an iPhone - you'll start getting p**** off with it within 2 weeks, and you'll make excuses for it, but after 4 weeks you'll finally snap and take it back to the store and swap it for a good old (but new) trusty BLACKBERRY and you'll get it home and KISS IT like I did after I took my iPhone 4 back.

I'm soooooo excited!
    I agree with you on the keyboard factor... That is the ONLY, the ONLY reason why I am still with BB. (oh battery too
    06-24-11 06:36 AM
    I agree with you on the keyboard factor... That is the ONLY, the ONLY reason why I am still with BB. (oh battery too
    But no longer from your post in another thread. Understandable since the bb doesn't do your university stuff.
    06-24-11 08:12 AM

I'm soooooo excited!
    This was a GREAT post.... Everything you say here is ME and thats why I am making this my first BB.... sick of the toys and useless app's.... August Cannot come soon enough!
    eBud, Sharke and Spawn12 like this.
    06-24-11 08:58 AM

I'm soooooo excited!
    Well said. I'm looking forward to this phone too.

People who prioritize messaging first will always prefer keyboard phones... Blackberry will always own that market. While they might not be completely bottomed out... the keyboard loyalists will flatten the decline soon.
    Last edited by CGI; 06-24-11 at 06:45 PM.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    06-24-11 06:42 PM
    ... Don't let OS7 (OS 6.1, remember?) fool you. Its exactly the same as OS6; just some icon changes and this so-called Liquid Graphics.

Dude! Have you seen the latest video? http://crackberry.com/video-tour-bla...old-touch-9900
    Definitely NOT the same as OS6. Dang OS7 flies and Liquid Graphics look better than anyone imagined.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 06-24-11 at 09:46 PM.
    06-24-11 09:44 PM
    I just returned to a BB (9780) after nearly 2 years away with the IP3Gs and 4.

I'd echo what others have said however the email handling of the IP is not as bad as some would make you think, proper IMAP across as many accounts as you want, move emails between folders, seamless OTA syncing of your contacts and calendar are all things that IMO the Iphone does much much better than a BB. I was surprised that 2 years on RIM had not addressed these. 2 weeks into owning my 9780 I have finally I hope sorted contact and calendar sync (fingers crossed) but it was a proper pain in the rear. Overall though as a messaging device I prefer the BB which is why I came back.

Back to the OP.....For me battery life is the key to whether I'll pick up the 9900. With the IP I became a slave to the charger, my 9780 is getting me 2 days between charges which is great. I expect the 9900 to have a better battery than IP and Android, if however it is a step down from the 9780 then it's probably no sale for me.
    Last edited by neil74; 07-29-11 at 05:01 AM.
    07-29-11 04:54 AM
    What QNX can do that OS 6 or 7 can't?

It can crash and freeze up constantly!
    07-29-11 05:30 AM
116 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD