1) By the time it comes out, call it outdated. BlackBerry devices will be running QNX 6 months - 1 year after the release of the Bold 9900.

2) The delay due to software issues got me hesitant to purchase the Bold 9900. Now they probably feel rushed to release the device out. I see a lot of bug related issue topics coming to this forum.

3) Don't let OS7 (OS 6.1, remember?) fool you. Its exactly the same as OS6; just some icon changes and this so-called Liquid Graphics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 10:19 PM
    k.

10chararar
    EnnEnn likes this.
    06-20-11 10:36 PM
    I'm not getting one either... but not for any of those reasons. It's too bukly for me and that's the determining factor right there.
    06-20-11 10:38 PM
    And this is all coming from someone who uses a 9780

At least the 9900 is a lot more upgrade than double the memory, and a 1.8mp increase in the camera after a whole year...
    AbuYazeedUK and yerfgofe like this.
    06-20-11 10:44 PM
    I really don't think QNX will be out on devices in 6 months? 1 year????Maybe. I do know one thing. I am not waiting anymore. If the 9930 is nothing great I am going to give an iphone a try while RIM is gettn their ducks in a row!

berrywithacherry and habner like this.
    06-20-11 11:08 PM
    the 9900 will be the thinnest berry yet, the torch is bulky.......
    sure it may be thinner, but it's width I'm talking about. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad phone. Just not my style. I'm waiting for the T2
    06-20-11 11:10 PM
    What QNX can do that OS 6 or 7 can't?

imrank128 likes this.
    06-20-11 11:13 PM
    I may not buy one either because when the hype is gone... the hype is gone... RIM and its leaders don't get it.
    totallygone and longtail like this.
    06-20-11 11:35 PM
    still getting it here... and os7 is a bit of an upgrade compared to 6... take a good look at the spec sheet for 7... then compare to 6... lots of additions
    06-21-11 12:21 AM
    I'll still get it because I don't think QNX OS is a viable option on a phone with a keyboard like on the Bold. Also, I'll lose all of my BB OS "stuff".
    06-21-11 12:35 AM
    sorry , I don't have any reason NOT to buy bold 9900

06-21-11 12:49 AM
    1) By the time it comes out, call it outdated. BlackBerry devices will be running QNX 6 months - 1 year after the release of the Bold 9900.
    Sure, QNX devices are likely to be out a year after BB7 handsets hit. But these days it seems (at least for tech heads) that phones only have a 1 year shelf life before being "outdated" or "obsolete". I've been using a 9550 since its release in 09 and it still gets things done. When it came out, it still roughly had the same hardware from the previous Storm 1 released in 08. BB7 handsets are up to todays standards and even exceed most devices from the competition.

2) The delay due to software issues got me hesitant to purchase the Bold 9900. Now they probably feel rushed to release the device out. I see a lot of bug related issue topics coming to this forum.
    It is common for almost every device that is released to have bugs which need to be remedied. This is not unusual. With there being some large hardware changes to an OS not originally designed for it, this is inevitable. I have faith RIM will get it stablized. Even the CB guys said the 9900 seemed ready for release more than a month ago at its first public debut at BB World.

3) Don't let OS7 (OS 6.1, remember?) fool you. Its exactly the same as OS6; just some icon changes and this so-called Liquid Graphics.
    No, that's not all that it is. We're also seeing huge hardware bumps. Many of us (CDMA Qualcomm BBs) are jumping from old 65nm architecture relating to the processor to 45nm. They are much more efficient and up to todays standards. The bump from 500-600MhZ from every current BB to 1.2GHz is huge. The unified hardware between handsets across the board (even between CDMA/GSM) will make software development easier and more timely.

The Liquid Graphics you mentioned is just a marketing term used for the decreased latency in the UI. However, this is huge for those complaining that the BBOS feels old and choppy compared to competitors. Now we will see the fluidity/eye candy we've seen on QNX, iOS, WP7, etc. Visually it is much more pleasing. The upgraded processor should prevent lockups and slowing down of the software as well. These are some of the biggest complaints I've heard.

Who cares if we're not seeing a dual core? Who cares if we're not seeing a poor quality 8MP camera?

BBOS will still have its flaws since it is built upon an old platform. But the upcoming BB7 handsets will be great. In fact, they look like some of the best devices out. I am looking forward to upgrading my 9550 to one. If it doesn't impress me upon real time use, I will buy something else that works for me. But from what I've seen in several leaked videos of 9560/9550s, the 9900 from BB World, and Engadget's high res 9810 video review, they will be very impressive. There is clearly a large demand from users for them.

One reason RIM has been getting so much heat is because of their poor smartphone sales. What do you expect with sucha large hiatus for major new handsets? Finally ,they are nearing the launch of them and I along with many other are excited.
    lycafe, kbz1960, imrank128 and 6 others like this.
    06-21-11 01:17 AM
    I got myself an android, and I don't regret my choice. I might take a blackberry again once the QNX devices are up to date
    06-21-11 01:18 AM
    Yup, still getting one. Let the drama queens have their day. I love the platform.
    06-21-11 01:56 AM
    Not getting one either, but mostly because it's too big and has a very limited lifespan - support/OS wise.
    06-21-11 02:27 AM

1) it'll probably take about 8-12months till the first QNX phone gets released, the first one will be an all touchscreen device
    you can add a few more months till we see the first QNX device with a physical keyboard

im 100% sure QNX will help RIM recover from all this and that in time we will all absolutely love QNX on our phones, but... we dont know how well it'll work on their first QNX phone, we dont know how many features from OS 7 we can keep (i like the BB OS) etc

im sure if there'd be big problems with QNX on phones, they'll quicky upgrade the OS, and im sure they'll bring out more and more QNX phones very quickly...
    if we're lucky, we might see the first full touchscreen QNX phone in april 2012, maybe in august-september they'll follow with a physical keyboard QNX smartphone and something else, and we might see another high-end phone in Q1 2013

so: it might take 8-12 months till we see the first QNX phone, it takes 1year+ till we see the first physical keyboard QNX device, we dont know if the first QNX phones will be a success or not (if we like them or if we'll miss our old OS features) - and they'll bring out more and more QNX phones more quickly than they did with their previous phones
    so ur 1) is not a reason for me

2) please tell me 1 OS which didnt have a few bugs when it got released
    3) thats not true at all ; >

i know that i will absolutely love this phone, and it wont be outdated the moment it gets released, man... whats with people?
    i think its an absolutely awesome phone, the form factor, the keyboard.. we also get a touchscreen
    OS 7 wont be a mass-app-platform, but seriously? im sure we'll get quite a few apps, and also all the important/good/main-apps from OS 5 / OS 6

if you call it outdated because it doesnt have a dual-core processor, well.. i actually dont need one yet, we need one for QNX, but for OS 7?
    why would we actually want one? the dual-core phones which are currently on the market got like 5hour battery life, "awesome" ....
    and i also dont care that OS 7 wont have 200k apps, because 190k of the iOS-apps are games.. and i dont care about games on my smartphone..

and the fact that you feel you have to tell us why you DONT NEED the bold 9900 just makes it obvious you actually want one, but you probably dont want to pay the full price for it, or your parents wont buy you a new phone every year

thats perfectly fine, but at least be honest and dont give us these petty reasons, the 9900 will be an awesome device

now im done
    Last edited by Seijuro; 06-21-11 at 03:58 AM.
    06-21-11 03:56 AM
    ^^^what he said
    06-21-11 04:44 AM
    I dig the size - I'm using my 9000 now (although the track ball blows after using the track pad) and I prefer the 9000 keyboard size versus the 9780 I had.

This bad boy is mine release day. People say the hype is over, or it's outdated....it is impossible for a consumer to keep up with technology. You buy a computer today and it's already outdated from the time it got to the store. Playbook owners? Already outdated. But you have to admit, it's an awesome device!
    JUSTQUAN2 and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    06-21-11 07:26 AM
    What QNX can do that OS 6 or 7 can't?

Main things are: Flash, real multitasking (like games or so running in the background), Androidapps, Mulitcore (more power with more battery), "real" office tools;
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-21-11 07:27 AM
    Main things are: Flash, real multitasking (like games or so running in the background), Androidapps, Mulitcore (more power with more battery), "real" office tools;
    What "real" office tools are you referring to?
    06-21-11 07:31 AM
    Although I am eligible for a new upgrade every year from AT&T, I most likely won't get it because I'm not in the habit of upgrading my phone every freakin' year. Every other year is fine by me. I just got the Torch last August after having the 9000 for (just under) two years before that -- which was fine even after the 9700 came out. I can "suffer" with the Torch for another year.

Edit: Maybe.
    06-21-11 07:40 AM
    cant wait to get one!! ... the best in class smart phone out there ... bb9900!!

pkcable likes this.
    06-21-11 07:44 AM
    I can't wait for this device to come out. I am using a Storm 2 and have grown to dislike the touchscreen. My work device is a Driod Pro, which has a physical keyboard and I now know that a physical keyboard is a must. Actually the 9900/9930 and the Droid Pro are very similar in terms of mix of touch screen and physical keyboard. I'll be first in line (online) to order this puppy as soon as Verizon has it for sale.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-21-11 07:50 AM
    I'm getting one, BUT I might be changing carriers IF what we are hearing about Verizon data plans is true. Plus I've been thinking about going to the GSM side anyways for the better battery life and the 4G (or at least what they are CALLING 4G, which the 9900 is getting, but the 9930 is not - no LTE or WiMax in the 9930)
    ridesno159 likes this.
    06-21-11 07:57 AM

and the fact that you feel you have to tell us why you DONT NEED the bold 9900 just makes it obvious you actually want one, but you probably dont want to pay the full price for it, or your parents wont buy you a new phone every year
    Priceless....definitely agreed, go get a summer a job so you can join the cool crowd in late august!

I am definitely getting the new BB's not sure yet if it will be the Bold or Torch 2...

I had several BB's over the years and recently got a HTC EVO 4G to see what all the hype is about. Not impressed, yes my screen is huge and I can watch Netflix as I eat my lunch at work but when it comes to typing it has nothing on a BB. The full touch screen phones are cumbersome and in my case lead to a lot of typing errors. Can�t wait to get back to my crackberry ways.
    06-21-11 07:59 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD