Hi,

I have had this issue of my BlackBerry phones using too much data from my allowance. I switched network and now I seem to be using 500mb of data each month with no video streaming, no music streaming, 10 minutes of browsing the web (checking the news) and 4 email accounts and lots of BBM. I do not believe at all this is 500mb of data.

I now use my 9900 over Wifi, yet BIS still defaults to the Mobile Network. I am very annoyed as sometimes I see the connection defaults straight away when I am using Wifi. But mostly this isn't the case which means my BlackBerry is somehow using too much data.

This is my forth BlackBerry from Vodafone, as so far I am yet to have one that will last more than 3 months without developing a serious fault.

Torch 9800 1: Screen died
    Torch 9800 2: Network kept dropping
    Bold 9900 1: Buttons didn't work after day 2
    Bold 9900 2: Too much data!!!

What can I do to make sure that I don't use this ridiculous amount of data which is costing me more money per month. I also want to make sure that Wifi is the route for BIS when connected to Wifi. How can I do this?

Thank you so much. I love my BlackBerry but I cannot keep paying extra per month on data when my iPhone did the same job for much less data
    01-19-12 01:56 PM
    I have uninstalled all the apps that I do not use. I have the latest OS from Vodafone UK and I have been having this issue since my first BlackBerry on Vodafone. I have called them but they have assured me that it must be me using such a large amount of data.

Something I should say is I use my BB on 2G as I can get more battery life out of it. However when I do this, it won't connect BIS via Wifi? But now I have put it on 3G and it works? Does this make a difference?

I had a look at service books and there is a lot, what are these for? I don't see why there is 2 for each of my email accounts.

Thank you! I really appreciate your time.
    01-19-12 02:12 PM
    Its device version 7.0.0.585
    01-19-12 02:14 PM
    Get a data tracking app and keep an eye on your wifi/carrier usage so you can try and isolate the problem. This is the one I use:

http://mda.e-office.com/
    Barljo likes this.
    01-19-12 02:29 PM
    I have installed that app which shows no apps are using much data as expected. I have changed the network mode to 3G & 2G and so far the wifi connection allows BIS? However, this takes a few minutes to go through...
    01-19-12 02:50 PM
    I don't know about that app, or any like it. Does it only give a snapshot in time, or does it log. I would imagine it can log, and I would be interested what it reveals over a 24 hour period.

For what it's worth, I have little doubt that somehow you are using the data, somehow, and that it isn't a carrier mistake.

I think you posted that you deleted all apps you do not use, but what about those you do use. What comes to mind are apps that (a) run all the time, even when "closed", and (b) repeatedly hit the network for updates. IM and social apps are notorious.

The other thing that comes to mind is BBM. If all you are doing is straight messaging, I agree you would not use much data. But are you sending and receiving media files? If you are sharing pictures, or music files, you could be using very significant amounts of data.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by aiharkness; 01-19-12 at 03:04 PM.
    01-19-12 03:01 PM
    I don't know I have never had a problem with my data with any blackberry.. I use to have the torch and my plan I have 1gb of data and I usually use Facebook bbm sometimes goodle maps and weather apps and without going on wifi the max I can be using is less then 200 mb a month and with the bold I am going a bit over 200mb but still its nothing I never go over my data usage
    01-19-12 04:32 PM
    This is ridiculous in my opinion, I have no idea how I can be using 500+ when the BlackBerry is supposed to compress data. If my usage this month goes over, then I am going to have to with deep regret leave BlackBerry

Why with Wifi does BIS still connect via the mobile network? It sometimes connects and then sometimes it stays on Mobile Network despite full wireless coverage?
    Why with no apps running other than BBM, Twitter, Whatsapp, and 4 Email accounts is this phone using so much data?

I am close to getting rid of this and going to another platform, I am extremely disappointed as I love this phone and with my PlayBook they go together so well.
    01-19-12 04:42 PM
    How do you actually know it's connecting through the mobile network and not wifi?
    01-19-12 05:03 PM
    Under service status it shows "Mobile Network" but occasionally it will work through the WiFi.
    01-19-12 05:27 PM
    Under service status it shows "Mobile Network" but occasionally it will work through the WiFi.
    You are probably having connectivity problems with your wifi router. Check the router's logs and see if it shows deauthenticate errors.

I had the same problem as you in regards to maintaining a wifi connection on my Bold 9000 a few years ago and I had to change from a Dlink router to another brand.
    01-19-12 05:43 PM
    Do you have any weather, ereader, news, or anything at all that can update by itself at set frequency? Another side note, if you're going to leave bb, there isn't really any smartphone out there for you. Everything else uses more data from my experience. I can use 500mb in under 3 days on android. I use my bb heavily and I usually end the month around 500mb so that's pretty surprising. I bbm probably couple of hundred messages including pictures a day, receive email from 4 emails, email a bit from my phone, read berryreader throughout the day, use gps (telenav), stream music (slacker), have weather update every 3 hours, and even occasionally watch a youtube video or two. We have quite drastic difference in usuage here so I have no idea why you would have so much data.
    01-19-12 09:11 PM
    I don't know how I can use so much data. I am going to ring my network tonight and ask for advice as I seem to use just too much with only BBM, Whatsapp, read email, and some Twitter. To load Crackberry is 200k according to the data usage app I have! This just can't be right.
    01-20-12 06:48 AM
    Are you getting attachments in you 4 email accounts? Are they all setup for html? 500mb of data really isn't that much these days if you do much of anything at all.
    01-20-12 07:18 AM
    It may sound a daft question but do you always exit the browser correctly? To stop using the browser you must hold down the escape key (back button) until the browser closes. If you just use the end key you are still connected and still browsing.
    01-20-12 07:22 AM
    You are probably having connectivity problems with your wifi router.
    I had this issue and burned data because my wifi was cutting off. I burned data inadvertently when I was streaming music and watching YouTube!
    01-20-12 07:47 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if my router is the cause of the drop out.

However, I do not understand why I am able to use so much data on 3G. Please can you advise me if my service books are invalid or if I need to contact my network?

Unless browsing really does use a lot of data?
    01-20-12 12:09 PM
    3G is just the speed/route in which the data travels. That would not have an affect on how much data you actually use.

Streaming stuff uses a lot of data and if you aren't doing that then I'm at a lose unless you aren't closing some of your programs properly. Also, check your WiFi as others have suggested as you may not actually be connected fully.
    01-20-12 12:21 PM
    That data tracker app I linked to will differentiate wifi from 3G data, so it will be pretty easy to tell if you're using wifi or not.
    01-20-12 12:34 PM
    Do you leave Twitter running in the background or do you exit it? How often does it refresh (or do you have it set to manual)? My guess, just from what you say, is that the culprit might be Twitter. I am not as familiar with Whatsapp, but it might also be eating data.
    01-20-12 12:44 PM
    I have my Twitter app update every 5 minutes, and the data usage from that is minimal. I don't see that being the primary culprit.
    01-20-12 02:15 PM
    Ok. Without any downloads and minimal browsing (no Bridge) I, on average, use about 30Mb per day. That is emails, BBM, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter (both set to refresh every hour), accuweather (1 hour refresh), Score Mobile and throw in some SugarSync.

Ok, I do get plenty emails and on a good day I can get up to 200 business related and some days when chatting to friends on the mailing list I can receive up to 500.

500Mb would never get me through 2 weeks just doing basic stuff nevermind a whole month. I'm in awe of those of you who use 200Mb per month...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 02:28 PM
    interesting thread, ive been on Voda UK for 3-4years and have always questioned the rather high data usage (3x blackberry bolds) I have questioned Voda seversl times but id rather cut my own wrists than talk to those useless people.

it amazes me how you can pay a company so much money for so long and still not get a straight answer.
    01-20-12 02:41 PM
    I can't put my finger on what exactly is causing such a high amount of data. Although, I think I just am using a lot of data as I send a lot of BBM messages. So far, I am cutting my usage down to 10mb a day.

Although my wifi still sometimes works with BIS but then other times it doesnt work at all which is very strange. I seem to have to disconnect from the network and then when I reconnect it works! Thats very annoying.

And the data usage app doesnt track BIS. Just whether wifi is active or not. And then tracks from there.

I have a feeling something is not right with Vodafone as previously when I was with O2 I was using at the very max 100mb a month with similar usage patterns.

And worst of all - I did more on my iPhone for less data.
    01-20-12 04:27 PM
    I had the same mysterious large data bursts when I switched over from my 8900 to my 9900. Turns out that it was Ubertwitter that was the issue. No idea why it was not an issue on my 8900 anyhow I got rid of it and all is well
    01-20-12 04:38 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD