I bought a T-Mobile 9900 and was slightly disappointed to see that there is no NFC function activated on the handset and thought I would overcome this 'inconvenience' by side-loading an updated OS that's non-T-Mobile. Alas, that has not worked for me.

Is there anyway at all that I can get the NFC option to show up on my systems menu and have to option to use the feature?
    11-01-11 03:02 AM
    Heres a little bit of sad news for T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9900 users. According to a RIM Near Field Communication (NFC) team member, it isnt looking good for you to be able to use NFC on your 9900. RIM engineers were specifically told to write in an exception for T-Mobile phones based on the Vendor ID.
    Therefore, no matter what OS you install, leaked or official, it will not open up the NFC capability on the device. That is, however, unless T-Mobile decides to allow NFC in the future. Any of you 9900 Tmo users upset at this? Or, do you not really care about NFC since it isnt fully usable yet?

from: T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9900s Will Likely Not Get NFC | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    In Verizon case, a new version of BB OS enabled the NFC.

For devices bought from T-Mobile, if the above rumor on n4bb is correct, NFC availability might be based on Vendor ID and not BB OS version.

I don't know why some carriers are doing this. You have after all paid (or are going to pay) for the NFC chip in the 9900.
    11-05-11 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD