Hey all,

Im on an iPhone 4s - and Im with Rogers/Fido....

I wanted to try the 9900 I have and they kept telling me that iPhone 4s data and Blackberry data is not the same...and that if I add the blackberry data plan to my iphone it may not work...I just wanted to jump between both devices to see which I like more.

So today I spoke to a very knowledgeable rep - and she said that there will be no issue adding the blackberry option to my account and it will keep the 6GB data option as well. And, that my iphone will continue to work no issues if I want to remain on it.

Just wanted you all to know that it worked no problem....the blackberry data option is there and the iphone 4s is working no issue- and just as fast as usual in data transfer speeds..

Just some helpful info for anyone interested.
    02-13-12 04:38 PM
    Definitely wouldn't work on Verizon. The BB data plan provisions for BIS where standard data plans do not.
    02-13-12 04:53 PM
    The way it is set up now - my iphone 4s works fine - and if I pop a sim into my 9900 and unlock it - Im assuming that ill have access to the BIS.

I was told that and iphone/android smartphone can work on a blackberry plan - but not visa versa....a blackberry cannot work on a regular smartphone plan.

so the way i see it - its smarter to leave the blackberry option on - and this way you can use any smartphone you like....
    02-13-12 04:57 PM
    I thought the BlackBerry data option only got a seperate designation from a standard data package in that your account has to be validated thru the carriers ability to provision a BlackBerry for BIS whereas (obviously) other devices can't use BIS. Excluding that, it shouldn't be any different in any way to a standard data package no?
    02-13-12 04:59 PM
    Exactly....so the data is the same - but now If I need to use the BIS for a blackberry I can with no issue - and any other smartphone can also feed from the data...
    02-13-12 05:14 PM
    Hey all,

Im on an iPhone 4s - and Im with Rogers/Fido....

I wanted to try the 9900 I have and they kept telling me that iPhone 4s data and Blackberry data is not the same...and that if I add the blackberry data plan to my iphone it may not work...I just wanted to jump between both devices to see which I like more.

So today I spoke to a very knowledgeable rep - and she said that there will be no issue adding the blackberry option to my account and it will keep the 6GB data option as well. And, that my iphone will continue to work no issues if I want to remain on it.

Just wanted you all to know that it worked no problem....the blackberry data option is there and the iphone 4s is working no issue- and just as fast as usual in data transfer speeds..

Just some helpful info for anyone interested.
    The problem with jumping between the devices is the microSIM card, no?
    02-13-12 05:25 PM
    So the iphone or an android would be going thru RIM's NOC?
    02-13-12 05:27 PM
    The problem with jumping between the devices is the microSIM card, no?
    There was a thread here where a user wrecked the SIM slot on the 9900 by using a micoSIM to SIM adapter. When he tried to pull it out it jammed on some pins and the pins broke off.
    02-13-12 05:52 PM
    I don't believe that all of the data that goes out to a BlackBerry goes through rims servers. Which is why if you have a blackberry and you don't have a Sim card in it you can still connect to a home Wi-Fi network and surf the Internet as you can on any other smart phone. I don't believe that when you're Wi-Fi surfing the data is running through the NOC I believe that much of the data that goes to a BlackBerry is the same data that goes through to any other smart phone. Email and other applications that utilize special proprietary blackberry only services do however go back to rim servers (I believe but that's just my opinion).

Can anybody verify that this is the case? What and when does data go through the Noc?
    02-13-12 08:18 PM
    Oh yes indeed...and RIM has specially trained engineers standing by watching that too! They want to make Android and iPHONE users experience the same server outages as us BlackBerry users, to put us all on a level playing field!
    02-13-12 08:33 PM
    Oh yes indeed...and RIM has specially trained engineers standing by watching that too! They want to make Android and iPHONE users experience the same server outages as us BlackBerry users, to put us all on a level playing field!
    OK SA the guy said he is using an iphone on his BIS.
    02-13-12 08:40 PM
    I don't believe that all of the data that goes out to a BlackBerry goes through rims servers. Which is why if you have a blackberry and you don't have a Sim card in it you can still connect to a home Wi-Fi network and surf the Internet as you can on any other smart phone. I don't believe that when you're Wi-Fi surfing the data is running through the NOC I believe that much of the data that goes to a BlackBerry is the same data that goes through to any other smart phone. Email and other applications that utilize special proprietary blackberry only services do however go back to rim servers (I believe but that's just my opinion).

Can anybody verify that this is the case? What and when does data go through the Noc?
    It's not the "data" as per se, it's part of the application data...BBM, e-mail both BIS and BES...etc...browser, if you're on a BES, not BIS and other various application data. WiFi or WWan, it makes no difference...same data goes through the NOC on either wireless connection. That's the whole key to RIM's platform. The security of the device data is partially dependent on the RIM NOC/Servers.
    02-13-12 08:40 PM
    OK SA the guy said he is using an iphone on his BIS.
    On his BIS PLAN....yes.

Only a BlackBerry can access a BIS - but BlackBerry BIS plans are simple regular data plans, with a provision for BB devices to use the BIS - and RIM gets's money for any BIS plan activated.

You can put ANY data device on a BES/BIS plan and it will work, but only a BlackBerry can access BIS/BES, nothing else...

You can use a BlackBerry on a NON Blackberry data plan too...you just won't have BIS or BES E-mail...or BBM. Get it now?
    nashshafrulrezza likes this.
    02-13-12 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD